The Light Under the Curtain | Teen Ink

The Light Under the Curtain

By Squishydapug BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Squishydapug BRONZE, Houston, Texas

The light appeared under the curtains. I held my breath. My heartbeat sounded louder than normal. Is it supposed to be that loud? The unearthly glow moved along the edge. I didn't dare move. The glow vanished, and I sighed in relief. Wrong move. The glow reappeared, right behind me. I turned around and screamed.

Two hours earlier...

I was walking to class with Virginia, because she had Spanish and I had Language arts. We were talking about Cat Con, it is in Virginia and I would be visiting over the summer to go. I waved goodbye to Virginia, turned into my favorite class, and sat down, wondering what we would do. As I expected, I had a great time, and when the bell rang, I was sad to go.

Suddenly, just as I was walking out for break, "This is a Lion's call" rang out from the phone in Ms. Cherek's class. Virginia, who had caught up, groaned in unison with me. "Another drill," I said, barely able to keep the sarcasm out of my voice. We walked leisurely back into class, and being the last ones in, sat near the door. We clearly weren't alone in thinking it was a drill, because people weren't troubling to keep their voices down. 7A and most of 7B were in the room. The storm that had begun about halfway through the class was getting stronger by the minute. Although it was most likely a drill, I felt unsettled. However, when the power went out, I couldn't help grinning to myself. Maybe we would get to go home! Footsteps echoed in the hall. A hush fell over us, as if a teacher were yelling at us.

Just like that, the door sprang open, and a light (I assume it was a flashlight) came in. The flashlight wielder didn't see me or my friends as about ten of us snuck out the open door. I ran as fast as I could, literally running for my life, to the first place I could think of, the gym.

We looked around, and after a second, dashed behind the curtains on the stage. I held my breath. My heartbeat sounded louder than normal. Was it supposed to be that loud? The unearthly glow moved along the edge. I didn't dare move. The glow vanished. I sighed in relief. Wrong move. The glow reappeared, right behind me. I turned around and screamed.

The glow was not a flashlight. It was not even human. The thing looked humanoid,  but it was glowing gold. My first though was a human lightbulb. I stifled the urge to laugh. What was wrong with me? Then it turned its head. Another scream clawed its way out of my throat.

A single white eye sat upon its forehead. I got the feeling it could see much more than what other people could see. I felt the dark stage behind me, searching for anything that could help.    A pencil! I threw the sharp projectile as hard as I could, and it found its mark. The creature was blinded and didn't follow us as we dashed away.

Suddenly, a voice yelled, "CUT!" I stopped running in relief, and walked off set. Those special effects were a little too good. My friends and I walked out of the studio for our lunch break, wondering what the next scene would bring.  Hopefully not too many takes.

I was inspired to write this by my 7th grade language arts teacher.