Having a Knack for Cubes | Teen Ink

Having a Knack for Cubes

January 20, 2014
By indy18 PLATINUM, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
indy18 PLATINUM, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
22 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Rubik’s Cube hit high school students over this past year. Now, students are racing to see who can solve the cube the fastest.

Elliot, a senior, said, “I learned back in the eighth grade but I forgot how to do it. I re-taught myself last week to race against some of my friends.”

There are many different types of Rubik’s cubes.

Elliot said, “My favorite type of cube is a speed cube. It slides and moves really well without ever getting caught.”

The current world record for the Rubik’s cube is six seconds.

Elliot said, “My best is one minute and 22 seconds.”

With learning to solve one of these tactical puzzles, one must memorize algorithms.

Elliot said, “I have eight algorithms in order to solve the cube. It took me about a week to memorize all of these algorithms. I was very proud of myself when I finally could do it without a cheat sheet.”

“I thought it would be convenient for myself to do the cube on my phone instead of having to carry one around. I was wrong. Solving a cube on a phone is completely different than the real thing,” said Elliot.

Not everyone can solve a cube just by doing it. Some people need a bit of assistance.

Sweet said, “Tim Goggins and I are currently trying to teach Ben Drews how to solve a Rubik’s cube in our eighth hour study hall. We project that he’ll be able to solve it by next week Tuesday.

Elliot said, “I wouldn’t say solving a Rubik’s cube in any way can measure one’s intelligence, unless they don’t know any algorithms. So, they’re actually logically thinking it out, instead of counting on muscle memorization

“An example of this would be when Will Smith’s character in the Pursuit of Happiness solved the Rubik’s cube in the taxy. That was able to show his intelligence,” said Sweet.

Some fellow cubers decide to evolve their cubing skills, by going to cubes with more cubes on them.

Elliot said, “I think solving 5×5’s is neat and all, but honestly it is not the traditional one.”

“Back in the early 2000’s cubing was a nerd thing to do, now it’s back in and ever growing,” said Elliot.