Facebook Activity



Teen Ink on Twitter

Writers' Workshop Forums

Where teen writers share their work
   
Jeopardyfan replied...
Aug. 17, 2004 at 1:41 pm

*Sighs*

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
stargirl replied...
Aug. 17, 2004 at 1:43 pm

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeopardyfan
I don't feel too comfortable taking tips from someone who can't spell capitalize correctly.


maybe YOU'RE not spelling it correctly...

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
Jeopardyfan replied...
Aug. 17, 2004 at 1:50 pm

Quote:
Originally posted by stargirl
maybe YOU'RE not spelling it correctly...


Go look it up in the dictionary if you don't believe me.

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
OMG_ITS_RAE replied...
Aug. 17, 2004 at 1:57 pm

He's from England, you idiot.

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
Jeopardyfan replied...
Aug. 17, 2004 at 1:58 pm

I'm new here. I didn't know that.

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
OMG_ITS_RAE replied...
Aug. 17, 2004 at 2:01 pm

Quote:
Originally posted by Ticklipple
Then go and take tips from an American, moron. I'm damned if I'm going to Americanise my language for you.

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
Ticklipple replied...
Aug. 17, 2004 at 2:02 pm

I really love you, Ree.

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
Jeopardyfan replied...
Aug. 17, 2004 at 2:03 pm

Quote:
Originally posted by OMG ITS RAE



Okay.

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
space_oddity replied...
Aug. 17, 2004 at 4:14 pm

Ethnocentric much?

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
Jeopardyfan replied...
Aug. 18, 2004 at 8:03 am

Quote:
Originally posted by space oddity
Ethnocentric much?


No, not at all. I was just pointing out a spelling mistake. It wasn't meant to be taken that personally.

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
space_oddity replied...
Aug. 20, 2004 at 9:14 pm

But it wasn't a mistake.

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
Jeopardyfan replied...
Aug. 21, 2004 at 11:37 am

Quote:
Originally posted by space oddity
But it wasn't a mistake.


Capitalize: To write or print in capital letters. Or to begin a word with a capital letter.

Capitalise: Supply with capital, as of a business by using a combination of capital used by investors and debt capital provided by lenders.

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
OMG_ITS_RAE replied...
Aug. 21, 2004 at 11:54 am


capitalise


v 1: supply with capital, as of a business by using a combination of capital used by investors and debt capital provided by lenders [syn: capitalize] 2: draw advantages from; "he is capitalizing on her mistake"; "she took advantage of his absence to meet her lover" [syn: capitalize, take advantage] 3: write in capital letters [syn: capitalize] 4: compute the present value of a business or an income [syn: capitalize] 5: consider expenditures as capital assets rather than expenses [syn: capitalize] 6: convert (a company's reserve funds) into capital [syn: capitalize]

You ****ing dolt, he's British. They spell it differently. Amy called you ethnocentric because you called his way of spelling incorrect, simply because it isn't the American way.

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
Jeopardyfan replied...
Aug. 21, 2004 at 7:22 pm

Quote:
Originally posted by OMG ITS RAE

capitalise


v 1: supply with capital, as of a business by using a combination of capital used by investors and debt capital provided by lenders [syn: capitalize] 2: draw advantages from; "he is capitalizing on her mistake"; "she took advantage of his absence to meet her lover" [syn: capitalize, take advantage] 3: write in capital letters [syn: capitalize] 4: compute the present value of a business or an income [syn: capitalize] 5: consider expenditures as capital assets rather than expenses [syn: capitalize] 6: convert (a company's reserve funds) into capital [syn: capitalize]

You ****ing dolt, he's British. They spell it differently. Amy called you ethnocentric because you called his way of spelling incorrect, simply because it isn't the American way.



I know he's British. But we, Americans, spell it with a "z" and not an "s." How slow are you people? I wasn't putting his ethnic background down...

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
space_oddity replied...
Aug. 21, 2004 at 10:03 pm

Yes, you indirectly were. Or, at least, elucidating your own ignorance by correcting Tom's spelling when it was very much correct.

This is coming from the same person who didn't know that gay couples could reproduce. I wouldn't be calling anyone slow.

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
OMG_ITS_RAE replied...
Aug. 22, 2004 at 7:04 am

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeopardyfan
I know he's British. But we, Americans, spell it with a "z" and not an "s."


And that's why Amy called you ethnocentric. What aren't you understanding here?

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
Matt replied...
Aug. 22, 2004 at 11:25 am

This is an exceedingly stupid thread. Anyone who did not already know and understand what was in the first post prior to reading the thread has no business writing things to post in these forums in the first place.

I could understand if this thread was about some of the more disputable facets of the English language, as the structure of the language is somewhat farcical when you get into some of the more specifics of semantics.

But this basic s***? Give me a break.

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
Ticklipple replied...
Aug. 22, 2004 at 12:42 pm

If you read many of the posts here, you'll note that a lot of people don't seem to follow these rules. I posted this as both a reference and reminder of the basic rules, which people should adhere to.

So really, **** off.

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
Matt replied...
Aug. 22, 2004 at 3:13 pm

Quote:
Originally posted by Ticklipple
If you read many of the posts here, you'll note that a lot of people don't seem to follow these rules. I posted this as both a reference and reminder of the basic rules, which people should adhere to.

So really, **** off.


Actually, what I was saying was meant as more of an attack against the idiots who post the s*** that doesn't adhere to the basic rules.

Now, this was under the assumption that the rules you posted were for those who post in the Writing forum. Of course, that could be an incorrect inference, but had this been posted in the Random Thoughts forum, I wouldn't really care.

So, assuming that this post was for those who wish to post in this forum, I have to say this: If you can't grasp even the most basic rules of the English language, you have no business posting works of literature.

Really, if you can't grasp the most basic rules of the English language, you don't have any business working at a McDonald's either. Pickles and onions are in no way, shape, or form what should be expected on a "ketchup-only" burger. If you wanna' come to this country, that's fine and dandy and all, but if you're gonna be working in a position where you communication via the English language is a necessity, then learn the f***ing English language.

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread
Ticklipple replied...
Aug. 22, 2004 at 3:26 pm

Oh. In that case, '**** off' retracted.

Edit: alcohol makes me poor at choosing the words that I mean.

Reply to this Thread Post a new Thread

Launch Teen Ink Chat
Site Feedback