The Letter

Hello.

You don’t know who I am, but I know who you are. Don’t worry, your secret is safe with me. You wouldn’t want anyone to find out who you truly become in the dark of night, alone.

I have written to you to give you instructions. You see, I have been watching you for a long, long time. I think your abilities could be of some use to me. Rest assured, I will pay you fairly for your services. You know better than anyone that these things come at a price.

If you look out your bedroom window to the skyscraper across the street, I am on the sixth floor from the top and in the window three from the right. You needn’t try to hunt me down; I mean you no harm. I simply wish to gain your trust. There is nothing to lose from working with me- you can only gain. Together, we can save what this city is truly losing. I know people, you see, people that can keep secrets for the right price (that I just happen to be able to pay). You would work small hours each week, to keep suspicion off of your undercover job. However, you could quit your job at Santander and still earn more than enough for you to live comfortably in that pristine apartment of yours.

That girl you invite over… you aren’t interested in her. She’s a good catch, but why play with her so? Does she know about you? Does she know about your secret identity? I would assume not. This isn’t a superhero movie. If you keep her along for the ride, you will not be able to keep her in the dark, and she will most likely not survive. But this is beside the point.

If you wish to know more about your mission, meet me at Cafe Madeleine at 2:00 Thursday afternoon. Please be on time; I don’t like to be kept waiting. If you choose not to accept my offer, no worries- I will never bother you again. I just hope you will have an open ear and an open mind to what I have to say.
I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. May we see each other again.

Truly yours,

J. Beaumont