Masque of the read death spin-off | Teen Ink

Masque of the read death spin-off

September 9, 2017
By Breezette DIAMOND, Uniontown, Arkansas
Breezette DIAMOND, Uniontown, Arkansas
84 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
Every Time I even think of you, all those bad memories just fade away, 'cause your smile's enough, you're enough...


The night was cold, the town quiet, too quiet. I peeked my head out of the Cellar door. Not one person roamed the streets. Weird. I grabbed the hoodie next to me, and headed out of that prison that held me captive for nearly 13 years. Looking to my left I found the tavern which my Father spent most of his time, drunk. I stumbled down the street, and away from the house that ruined me. STOP! Never, get me away from here! Be a good girl, Go home. That’s not my home! I hope you burn in hell! The voices in my head raged as I now began sprinting down the abandoned street, but stopped as something moving came into view. The voices chanted:  What is that!? What is that!? What is that!? What is that!? My body stopped Oh my God….There was a body lying bloodied on the pavement, twitching, bleeding, groaning in pain. Fear consumed me. He looked in his early twenties perhaps. His hair was a brown, but sweat made It seem darker. He looked tall, but he laid crumpled on the pavement, I couldn’t tell. “Help...me.” He rasped out, his eye’ s met mine. “Please…” His eyes closed and for a moment he stopped breathing.  I looked closer realizing who he was. “Zak?” My eye’s widened. His eyes popped back open, but the color wasn’t greenish brown anymore, they were more like a red-ish brown. I kneeled down and helped him sit up. *Cough Cough*


His hand still covered his mouth. “Ezma...Is that you?” He squinted his eyes. “Yeah, It-it’s me.”


“What happened to you?” I said, now helping him stand. “I-I-I don’t know.” He stumbled with his words. We were now walking Into this house; It’s door was completely open. “I was walking down the street earlier, It was quiet.” “It was a little while ago, and this girl, I think we went to school with her, She came up to me, definitely wasted.” “She had been all over me, but I pushed her off, and she walked away, back to the Tavern.” I looked at him as we walked. “Why were you all bloodied?” I looked worriedly back at the pool of blood we left, and then back to him. “I….don’t know, I remember thinking it was weird, seeing her, She was wasted at 7:00 am.” “Then I kept going, walking I mean, then all I remember after that….Is black…” “Maybe you fainted and fell, bashing your head, which caused the small pool of blood. I replied. I-I don’t know, Maybe.” He looked at me and we both stopped at the kitchen. “Want a sandwich.” he questioned. I couldn’t help but laugh. “Zak, this isn’t the time to eat, Someone, Else’s, food.” “we need to get to the bottom of what happened to you, and where everyone went.” “yeah, we do.” he said around a mouthful of what looked like a tuna sandwich. He put the food back into the fridge, and shut it’s door. “Come on, let's get going.” We walked outside, aiming for the last place Zak seen; She who is probably still hung-over. The place was deserted, not a single person was in here. We walked out of the bar, and Zak had stopped in the middle of the street. “Are you Okay?” I asked, genuinely concerned. He faced me and my face went pale. “Oh. My. God!”


His eye’s were a glowing red, and blood, so much blood was running down his face. I turned around and that girl, Zak had seen, she was behind me, her face a bloody mess as well. I looked around me and now there were tons of them around me, different people-Zombie things surrounding me. I ran. I ran from this horrid place, and I didn’t go back down to that cellar, the voices-not so long ago- had told me to go. I darted to park, the park that had raised me. “How did this happen?” “Wait, it was that disease that was going around...I thought that died off???” “I guess the only thing that died was the people in the town.”I made it to the park, and turned around, hoping none of those zombie-monster-thingy ma bobbers had followed me. I was face to face with Zak. “Dear God….” His eyes were still a crimson blood color. “This is it.” I thought. And I let my consciousness, slip away, and I thought. “My horrid father could never hurt me and lock me away now, I’m gonna die.”


I did, I died slowly, as Zak, ate from my limp body, ripping my throat out, and chewing on my bones. But I died at peace.


The End