What Works and What Doesn't | Teen Ink

What Works and What Doesn't

May 5, 2010
By Anonymous

Living with or without discipline doesn’t make a person it just helps them through their rainy days. Although many people struggle some just need a push in life to help them reach there goals. Many parents live there lives in regret wondering why they didn’t discipline their child; while trying to be a friend instead of a parent they later pay the price.
Some say discipline is a good thing then there’s other’s who go against it. I don’t’ believe in enforcing it in life because it all comes down to one’s state of mind, which is built over the years of both child hood and adolescences. In some cases it could leave a parent regretting there” right “idea of punishment which brings me to my next point of open communication. This is a quality that both a parent and child should have between one another. This is a vital role in the path to a person’s future. As the same adolescent turns into an adult they are able to carry the same values taught to them by there parents.
I later learned in life that every action had consequences and even if they felt unfair they were inevitable to avoid. Once punished for something I had no part of made me want to rebel. Living with consequences all of my life left with rules and guidelines only made things worse when they were only there for the good. The statistics show that 7 out of 10 children that were expected to follow rules later disobeyed in the future. Having learned from my mistakes shows that discipline may or may not have an impact on one’s life or thinking process.

Sooner than later people realize that there friends play a major role in there actions and by living under peer pressure it causes them to do things they wouldn’t normally do. Punishment doesn’t always solve things because some just don’t learn the good from the bad. Many people learn later in life and have to face there problems head on rather than bury them in resent. Going through life without any type of discipline only leads to problems later on.

In the future there are lessons to be learned but for now none can be truly processed without basing it on any one type of solution rather it is discipline or peer pressure from a friend. So the real question is, Does having any disciplinary authority in a person’s life have an affect on there outlook on things?


The author's comments:
I wrote this story to ensure that everyone is entitled to there own opinion on this topic.I don't believe that if certain things are not attained then what you are left with is a failure;so read and take notes because the story i have to offer is filled with contradicting opinions and mind boggoling lessons being teached by a teen.