Death Has Its Heart in the Right Place

By Andy Binker Cosen BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other
Andy Binker Cosen BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other

Looking down the barrel of a gun is a strange feeling, but after staring into Death's dark face so many times, Jack had become accustomed to the tickles and prickles that run across your spine. It had become a familiar, a common, an ordinary feeling. He almost liked it, the sensation, of Death looming about, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. To him, it was intoxicating. It made his heart race, his blood pump and adrenaline run. It was like being in love for the first time, and the last. Yet every time that the Reaper swung his scythe on the mob boss, he always seemed to stop, never finishing the job. It was as though he, Death, took pleasure in seeing Jack sweat under his blade. They both enjoyed the mad thrill, but it seemed that this would be the last time they would saviour it.
Bang! The thunderous roar of the gun shattered the calm night. It was over.
'Here. You can keep it,' the assassin tossed the smoking gun onto Jack's cold lap.
A sinister smile cut the killer's face. Raising his chin proudly, as a young boy does after winning a prize, the mercenary turned around slowly, savouring his victory. Now all he had to do was collect his pay and live comfortably on some exotic island for the rest of his life, without worries, without problems, without necessities, without ' Bang! A second shot.
The assassin's knees broke under the pain. One moment he was savouring glory and the next he was savouring the bitter sweet taste of warm steel, the killer kiss of a bullet. On all fours, he lifted his trembling hand up to his chest: his shirt was soaked in blood that was spewing out on both sides of his trunk. He was cold, weak, in pain. Frozen sweat poured down his face as his insides burnt in anguish.
Writhing on the floor with no strength at all, he turned around to see who the shooter was. Behind him, sitting in the same leather-cushion seat he had been sitting when the assassin came in, Jack sat. The only difference was that now his right arm was outstretched with his fingers curled around the gun. His eyelids were heavy upon his red eyes, but he still maintained them wide open.
'No ' Impossible ' I shot you ' I shot you in the heart.'
Jack licked his lips and explained slowly, enjoying every word, 'I am dextrocardi-ac.'

on May. 19 2017 at 11:10 am
A_Fellow_Writer SILVER, Delaware, Ohio

"You don't really suppose, do you, that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck, just for your sole benefit? You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world."

"I am dextrocardi-ac..." Jokes on you, Mr. Assassin. Should've gone for the head.

on May. 13 2015 at 7:03 pm
That last twist was fab-tasticly awesome

on Feb. 10 2015 at 11:42 pm
creativewriter144108 SILVER, Keizer, Oregon

Bam-What??!!

I agree with everyone else here, amazing story kind sir. I bow to you. Bravo, not even kidding. I LOVED it! :)

on Mar. 17 2014 at 4:23 pm
Mister_J PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado

"Captain, I wish to report a mutiny. I can name fingers and point names." - Captain Jack Sparrow

Pretty good. If you like surprise endings, you should check out my thriller called "From The Inside". It's so freaky that I gave myself nightmares when I finished reading it.

on Jan. 31 2014 at 8:48 am
A.M.Geyer PLATINUM, Alverton, Pennsylvania

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

That was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I totaly love this story!!!!!!!!!!!!

on Dec. 2 2013 at 6:21 am
this is awesome!

on Oct. 30 2013 at 12:32 pm
BeautylovesBeast SILVER, N. Las Vegas, Nevada

The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they'll be when you kill them
-anonymous

It was a short story but it was an incredible story. You did an amazing job writing this story!

on Oct. 11 2013 at 9:23 am
Jezmondinie PLATINUM, Tonbridge, Other

The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

really loved the story! short but snappy and actually a little bit funny :D

on Sep. 12 2013 at 4:26 am
Michaela95 GOLD, Cape Town, Other

The way you do anything, is the way you do everything

Wow, you managed to do what other writers take pages to accomplish. Loved the accelerated pace and build-up. Very refreshing, thank you :D

Michael22 said...
on Jul. 21 2013 at 12:14 pm
Michael22, New Haven, Connecticut

"I have eternal longings in me!"
"Everything you can imagine is real!"

I bow to you Sir! That was an engaging story with a great twist!

on Jun. 26 2013 at 7:22 pm
MorningStar921 PLATINUM, Cheshire, Connecticut

"They made their own choice. They chose family. And, well... isn't that kinda the whole point? No doubt - endings are hard. But then again... nothing ever really ends, does it?"
--Chuck, 'Supernatural' Episode 522

This is such a great story! Loved the surprise twist ending. How'd you ever come up with it?

MetalHead115 said...
on May. 7 2013 at 9:58 am
That. Was. Awesome. Keep writing!

Mella PLATINUM said...
on Mar. 28 2013 at 10:04 pm
Mella PLATINUM, Natchitoches, Louisiana

" All the World's A stage, and all the men and women merely players." - Shakespeare's "All the Worlds A Stage" poem.

Oh, I also noticed the pun " Death has it's heart in the right place" and the guy had his actual heart in the wrong place. Well, you see what I'm saying :p Haha :)

Mella PLATINUM said...
on Mar. 28 2013 at 10:03 pm
Mella PLATINUM, Natchitoches, Louisiana

I loved it, Like everyone else, I also enjoyed the twist :)

on Feb. 7 2013 at 5:00 pm
MadilynRose123 BRONZE, Somewhere In, Pennsylvania
Wow...I really enjoyed that! I liked the part where you really personified death. Looking forward to reading more of your work!

on Dec. 22 2012 at 10:06 am
AlwaysAntlers SILVER, Kingsport, Tennessee

“Don't forget - no one else sees the world the way you do, so no one else can tell the stories that you have to tell.”
― Charles de Lint, (from his book,The Blue Girl)

For anyone that didn't want to look it up, dextrocardia is when the heart is in the right side of the chest, instead of the left. Great story! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep writing!

on Nov. 22 2012 at 2:25 pm
IfLifeGivesYouLemons PLATINUM, Sacramento, California

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life

Hmm. Not bad. A little short - you could have been much more dramatic with it. But then, sometimes short is sweet. It reminded me a lot of Captain Jack Harkness.

GoogleIt7 said...
on Aug. 18 2012 at 10:10 am
I really liked this stroy! And guys, I just posted a new story, and it's my first. Please read and rate!? :)

on Jul. 26 2012 at 7:59 pm
Courts012 BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan

"Everything Happens For A Reason" "Write What You Know"

CHECK OUT MY STORY ON MY PROFILE AND RATE IT =)

Varlen-Byrd said...
on Jul. 11 2012 at 6:35 pm
Varlen-Byrd, Santa Cruz, California

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”

I liked the twist at the end of your story. it was really unexpected. 

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!