Dancing For the Mirror Ball Trophy | Teen Ink

Dancing For the Mirror Ball Trophy

By daniellechilson SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
daniellechilson SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

On Tuesday February 26, “Good Morning America” announced the season 16 cast members and their professional partners for the upcoming “Dancing With the Stars” season. The new cast of ABC’s hit show consists of athletes, comedians, country singers, and reality TV show stars. Hosts Tom Bergeron and Brooke Burke-Charvet are back to host season 16. The two-hour premiere kicks off on March 18, at 8 p.m. ET/ 7 p.m. CT.

The contestants include country music star and five-time Grammy winner, Wynonna Judd who will be dancing with pro Tony Dovolani (who won last season’s “All-star” competition with Melissa Rycroft), and standup comedian D.L. Hughley who is paired up with two-time mirror ball trophy champ, Cheryl Burke.

Jacoby Jones, Baltimore Raven’s wide receiver, will be taking his end zone dances to the dance floor with Katrina Smirnoff (who won season 13 with her partner J. R. Martinez).

Disney star, Zendaya Coleman, known from the Disney channel hit show “Shake It Up,” will be the youngest contestant on the show ever (at 16-years-old) and paired with Valentin Chmerkovskiy.

Olympic gymnast Aly Raisman, who was a part of the “Fierce Five” from the 2012 London Olympics will be a new contestant. Two-time champion, Mark Ballas, will be returning for his 12th season and will be Raisman’s pro.

ABC’s soap opera star, Ingo Rademacher, from “General Hospital,” will be dancing with Kym Johnson, who has one the mirror ball trophy twice.

Idol contestant and country singer Kelli Pickler will be paired up with Derek Hough for his 11th season. Hough is a three-time champion.

Dorothy Hamill, figure skater who won the 1976 Olympic gold medal, will compete with her returning pro, Tristan MacManus.

“Dancing With the Stars” are welcoming new pros this season. From last season of “So You Think You Can Dance,” Lindsey Arnold is making her debut with professional boxer Victor Ortiz. Arnold finished off her season of “So You Think You Can Dance” in the top 10 and will be joining this season as a pro at the age of 18.

Australian native Sharna Burgess, who has been dancing since she was five, makes her debut on the dance floor with partner and comedian Andy Dick. She has danced on Broadway and at the closing ceremony at the Sydney Olympics.

Professional dancer, Gleb Savchenko, will make his “Dancing With the Stars” debut with partner Lisa Vanderpump who is from “Real Housewife of Beverly Hills.”

Maksim Chmerkovskiy will not be back as a pro this season after competing for 12 seasons.

"I'm going to take this time to dive into producing and acting," he told People Magazine.

In the previous season of “Dancing With the Stars,” which aired last fall, included contestants from past seasons. The “All-Star” season was the first time ABC’s hit show has done this. Season 16 will have new contestants competing for the mirror ball trophy.