The Influence Breaking Dawn on Kids | Teen Ink

The Influence Breaking Dawn on Kids

November 3, 2011
By gemar BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
gemar BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

The things kids are doing these days are highly influenced by the content the watch, hear, and read. Kids reading Breaking Dawn is like giving dogs chocolate, it just simply shouldn't be done! One commenter on s website, Karin Mosey, said that “Meyer takes her supernatural live story several bizarre steps too far!” Breaking Sawn is a bad influence on kids because it contains inappropriate content, it sets bad examples, and characters display judgmental behaviors.

Breaking Dawn is a bad influence on kids because it contains inappropriate content. The characters, known as Bella and Edward, display a multitude of kissing and making out. Breaking Dawn was definitely a major step forward as far as inappropriateness goes. Bella and Edward take their relationship to a sexual level. Teens are still becoming pregnant at too young of an age. Sex is more of an “accepted fact of life”, which teens are rushing too fast to get to. It all stems from bad influences like Breaking Dawn.

Breaking Dawn is a bad influence on kids because is also sets bad examples. Throughout the novels, Edward sneaks into Bella’s room more often than he stays home. Bella sometimes snuck out. What kind of example is this? In Breaking Dawn, Bella lies to her father, Charlie, telling him that she caught some foreign influenza and that’s why he can’t visit or see her. All this does is show kids that it’s okay to lie to their parents. Around the age of 12-15, this is the time when we learn the most. We observe, we become more tentative, and we create emotional barriers in our lives which are majorly impacted by the influences we experience day by day. I doubt any parents would want their children to live up to be liars, impacted by the things they are able to prevent. In Breaking Dawn, a continuum of fighting over clans and pack beliefs, carry on. The wolves feel their treaty has been broken. Jacob, Bella’s forever friend, lover, and now future son-in-law, sticks by her side, then wants to fight against the vampires. This pattern continues for a while. Meyer shows kids and teens an improper way of being; of living their life. The belief against clans and packs is a continuum of fighting and arguing that completely shouts to the world, “NOT RESOLVING ISSUES IS OKAY!” Teens will have silly, meaningless fights and think that it is okay to behave in this manner as they get older. In the middle of the book, Bella and Edward, actually Jacob tells Charlie part of the secret, a very BIG part of the huge secret! This is breaking a part of the treaty, and showing people that it is okay to break promises and not keep their word. Breaking Dawn just seems to have too many scenarios which it’s just proving to be inappropriate!

Breaking Dawn is a bad influence on kids because the characters demonstrate judgmental behaviors. Throughout the series, wolves and vampires are constantly fighting against each other. The reason why? Their beliefs, mistrust; disbelief. Vampires, due to a past war, occurring because of vampire babies almost exposing their secret, have zero tolerance for the creation of any vampire babies. When Edward and Bella reproduce-the real way-a half human, half vampire baby, the high and mighty Italian vamps freak out before Edward gets a chance to explain. This creates, yet another, outbreak of war. With barely any time for explanation, Edward BARELY gets a chance to tell them what really happened. Though many people enjoy the topic of war-as it truly occurs in real life-is this the example of bad morals the world wants the children to experience!?

Breaking Dawn is a bad influence on kids. Teens, kids and people of all ages learn from stuff they hear, watch and read. Breaking Dawn was intended for the mature age group; older teens and adults. Although Breaking Dawn was interesting to read, is this really the life style that we want kids to be experiencing?

The author's comments:
I love reading the Twilight series, including Breaking Dawn. But this was just inappropriate for kids.