TAKE AWAY..JORGE? | Teen Ink

TAKE AWAY..JORGE?

March 7, 2011
By akapp BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
akapp BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Longtime New York Yankees catcher, Jorge Posada, has recently been switched to the position of designated hitter. In an interview with Girardi in the New York Times, the Yankees Manager said, “I know how much pride Jorge Posada has.” “I know how much he loves to catch and be involved.” In response, Posada said to the New York Times, “I think I knew it was coming.” “The team needed to keep looking at the future of the Yankees behind the plate.”

The player that will be taking Posadas place during the new season is Russell Martin. According to Adam Lazarus of Bleacher Report, Russell Martin will be replacing Posada. Although Martin may not be Jorge Posada he will provide great aid to the Yankees, According to Bleacher Report, in 2007, he hit 19 homers, drove in 87 runs, and had a batting average of .293.”

Although Posada is being replaced he has had an amazing career. He is a five time World Champion – 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2009. In 2003 he tied Yogi Berra’s record for most home runs by a Yankee catcher (30), and ranked third in the American League Most Valuable Player selection. He was also among the top players in the American league. In 2005, he recorded his 1,000th career hit with a seventh-inning double on August 20 at Chicago, according to Jorgeposada.com.