Face of an Urban Legend | Teen Ink

Face of an Urban Legend

By OnePunchMan SILVER, Sacramento, California
OnePunchMan SILVER, Sacramento, California

"I don't quit, I don't run, and I don't ever go back on my word because that's my ninja way!"- Naruto Uzumaki/ Masashi Kishimoto

It was a dark foggy night in Tokyo.

Cold and alone.

I was walking along the sidewalk of the silent neighborhood.

“Almost home…,” I said to myself.

I felt the presence of a shadowy figure walking towards me. As the figure approached me, its true self revealed its form. It was a woman, dressed in white, topped with a black coat and a black hat, eyes of beauty, and a mask covering half of her face. I walked passed her, completely ignoring her. But I thought about what the people in the neighborhood keep talking about, a lady who wears a mask covering half of her face. Legend has it that when she reveals her face to the victim, anyone that calls her pretty or ugly shall pay the price by having their face ripped up like hers.

“I didn’t believe that the legend was true...” I thought to myself. 

That’s when I knew I was a dead man. The lady called out to me.

“Young man I have a question for you.” She said in a clam voice.

I replied, “What is it ma’am?”

“Come closer won’t you?” She said.

Chills went up my spine as I walked closer to her, face to face. Fear overcame me, I was crying not knowing what to do.

She then asked me, “Young man, do I look pretty tonight?”

“No ma’am,” I replied.
She took off her mask revealing her discomforting face. Flesh hanging down her face, blood oozing down, maggots crawling around, and cracked up teeth. I froze up and gagged a bit. She asked me again.

“Am I pretty now?,” she said.

In a shaky voice I replied, “Nooo….”

After that she left me alone and we went our separate ways. I checked to see if she was gone. When the coast was clear I ran towards home as fast as I could. When I got home I locked everything up and went straight to bed. I thought to myself, “I made it out alive.”

I woke up the next day thinking it was only a dream. I got out of bed to get ready for the day, looking at the mirror of my bathroom I noticed blood dripping down my face, torn flesh hanging down my lower face, and bones of whiteness. There was nothing for me left to do but kill myself. I held a .44 magnum to my head, tears running down my eyes saying to myself, “Goodbye everyone.” BOOM!!!!

What inspried me to write this was that urban legends can be true and are bound to happen one day, and what I personally think is that urban legends are real because every legend has its origin.