The Missing Girl | Teen Ink

The Missing Girl

September 14, 2017
By KatieT22 SILVER, New City, New York
KatieT22 SILVER, New City, New York
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Who Was That Girl?
     

A cold, rainy Saturday afternoon, Brittany was walking home from middle school. She was embarrassed to be seen wearing her yellow rain boots with sequins, and a black and white striped raincoat. While, Brittany was about to walk up her street, a group of popular girls wearing jeans, and crop tops screamed, “LOSER, Nobody cares about you!” Brittany turned red in the face and started running home. Her house was on a hill, and a Ford 4X4 truck was headed down the hill, and Brittany kept running up the hill. While going down the hill, the truck driver lost control of the car, and Brittany was on the concrete, unconscious. The paramedics came, and Brittany came out of the operating room with multiple contusions. Brittany’s parents, Melissa and John ran to the hospital, but didn’t have the courage to walk in the room. They stood outside together, fearing their daughter will never be the same again. Doctor O’Donnell looking glum approached Melissa and John with some heartbreaking news, “Brittany will be in a coma for approximately 5 years”. All Melissa and John could think about was their daughter losing 5 years of her life, and never recovering from the accident.
A girl rounded the corner wearing ripped jeans and a crop top, and said “Hi Brittany, I’m Ava your neighbor”. Although Ava knew that Brittany was in a coma she kept talking to her. Ava had left the hospital in the rain and walked up a hill to her house. The next day, Ava went to middle school, and she was talking to her friends. They were all talking about a party at Ethan’s house, a boy from school. All the girls were madly in love with him, and they spent nights texting about him in a group chat. That night, Ava and her friends all showed up wearing the same clothes, a pair jeans and a crop top. Ethan walked towards Ava about to ask, “Do you wanna go to my room?” Ava followed him to his bedroom, and they started kissing. Ava’s friends were really mad at her, because they thought that they should be with him. They decided to cut her out of the group for good. Ethan and Ava were dating for about 4 years, but they fought plenty of times, and made each other angry all the time.
One day, Ava decided to go visit Brittany in the hospital. When Ava walked into Brittany’s room, Brittany was about to wake up from her coma. Brittany woke up and no one was there. Brittany looked everywhere for Ava, and couldn’t find her. Brittany tried to go back to sleep hoping Ava would come back when she woke up, but it didn’t work, because Ava was gone. Brittany never had the chance to meet Ava.
When Brittany, started to get better she went to school and looked for Ethan, and her friends. She couldn’t find Ethan, and then she glanced across the hall noticing girls wearing jeans, and crop tops, but those girls never ever smiled at her. Brittany left school confused. She went home, and took a nap and wondered why her friends, and Ava weren’t at school. Ava never came back.


The author's comments:

I love to read mystery books, and I was inspired by Mary Higgins Clark to write my own.