Should Same-Sex Marriage Be Legalized? | Teen Ink

Should Same-Sex Marriage Be Legalized?

May 11, 2013
By MollyLemon BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
MollyLemon BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities"


Over the course of the past few years, same-sex marriage has assumed the form of a very controversial topic across America, as well as other nations. More and more people are calling for reform, proclaiming that the right to marry whomever, no matter what sex, is a Constitutional given. While the number of same-sex marriage advocates is steadily increasing, the ferocity of the opposing side is as well. Same-sex marriage is no longer a matter of strictly civil rights, but also psychological health. It is for these reasons that it should be legalized, regardless of a person’s religious or cultural beliefs.

Civil rights are the very basis for which this country was founded. Whether it is the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, the Civil Rights Movement, or the topic of Same-Sex Marriage, people have certain unalienable rights than cannot be taken away by the U.S. government, marriage included. When a couple is denied the right to marry based on sexual orientation, they are also denied the right to an extensive list of government benefits that a heterosexual couple would receive (Human Rights Campaign). This includes making decisions regarding a medical emergency their spouse is experiencing, being able to take leave off of work to care for a sick partner (Family and Medical Leave Act 1993), the right to petition for a partner to immigrate to the U.S., being able to adopt children or having a surrogate mother, inheriting property, and finally, purchasing health coverage for a partner (Mohler). For any heterosexual couple, these rights are guaranteed under the Equal Protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. However, when homosexuality comes into play, these rights suddenly have to be reexamined, and in some cases, denied. In 1993, President Bill Clinton passed The Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which states that marriage is the “…legal union between one man and one woman…” It also said that each individual state is not required to recognize same-sex marriage. President Bill Clinton, prior to passing The Defense of Marriage Act, stated that he himself was opposed to the discrimination of same-sex couples for the right to marry. He also stated that he believed it was the state’s decision to decide whether or not same-sex marriage should be legalized. Shortly after passing The Defense of Marriage Act, he passed The Employment Non-Discrimination Act, an act that extended employment protections to Gays and Lesbians (National Organization for Women).

While being denied the right to marry can cause homosexual couples financial strain, it can also take a mental toll on them. Studies show that the constant debate over same-sex marriage is psychologically harmful to lesbians and gays themselves. Homosexual couples that are married show more acceptance of their sexual orientation, and show more openness to their friends and family. In states that do not allow same-sex marriage, rates of depression, suicide, suicide attempts, non-suicidal self-injury, and drug and alcohol abuse are higher among homosexuals than in states that allow legal same-sex unions (Levine). One who is against same-sex marriage might say that these symptoms are a cause of being homosexual itself. These people view homosexuality as an unnatural mental disorder that can be reversed, given the right amount of treatment. However, psychologists agree that homosexuality is something innate that occurs randomly in humans, and is irreversible (Religious Tolerance). Homosexuality is also present among four-hundred-and-fifty other species, including penguins, dolphins, orangutans, and beetles. This disproves the statement that homosexuality is unnatural because of its occurrence in species other than humans. Homophobia, however, does not occur in other species (Owen).

People against same-sex marriage have come up with a number of reasons for why it should be banned, the main one being because it goes against their religious views. Christians claim that being homosexual is an act hated by God, and that one will be damned in hell if one is a gay or lesbian. They also believe that God will retaliate on the world as a whole if homosexual activities continue. The U.S. is a nation built on the differences of culture and religion. Why should the U.S. government pass a law that affects everyone in the nation, regardless of their religion, just because one religion does not agree with homosexuality? And has not the separation of church and state long been one of the principals of America? If you are a Christian who wants to stay true to your faith, then do not become a homosexual. It is as simple as that. Involving the entire country in something as intangible as personal belief is disrespectful as well as inconsiderate to other people’s belief.

Another argument people have against same-sex marriage is that it does not contribute to the country population wise. Having children has long been a part of marriage, as well as a reason to get married. Because homosexual couples cannot physically have children with both partners’ genetic traits, some people question why homosexual marriage is a necessity at all. However, when denied the right to marry, it becomes difficult for homosexual couples to adopt children, or have a surrogate mother (Freedom to Marry). Of America’s entire married population, only 42% of them have children (2010 census). If the majority of heterosexual couples do not have children, then why should homosexual couples be denied the right to marry simply because they cannot have children at all? Most same-sex couples resort to adopting children or having a surrogate mother. However, this becomes difficult to do so when the couple is not married. Therefore, legalizing same-sex marriage would be beneficial to the nation in that the percentage of orphaned children would go down.

Same-sex marriage should no longer be considered a matter of religious and cultural views, but of civil rights and psychological health. Denying marriage rights to homosexual people can be financially straining, given the amount of government benefits they are denied, as well as mentally straining because of the unacceptance they face in society. Involving religion in the debate is equally unadvisable when taken into consideration that this is a country founded on the freedom of religion.



















Works Cited
"Do Animals Exhibit Homosexuality?" YaleScientific. Yale Scientific Magazine, n.d. Web. 1 May 2013. <http://www.yalescientific.org/2012/03/do-animals-exhibit-homosexuality/>.
FreedomToMarry. Freedom To Marry, 23 Apr. 2013. Web. 24 Apr. 2013. <http://www.freedomtomarry.org/blog/entry/victory-in-delaware-de-house-of-representatives-approves-the-freedom-to-mar>.
"Gay Marriage Debate." Debate. debate, n.d. Web. 30 Apr. 2013. <http://www.debate.org/gay-marriage/>.
"Health Benefits Resulting from SSM." ReligiousTolerance. Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance, 18 Dec. 2011. Web. 23 Apr. 2013. <http://www.religioustolerance.org/hommarrbene.htm>.
Levine, Alden M. "Psychological association calls for legalization of same-sex marriage." CNN. Cable News Network, 4 Apr. 2011. Web. 1 May 2013. <http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/04/psychologists.gay.marriage/index.html>.
"LGBT Relationships." ACLU. ACLU, n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2013. <http://www.aclu.org/lgbt-rights/lgbt-relationships>.
"LGBT Rights." ACLU. ACLU, n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2013. <http://www.aclu.org/lgbt-rights>.
MarriageEquality. Marriage Equality USA, 9 Jan. 2012. Web. 24 Apr. 2013. <http://www.marriageequality.org/courts>.
"New Boy Scouts Resolution Continues Discrimination against Parents and in Employment." HumanRightsCampaign. Human Rights Campaign, 19 Apr. 2013. Web. 24 Apr. 2013. <http://www.hrc.org/blog/entry/new-boy-scouts-resolution-continues-discrimination-against-parents-and-in-e>.
Now. National Organization for Women, 17 May 2004. Web. 24 Apr. 2013. <http://www.now.org/issues/lgbi/marr-rep.html>.
Owen, James. "Homosexual Activity Among Animals Stirs Debate." NationalGeograohic. National Geographic, 23 July 2004. Web. 1 May 2013. <http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/07/0722_040722_gayanimal.html>.
Polaski, Adam. "Victory in Rhode Island!" FreedomToMarry. Freedom To Marry, 24 Apr. 2013. Web. 24 Apr. 2013. <http://www.freedomtomarry.org/blog/entry/victory-in-rhode-island-ri-senate-passes-the-freedom-to-marry>.
"Rights and Protections Denied Same-Sex Partners." HCR. Human Rights Campaign, n.d. Web. 1 May 2013. <http://preview.hrc.org/issues/5478.htm>.
"Same-Sex Marriage as a Civil Right — Are Wrongs Rights?" AlbertMohler. Albert Mohler, 24 Apr. 2013. Web. 1 May 2013. <http://www.albertmohler.com/2013/04/24/same-sex-marriage-as-a-civil-right-are-wrongs-rights/>.
"Should gay marriage be legal?" ProCon. ProCon, 19 Apr. 2013. Web. 1 May 2013. <http://gaymarriage.procon.org/>.


The author's comments:
This is a research paper that I wrote, inspired by the controversy surrounding same-sex marriage.