How to Deal with Bullies | Teen Ink

How to Deal with Bullies

By The100Hollows BRONZE, Sacromento, California
The100Hollows BRONZE, Sacromento, California

Dear everyone,

Have you ever been bullied before? I was bullied for six years straight, first grade to sixth grade. I hated school everyday. One time I had four bullies picking on me at once. I fought back one day and was expelled, but stopped two of them from picking on me ever again! Fighting back worked for me and may do the same for you.

If you don't fight back you will have anger and sadness locked inside yourself. I know this because I have anger and sadness locked inside myself ever since first grade. It's just waiting for that one moment in my next true fight to be released (I don't look forward to it). If you can't or refuse to fight back or to get stronger to protect yourself, you will continue to build up more anger and sadness over the years, and one day you will snap, and you might hurt someone you cared for.

When you fight back, you may even gain some power over the bully(s) that picks on you. The bully will learn to not mess with you after you have shown them that you will not tolerate the treatment. If you do gain power over them, DON'T go over board! It could ruin your quality of life!

Truthfully, I think kids should NOT be suspended for fighting back. In the law, a person has the right to defend him or herself, in other words, you CAN fight back! School rules are stupid when it comes to defense! You fight back against a bully, but it will come to a price for the pathetic school defense policy.

That's what I think of fighting back or how to REALLY deal with a bully. ALL of this worked for me when I finally realized it, and no jerk has messed with me for a while.

WARNING!!!!

These will not always work, but is better then waiting for someone to do it for you while you suffer

Yours Truly,

Patrick A.

SergeantSteel82 GOLD, Fort Wayne, Indiana

one of the greatest tragedies of our time is this impression that has been created that science and religion have to be at war.
-Francis Collins

I may never let go of my anger and wrath,
But I will always have the last laugh.
-Corey Taylor

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

Before I open my big mouth, I am not trying to diminish this paper or author in any way, shape or form, because this is a great article, and good job standing up to your bullies. There is a difference between defending your self and assaulting someone, unless the bully had made a move that harmed your physical well being, you shouldn't start punching. I was bullied, and I know that feeling of helplessness, and how teachers won't always believe the student. You have the right to defend your self, but its nearly impossible alone. Try to get some people you trust to help you, stand up as a group, that, in my opinion, is the best option. Because like @mplo said, you have the right to defend your self if you are being assaulted by another person. The reason schools discourage physical fighting as a way to stop bullying is because when your an adult, fighting someone will most likely land you in jail or with a big fine, not to mention if the other person sues you. Violence is never the best answer.

insanefoxgurl07 BRONZE, Fountain, Colorado

"If you're always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be."
~ Maya Angelou

I hate how school rules make it so that even if you don't defend yourself and get beaten to a pulp, you can still get suspended or even expelled and all schools are like "wElL iT dOeSn'T mAtTeR wHo StArTeD tHe FiGhT" By law, we are allowed to defend ourselves and schools strip us of that right. Well said!

Japs said...
Japs, Poway, California
Hamburger

lmao said...
lmao, Canada, Alabama
lmoa lol

mplo said...
on Jan. 10 2017 at 8:38 am
It's disgusting that when a person who sticks up for him/herself when being bullied, whether it be physically or psychologically, s/he is the one that often gets into trouble. While it's true that one has a legal right to defend him/herself if they're the victim of an unprovoked physical assault, it's also true, however, that going beyond what's necessary to ward off the assault can land one in a nasty legal bind, and perhaps even be involved in a pretty expensive civil lawsuit. That being said, a victim of an unprovoked physical assault has a legal right to defend him/herself to the best of their ability, but not to exceed what's necessary to stop the assault.

mplo said...
This is an excellent essay, Patrick A.! Thanks. Learning how to fight back increases a young person's confidence, therefore reducing his/her likelihood of being a future target. Glad you were able to defend yourself and get those jerks to quit hassling you.

on Dec. 12 2013 at 9:54 am
Butterflygirl172, Cleremont, Florida

Keep loving your friends and family

It's tru stick up for your self and fight back don't just stand there like a turtle and get beat up keep it up it's great how people talk about this is I got bullied a lot and know I am going to put my foot down.

ambber BRONZE said...
ambber BRONZE, Newfoundland, Pennsylvania
bulling is not good at all. i seen a kid kill himself over bullying. bullying has took over so many peoples life. the bullying has to stop 8% of kids under the age of 14 die a year because of bullying.