Broken Soul | Teen Ink

Broken Soul

Broken Soul
She has a monster living in her head. It tears her apart...piece by piece. She screams at the top of her lungs but no one hears her. She sinks to the floor, her fingernails digging into her skull in an attempt to silence the voices that are overcoming here. But the demons just fight back and the voices get louder. The excruciating pain continues until she can’t take it anymore. She crawls shakily to the little box under her bed and pulls out her blade. Up comes her sleeve and and places the cold metal to her skin and...slice. Over and over again until her arm is full of blood. Desperately trying to get rid of the pain. Trying, for one moment, to just feel something. Then, when the task is done, she sits back and cries as the blood trickles down her arm. Cries because she is worthless. Cries because no matter what, she will never be what anybody wants her to be. Cries because she just isn’t happy and she doesn’t think that she ever will be. And this continues each night until, finally, she breaks. She drops the mask she puts on for everyone and whispers to herself, “I can’t do this anymore…” and that was it. Her broken soul was set free from the dark cage that imprisoned her all her life, and no one knew her struggle. This is in fact a true story. I should know...it’s my story and although I don’t know the ending quite yet, I can only imagine that the one written here is the one chosen for me.

This topic is a very soft spot for me. When I wrote this I wasn't in the best place, however, even at my lowest point, I was able to make it through and beat my demons. That is the main purpose for submitting this piece; not for me but for other people who are going through what I went through and am still struggling with. This is to let them know that not only are they not alone but that you CAN get through it no matter what. You just have to stay strong and keep fighting. It is possible.