Death Has Its Heart in the Right Place

Looking down the barrel of a gun is a strange feeling, but after staring into Death's dark face so many times, Jack had become accustomed to the tickles and prickles that run across your spine. It had become a familiar, a common, an ordinary feeling. He almost liked it, the sensation, of Death looming about, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. To him, it was intoxicating. It made his heart race, his blood pump and adrenaline run. It was like being in love for the first time, and the last. Yet every time that the Reaper swung his scythe on the mob boss, he always seemed to stop, never finishing the job. It was as though he, Death, took pleasure in seeing Jack sweat under his blade. They both enjoyed the mad thrill, but it seemed that this would be the last time they would saviour it.
Bang! The thunderous roar of the gun shattered the calm night. It was over.
'Here. You can keep it,' the assassin tossed the smoking gun onto Jack's cold lap.
A sinister smile cut the killer's face. Raising his chin proudly, as a young boy does after winning a prize, the mercenary turned around slowly, savouring his victory. Now all he had to do was collect his pay and live comfortably on some exotic island for the rest of his life, without worries, without problems, without necessities, without ' Bang! A second shot.
The assassin's knees broke under the pain. One moment he was savouring glory and the next he was savouring the bitter sweet taste of warm steel, the killer kiss of a bullet. On all fours, he lifted his trembling hand up to his chest: his shirt was soaked in blood that was spewing out on both sides of his trunk. He was cold, weak, in pain. Frozen sweat poured down his face as his insides burnt in anguish.
Writhing on the floor with no strength at all, he turned around to see who the shooter was. Behind him, sitting in the same leather-cushion seat he had been sitting when the assassin came in, Jack sat. The only difference was that now his right arm was outstretched with his fingers curled around the gun. His eyelids were heavy upon his red eyes, but he still maintained them wide open.
'No ' Impossible ' I shot you ' I shot you in the heart.'
Jack licked his lips and explained slowly, enjoying every word, 'I am dextrocardi-ac.'

WilliamNThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 17 at 4:23 pm:
Pretty good. If you like surprise endings, you should check out my thriller called "From The Inside". It's so freaky that I gave myself nightmares when I finished reading it.

A.M.Geyer said...
Jan. 31 at 8:48 am:
That was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I totaly love this story!!!!!!!!!!!!

_morganashley said...
Dec. 2, 2013 at 6:21 am:
this is awesome!

BeautylovesBeast said...
It was a short story but it was an incredible story. You did an amazing job writing this story!

Jezmondinie said...
Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:23 am:
really loved the story! short but snappy and actually a little bit funny :D

Michaela95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 12, 2013 at 4:26 am:
Wow, you managed to do what other writers take pages to accomplish. Loved the accelerated pace and build-up. Very refreshing, thank you :D

Nahom said...
Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:14 pm:
I bow to you Sir! That was an engaging story with a great twist!

NataleeIreneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:22 pm:
This is such a great story! Loved the surprise twist ending. How'd you ever come up with it?

MetalHead115 said...
May 7, 2013 at 9:58 am:
That. Was. Awesome. Keep writing!

Mella said...
Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:04 pm:
Oh, I also noticed the pun " Death has it's heart in the right place" and the guy had his actual heart in the wrong place. Well, you see what I'm saying :p Haha :)

Mella said...
Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:03 pm:
I loved it, Like everyone else, I also enjoyed the twist :)

MadilynRose123 said...
Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:00 pm:
Wow...I really enjoyed that! I liked the part where you really personified death. Looking forward to reading more of your work!

DarkEyes said...
Dec. 22, 2012 at 10:06 am:
For anyone that didn't want to look it up, dextrocardia is when the heart is in the right side of the chest, instead of the left. Great story! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep writing!

IfLifeGivesYouLemons This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hmm. Not bad. A little short - you could have been much more dramatic with it. But then, sometimes short is sweet. It reminded me a lot of Captain Jack Harkness.

GoogleIt7 said...
Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:10 am:
I really liked this stroy! And guys, I just posted a new story, and it's my first. Please read and rate!? :)

Courts012 said...
Jul. 26, 2012 at 7:59 pm:
CHECK OUT MY STORY ON MY PROFILE AND RATE IT =)

Varlen-Byrd said...
Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:35 pm:
I liked the twist at the end of your story. it was really unexpected. 

Black_Rose_Princess said...
Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:09 pm:
Whoa! Didn't see that coming!

Cacher08 said...
The twist at the end was creative and awesome. Revenge stinks!

swag12 said...
Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:49 am:
cheer for what