I don't know | Teen Ink

I don't know

I felt stiff as I woke up, not really remembering how or when I happened to fall asleep to start with. I weakly open my eyes, only to be met by a long, seemingly empty, dark room with only one notable light directly above me.

I wanted to get up and look for a way out, but I couldn’t. my arms and legs had been bound down to the large rusted chair that I had been sitting in. I didn’t understand want was happening around me.

“did someone get enough beauty sleep?” someone scoffed out in the seemingly infinite darkness.

I didn’t answer. My mouth was gagged. I was too confused and too scared to do anything. My heart was beating so rapidly it seemed as if it would rupture right out of my chest at any possible second.
“listen carefully, we’re going to play a game… a special game… of Russian Roulette.”

I whimpered at the last word.

I knew that voice, I thought as I tried my best to squirm out of the chains wrapped tightly around my torso and wrists, but they wouldn’t budge from their position. I would have fallen over had it not been for someone behind me.

“don’t be in such a hurry, we still have some fun to be had.”

I knew then who they were. A light flashed over the empty room and proved my fears. Eight people stood in front of me. My family. Dad, mom, brothers, sisters, everyone.

I would have screamed if I wasn’t gagging on whatever was still in my mouth.

“everyone knows the rules,” my dad stated clearly, “the youngest goes first and then on.”

I watched through tears in my eyes as he pulled a small revolver out of his pocket. He held it under my nose to prove the game was true. Only one bullet was to be seen. Then quickly handed the gun to my youngest sister, Charity.

“you tried to kill me once, oh how the tables have turned.” She giggled as she pointed the gun at my chest.
3… 2… 1… click. Nothing.

“your turn Mikey.” She smiled, handing the gun to our youngest brother.

“ready nanny, this will be your last chance to say something stupid.” He said with a smile that stretched from ear to ear.

3… 2… 1… click. Nothing.

“dammit. I thought I had it.” He mumbled handing the gun to Bria.

“I guess you won’t be an aunty after all” she stated smugly.

3… 2… 1… click. Nothing.

“is this thing rigged?” she practically fumed as she shoved the gun at my older brother, Brenden.

He said nothing to me. He pulled the gag out of my mouth and unlocked the chains wrapped around me. He hid his eyes as he helped me to my feet. I was about to thank him when he pressed the gun to my head, pulled the trigger and left me to fall to the floor. He couldn’t look me in the eyes as I began to lose consciousness due to blood lose.

I don’t know what the last thing I saw was. It was bright, but small and almost seemed to emanate from my brother. I wasn’t confident of what that meant

This was actually a nightmare I had. I don't think I'll ever understand is.

on Sep. 20 2017 at 11:44 am
Turtleperson44, Fort Wayne, Indiana

"Do it right, with a smile, or don't do it at all." -- Frank Devereaux, Supernatural, Season 7

That seems like the beginning of some kind of murder novel. Pretty good!