Death Has Its Heart in the Right Place

Looking down the barrel of a gun is a strange feeling, but after staring into Death's dark face so many times, Jack had become accustomed to the tickles and prickles that run across your spine. It had become a familiar, a common, an ordinary feeling. He almost liked it, the sensation, of Death looming about, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. To him, it was intoxicating. It made his heart race, his blood pump and adrenaline run. It was like being in love for the first time, and the last. Yet every time that the Reaper swung his scythe on the mob boss, he always seemed to stop, never finishing the job. It was as though he, Death, took pleasure in seeing Jack sweat under his blade. They both enjoyed the mad thrill, but it seemed that this would be the last time they would saviour it.
Bang! The thunderous roar of the gun shattered the calm night. It was over.
'Here. You can keep it,' the assassin tossed the smoking gun onto Jack's cold lap.
A sinister smile cut the killer's face. Raising his chin proudly, as a young boy does after winning a prize, the mercenary turned around slowly, savouring his victory. Now all he had to do was collect his pay and live comfortably on some exotic island for the rest of his life, without worries, without problems, without necessities, without ' Bang! A second shot.
The assassin's knees broke under the pain. One moment he was savouring glory and the next he was savouring the bitter sweet taste of warm steel, the killer kiss of a bullet. On all fours, he lifted his trembling hand up to his chest: his shirt was soaked in blood that was spewing out on both sides of his trunk. He was cold, weak, in pain. Frozen sweat poured down his face as his insides burnt in anguish.
Writhing on the floor with no strength at all, he turned around to see who the shooter was. Behind him, sitting in the same leather-cushion seat he had been sitting when the assassin came in, Jack sat. The only difference was that now his right arm was outstretched with his fingers curled around the gun. His eyelids were heavy upon his red eyes, but he still maintained them wide open.
'No ' Impossible ' I shot you ' I shot you in the heart.'
Jack licked his lips and explained slowly, enjoying every word, 'I am dextrocardi-ac.'

blue sky said...
Apr. 7, 2009 at 10:34 am
Great to combine hard science with fiction. Enjoyed the punchline.

Stephenmcrey said...
That was good, though I did have to look it up.
Could you check this out to give me feedback?

TeenInk.com/raw/Fiction/article/96942/Our-Army/

Tia Patri said...
Apr. 6, 2009 at 12:34 am
Andy,

Congrats !!! I read your story and I liked it very much !! It's concise and I think it has all the elements of a good short story with a good punchline !

Congrats again !! and I'd like to keep on reading your stories or novels !!!

Kisses,

Patricia

lucky star said...
Apr. 2, 2009 at 2:06 am
Very well written. I could feel what Jack was experiencing. Excellent research work on the biological response to fear and adrenalin rush. Loved the way you played with the words in the title and the unusual anatomical loaction of the heart.

monniefish said...
Apr. 1, 2009 at 1:19 am
I didn't get it, so I looked up what dextrocardiac means, and then I laughed! and then I felt bad for laughing, but well.. this is REALLY good! I love it!