Drown This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Do you know what a drowning person looks like? I can tell you – it's not flailing and screaming. The person goes down slowly and quietly. He flails, but not visibly. Then he slowly slips under.

The truth is, people drown every day, and not just in water. First comes the stress. Homework, relationships, work, changes. It weakens them little by little. Then someone makes fun of them, sneers at them for no reason, tells them they'd be better off dead. Dead. They sink lower. They start reaching out for something to grab. But then they start to consider it. If they really did die, who would cry? Who would even notice? Who would miss them? What have they done that people would remember? These thoughts lead to depression, and they go completely under. All the stress hurts them. Damages them. And their mind focuses on one line of thinking. I don't matter. Everyone hates me. I can't do anything good.

A captain on a snorkeling ship has to watch. It's his job to check and see that everybody's okay. He can recognize the signs that someone is drowning. What about you? Look around. Do you notice someone who seems to be struggling? Reach out and give her a hand. Or are you embarrassed to associate with people who are not in your “crowd”? Do you think the captain would let someone die because he was afraid to get his clothes wet? No. But the real question is …

Would you?

TanviKusumThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 2:23 pm:
This is absolutely true. Sometimes you feel all alone even when there are people around you, it's always a good idea to make people around you feel that they are important because in this world we slowly forget what we are living for.

SmileySami said...
This is amazing! You are a very talented writer!

Smiles189This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:37 am:
This is a ver good way of descriping stress, and slowly sinking under, I think that this piece of writing, might just save some lives

Firetip This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 15, 2013 at 5:17 pm:
Thank you so much! :)

supertigerMMC said...
May 15, 2013 at 1:23 am:
I really like all of your stories, but I'd have to say this is my favorite. I've drowned both ways, but in both situations, I've been able to pull myself out of it, but I can definetely relate to that. Your style is really amazing and keep up the great work!! I'm looking forward to reading more of your stories!!

amordecaballosThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:14 pm:
Great analogy! I feel like it explains it well. It was well written too! 

laila_265 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:30 pm:
This is awesome!! I love the ending- a challenge to everyone. And I like how you began and ended it with literal drowning, but also related it to the other ways that so many people "drown." Very relatable- great job!

Plume said...
this is wonder ful !!!! its so inspiring. keep on writing!!!! pls check out my work it would mean a lot

Patty Blount said...
What an amazing post. I hope people read it and see themselves in it. I've long been maintaining that it's the bystanders all anti-bullying programs need to address. 

IMAdreamerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:14 pm:

wow!!!!!! really powerful... way to send messege after messege through one idea!!!!!!!!!

ps. will u please check out my work??????????????????????   =D

Firetip This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 15, 2012 at 1:34 pm :
Thanks! And fo shizzle.

AntWrangler13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:56 am:
Omjeezums, first of all, it's so deep! The way you've linked bullying/depression/suicide to drowning is so clever, and so true. It's actually inspirational-most people who read articles on this matter can't relate, due to it mostly being just facts and information. But you've managed to link it to something real, and for that, I applaud you. Well done, keep writing! :D 

Feb. 25, 2012 at 10:33 pm :
Thanks Ant. It's cool to get comments from an *AWESOME* writer such as yourself. Thanks for the praise. It makes me feel good. And 'yall should read his(?) stuff. It's really good.

AntWrangler13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 27, 2012 at 11:48 am :
Haha thanks, and it's a she, but no biggie ;D

Mar. 2, 2012 at 9:49 pm :
I should've figured. Almost every writer I've met has been a girl. Nothing against girls of course. In fact, 9/10 times girls are much more intelligent than boys. That's my 2 cents worth.

Mar. 3, 2012 at 4:31 pm :
Haha, well, thank you I suppose :)

Feb. 16, 2012 at 4:58 pm:
Just as a reminder, those who comment will not be forgotten. I'll read some of your stuff as well! It's a win-win for everyone.

KatsKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 15, 2012 at 8:32 pm:
Interesting article . . . . I read the RD article too, which I think is interesting, as most people don't actually know what drowning is, and although they think they do ,if something happens people might die because of their misconceptions- an important point to be addressed.

starbucks_queen21 replied...
Feb. 25, 2012 at 8:30 am :
Wow! This was really really good! I liked it a lot!! :) I can also relate to parts of it. Great Job! :)

Feb. 25, 2012 at 8:54 am :
Thanks star. ;)