Just Think About It | Teen Ink

Just Think About It

By Nate7962 BRONZE, Lebanon, Maine
Nate7962 BRONZE, Lebanon, Maine

" You know my name, not my story."

Hi. Let me introduce myself. My name is Nate. I have a dream, like most teenagers. My dream is different though. I want that kid that comes to school and goes straight to class because he is scared of the things people say to him, to feel welcome. I want him to be able to smile, and not be scared of what people say. I want him to be able to eat lunch in the lunchroom instead of the guidance office because he’s so embarrassed. Now, this is just an article in a contest that I entered. It might not mean much to you, but thank you for reading. Let me tell you my story.

I was born with a birth defect and walk with a limp. Now, so what? What is wrong with walking a little different? Well, I wish I could tell you. I never understood why people made fun of me about it. They didn’t know my story, and they didn’t know what I went through. Endless amount of surgeries, and therapies because of some thing that I had no control over, to fix my differences. I struggle enough, I don’t need your opinions. Now, I didn’t write this article to tell you about me, and what my story is. I wrote this article to tell you how to get over bullying. How can I do that in 500 words or less, I’m not quite sure but let me try.

First off, you’re beautiful. The little quirks that you have make you who you are. You look great today. Don’t worry about how skinny, muscular, or tan you are. Your smile is the best thing about you. Do me a favor, and smile more. That kid that called you a name this morning? Understand their story. They have some family issues going on and they have no one to talk to. There is some thing you can do. Start talking to them. They are actually really nice. They have the same sense of humor that you do. Their smile is just as beautiful as yours. They need a friend, and that is you. You are there for them aren’t you? They need someone to speak up for them, but they don’t want to ask for it. They have too much pride. Will you do me a favor? The person that you just thought of, will you give them a hug? Thank you.

Be who you are, not who everyone wants you to be. The clothes you wear, they are fine. Because they aren’t what’s ‘in’ doesn’t mean that you aren’t beautiful. Everyone’s life is precious. Who are you to take that away from them? If you are bullying someone right now, I want you to think of this: How would you feel if they committed suicide because of what you said? They would never see how beautiful life really is. Let them be who they are, just because you know their name doesn’t mean you know their story.

Believe in yourself, and be who you are.