The Goods and Bads of Facebook | Teen Ink

The Goods and Bads of Facebook

April 4, 2013
By Ilovenails BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Ilovenails BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Have other people have questions about Facebook? Have others have opinions on the good and bad of facebook? Well here are some facts that society may not know. Did you know that Facebook was launched in 2004? People with Facebook usually have opinions about the goods and bads.
The goods of Facebook are shy kids can express themselves on on Facebook, it is a great site for information. Speaking of information some of these facts were found by a girl Charlene Laino. Some kids are shy in public, but once when they are on Facebook they can express themselves however they please. Other kids/teens can reach out to others. 3702 people of all ages under 32 years use Facebook as a communication tool. So teens that don’t have cell phones but have a Facebook can communicate that way. Just think... Facebook can help teens socialize.
MANY people have a Facebook, so other wouldn't need to worry too much about whether or not the person that the finder is looking for would have one or not. And if you don’t know if they have a Facebook, it’s easy to find out. Also people are able to store all their photos. Even if you don’t want a person to look at the picture, there is a edit to change for the person that owns a photo, to decide who would be able to look at it or not.

The bads of Facebook: In 2009 a survey of 1,030 parents found children and teens spending more time engaged in social media have more anxiety, stomachaches, and more sick days from school. In teens and preteens spend more time playing video games was linked to poor health. Who would have thought?
Facebook doesn't just have bads for hurting people. There could be some parts of Facebook that the user may not like. Such as the notification tool, most of the time it will show you the same thing over and over again. Or something that someone said that doesn’t relate. Facebook has constant updates that some would not mind, but others might object. FOMO (the fear of missing out) is something some teens may deal with, because everything is on Facebook. People might wonder why they weren't a part of that, of would keep checking something knowing that something good to know about might happen at any moment. I was introduced to FOMO by Jenna Wortham; you can find her article in The New York Times (released in April of 2011).
Exploratory survey the 777 teens and young adults spend more time than average was associated with signs of narcissism, anxiety, and bipolar disorder. 279 middle schoolers, high schoolers, and university students lost focus for an average of three minutes every fifteen minutes studying or other tasks. A recent survey without college study from Wake field Research that 73% can’t study without some sort of technology. 38% can’t go a minute without some sort of laptop, phone, or other type of media. As of February of 2012; 845 million active users use Facebook! People spend 500 billion minutes on a site each month, and 400 million people are registered also. Just think of the acceleration now in 2013!
So ask yourself. “What are my questions about Facebook?” Maybe another person in the world is wonders the same thing. You do you think about Facebook?


The author's comments:
There are so many people that have opinions about Facebook. I want to see the facts