Stores Spying | Teen Ink

Stores Spying

February 20, 2015
By 19mckmol BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
19mckmol BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Do you ever feel like you are being watched? Maybe you are. Some stores have been spying on their shoppers and taking personal information but; not all of the spying is bad and I think stores should spy on you just less extreme than some stores are.

    First of all by some stores spying they can help you buy something you couldn’t previously afford. According to “Attention, Shoppers: You Are Being Stalked!” the store can send a coupon to your phone for the item you looked at. I believe this is just another way for stores to try and help business grow and that this spying isn’t bad.

    Another way some stores may be spying on you is simply by using cameras. According to “Attention, Shoppers: You Are Being Stalked!” some stores are using high-resolution surveillance cameras that can zoom in close enough to see your every freckle. I think if this spying was used to catch criminals that may be in the store rather than spying on shoppers, then it wouldn’t be scary.

    Lastly some stores could have been watching you when you think your shopping alone. According to ConsumerReport.org some stores have gaze trackers that are hidden in tiny holes in the shelving and even some mannequins have cameras as eyes that detect age, sex, ethnicity and even the facial expressions of those who pass by. This is where I think stores spying has gone too far because the shoppers could be oblivious to this.

    In conclusion I believe that stores should spy on you just less extreme than they are. Sending coupons to shoppers in fine, watching shoppers with high resolution surveillance cameras is fine if it is used in the right way, watching shoppers with hidden gaze trackers and cameras in mannequins isn’t fine and I think that is too extreme.