Deadly Associations

Part One:
Just Bout Dead

Chapter One

“Come on, Kris!  Not much farther now!”  Beth says.

“I’m coming!” I shout. I’m Kristen Foster. Just Kris will do.  I’m sixteen years old and in eleventh grade. I have light brown hair that goes down to the middle of my back, and I’m at least five foot three in height, and I have hazel eyes.

The girl in front of me kicking my butt in this race is Elizabeth Everett. She’s at least two inches taller than me, has shoulder length blond hair, bright blue eyes and pale skin. She’s been my best friend since second grade and she’s like my sister, considering that I’m an only girl in the family.

“Hey, Mom I’m here!” I yelled.

“Hey, Kris.” my twin brother Cam said as he entered the room. Cam was tall, and slightly built. He had dark brown eyes and light brown hair. He’s roughly two minutes older than me of course that is one of his many claims to fame. He’s captain of the Rosebaum Hedgehog Baseball team, quarterback of the football team, and captain of the debate team. Let’s just say he’s smarter than everyone thinks he is.

“Hi,” said Beth. “How are you?”

“Good, Beth. You two know what this is about?” he asked. We shook our heads no. Honestly my parents are never blunt about things like this. Then they came down the stairs. I was hoping to be able to read they’re expressions but they both kept blank faces.

Our Mom, Stephanie is our school therapist. Honestly my mother has to be the most beautiful person I’ve ever seen. She’s tall, sleek in figure, and beautiful blonde hair that stays in a ponytail.

While our Dad, Johnny is Chief of Police and one of the best detectives in the district. He has blue eyes that are like the sky, curly brown hair and a medium build.

“Cam, Kris come sit down” Mom said to us. Cam and I looked at each other and nervously made our way to the couch.

“So what’s the matter?” Cam asked.

“Should I tell them or you Steph?” Dad asked. Something was wrong the only time my Dad never calls her by her name is when something is wrong.

“Mom…Dad… what’s wrong?!” I ask practically shouting. They all look at me.

Then Mom sighed and finally spoke, “One of your classmates, Melina Bout… was found dead this morning.” Cam and I sat in shock unable to speak. My body reacted before my mind could. I ran upstairs to my room, and slammed the door. Before I knew it I was crying as a million thoughts raced through my head.  She’s dead? Who could do something like this? Especially to Melina, but what hurt me the most was that one of the last things we did together was fight.

Chapter Two

September 24, 2011.

I had just come into the school corridor late for class when I saw Melina mad, charging at me.

“What is your problem!?” she said shouting at me face red. It looked as if flames were going to shoot out of the side of her face at any minute.

“What are you talking about?” I asked.

“Don’t pretend you have no idea what I’m talking about!” she screeched. Then it hit me, Jo Westmore told Melina about my kiss with Josh; even though Melina liked him as well did I. Jo is Melina’s best friend, but so was I, in Jo’s  mind, Melina can only have “one” best friend. She has always been trying to get Beth, and I out of Melina’s good graces for a long time now, and she had finally done it. 

“Melina, it wasn’t like that.” I said trying to calm her down, but only making her angrier. “Melina, whatever you’ve heard isn’t true. This happened after you said you were over Josh, but later on he asked me to homecoming, I said yes.”

“You’re forgetting a few things.” She said, “One: you guys kissed, two: you didn’t even bother to see how I felt about all of this. Finally three...”she stopped abruptly. I knew what was coming next, but I didn’t dare ask.
“So… after all these years this is how our friendship ends?

“Three: we’re no longer friends.” She said as she sauntered off without missing a beat. Like that our friendship was over in less than three minutes. I gathered my things, proceeding to the bathroom as tears began to flow from my eyes.