Polygamy: The Perfect Community | Teen Ink

Polygamy: The Perfect Community

By KKbubbles_12 SILVER, Charles City, Iowa
KKbubbles_12 SILVER, Charles City, Iowa

Everyone seems to say that Polygamy is the worst thing ever, with news stories about abuse and families being ripped apart, but that’s not always the case…. Here’s why.

First of all, that one group of Polygamy in Utah does NOT make up all of Polygamy.I mean, that’s like saying all Muslims are terrorists, and we all know that’s not true. For example, there is one group of Polygamists on TV, and the show is called "Sister Wives". They’re a very happy family with a man, Kody Brown, who has 4 wives, and for them that is perfectly normal. There are no families being ripped apart, though, or a leader who decides everything, from the toys they play with, to whom they may have children with, and even what they buy at the grocery store. They are simply a happy family with 1 man, 4 women, and 17 children. There is nothing wrong with that.

Although polygamy is not a religion, there are some religions that do allow the practice of it, however, not all groups have the same beliefs about their practice of polygamy. That one group in Utah might have some issues, yes, but again, they don’t represent all of polygamists. In fact, most polygamists are like the example above; they are just families that follow the practice of polygamy. To stereotype that practice is wrong. People who do that are making very general statements that are not true. Some people may say that Polygamy is a very bad practice, abusing children and ripping families apart, but the point that I am trying to get across is that it’s not like that. The practice of Polygamy, and the people who follow it do different things than other people might do, but that doesn’t mean that people have to go and say that all Polygamy is “wrong.” Yes, I understand why people say those things about that specific group, but to say that about all Polygamy, that hurts me. I mean, how would you feel if someone came up to you, or your family, and said that what you’re doing is wrong? What would you say, “that is just my religion?” Well, why can’t Polygamy be “just their religion?” Why do people have to say that to them, and not respect that that is their practice, and that is what they do? That specific group in Utah is one group. What they are doing is called following their religion. If someone comes up to you and says “Ugh, I just hate Muslims!” That is a HUGE stereotype. Muslims follow a religion that may be different, yes, but not all of them are terrorists! That’s a very general statement that can be taken very seriously. Some people of that religion take things more seriously than others, that’s all.

The point I am trying to get across to you is that not all Polygamy is “wrong” like that. A lot of people in the world make generalizations that are not true, because not all polygamy is wrong, not all Muslims are terrorists, not all African American people are bad people. I hope you now understand that stereotypes should not be used in this world. Don’t judge the whole thing just because one thing you have seen about it is bad.

This was an assignment for SS, and I thought I should put my input about polygamy out there.