Zodiac 2.0 | Teen Ink

Zodiac 2.0

January 4, 2017
By hannahbaysinger BRONZE, Mocksville, North Carolina
hannahbaysinger BRONZE, Mocksville, North Carolina
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Sunday, I got to wake up late, watch TV all day, and order Japanese food for dinner. Let’s not forget I got to spend the entire day with my Pomchi June. She hopped around the apartment all day until we went to Central Park after lunch. But this Sunday was different, I woke up to June barking at me and my door rattling. I pulled my hand gun out from my wood nightstand and went to the door.
“Who is it?” I asked c***ing the gun.
“Rover! It’s me! Nathan!” The new kid in the squad that just so happened to live in the complex across the street.
“Nathan, no one wakes me up on Sundays you know that.” I said walking away.
“Yeah, that why the big man didn’t bother to call.”
“What does he want?”
“Let me in and I’ll explain.”
I went to my room and put sweats on over my pj’s, picked June up and opened the door. June instantly started barking at the stranger coming in my house. I set her down and went to start my coffee maker. Nathan followed me to my kitchen and sat down at the island.
“So what does the big man want?” I poured water into the small coffee maker.
“He says it’s another zodiac killer, I think he’s lying but he wanted me to come and get you to come in. He wants me and you on the case.”
I laughed, there was no way he was willingly going to put me on an important case like this with a dude like Nathan. I was the only girl on the force and Nathan was only hired a week ago. I turned and looked at him.
¨You’re kidding right?¨ I leaned down and picked up June.
¨Nope, he was dead serious on the phone.¨
¨Ok fine, I´ll pick you up in 15 minutes.¨
Nathan ambled out of my apartment and I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth. I found a hair tie in the cabinet and went to put my clothes on. I hauled the bullet proof vest onto my shoulders and buttoned up my shirt. I placed my gun in the holster and laced up my shoes. I left June some food, since I didn't know when I was returning, grabbed my keys and walked out the door to my 2015 black Dodge Challenger. Nathan was sitting on a bench beside it and hopped up when he saw me.
I didn't say a word on the way to the station, keeping one hand on the wheel and the other flipping through the radio stations. We arrived 20 minutes later to a parking lot full of news station vans and reporters. I pulled to the back to avoid questions and to keep Nathan from saying something stupid.
¨EDMUNDS!¨ ¨ROVER THANK GOD.¨ And other things including my name were yelled as soon as I walked in the door.
The big man Walker called me into his office right after I clocked in. He stood a solid 6´7¨ 250 pounds and if looks could kill, the entire force would be dead.
¨Rover, sit down.¨ He motioned to the chair in front of his desk.
¨I´m sure blabber mouth Nathan has already told you that we have a killer on the loose. I called it a Zodiac killer because there have been five brutal murders and no clear suspect. It´s an impossible case, but you're the only person in the force I trust with it much.¨
¨A Zodiac killer?¨ I questioned as he handed me a thick case file.
¨We believe that he is related to the killers in the 1960´s, maybe attempting to carry on his work in a different part of the country. We want you to figure this out as soon as possible.¨
¨Yes sir, I´ll get this done for you.¨
¨Not me, for the town Edmunds.¨
I took the case file and walked back to my desk, everything was exactly where I had left it, papers straightened, pens put away, and mouse to my computer was unmoved. I set the case file down and looked for the suspect files, hoping to give me some leadway into my investigation. I reached for my blue pen to write notes with and realized it was gone.
¨NATHAN!¨ I yelled and a blue pen came flying over my cubicle wall.
I wrote note on the margins hoping to make connections to anything, but it all just seemed so distant. Five completely unrelated victims killed at weird times on random nights, Sunday at 8:18 P.M. Rosa Jenkins was shot in the head after parking off the side of the road to get some rest. Tuesday 7:20 P.M. Jackson Miller was killed at a scenic spot with his girlfriend Christie Sanders dying in the hospital of her injuries. Last but not least was Thursday at 9:19 Christian Radar and Sophia Brown were stabbed to death at a lake nearby.
The times were very precise, 8:18, 9:19. Why was that? Why did they want to be so exact about the time they took another's life? I stood up and went to grab some coffee, hoping the guys hadn't used all creamer already. I pondered the times, it had to be important in some way. They were almost like dates, as in the 9th through the 19th or the 8th through the 18th. No that wasn't it, too easy, this guy was smarter than this if he never left a single clue.
I plopped back down to see the suspect files on my desk, there was only 3 and they were very thin. Harrison Fraser, Connor Burke, and Kade Reynolds, all middle aged men when had been suspects in murder cases before but never convicted. I stood up and walked into Walker? office.
¨Can I have these 3 in for questioning tomorrow?¨ I asked setting their files on his desk.
¨Absolutely, got anything yet?¨
¨Not as of now sir, but soon!¨ I said and walked out.
I grabbed my keys and looked at the time, 6:45 already. I scooped up my evidence and started to my car. There was only a few news vans still in the front lot, and one of the camera men spotted me. He and the reporter walked quickly over and I tossed my folder into my car.
¨Ma'am may we have a word?¨ She asked and straightened her dress.
¨Of course, what can I help you with?¨ I questioned.
¨On the recent murders that have been going in this town, how is the force going to step up its protection of its citizens?”
“We just ask that everyone be smart about what they’re doing, don’t go off  alone of do anything that could cause you harm.”
“How long do you think it’s going to take to catch this killer?” She questioned staring dead into my eyes.
“I can’t say for certain ma’am, but I can guarantee that we will work our hardest and find him as soon as possible.”
“Thank you very much officer…”
“Edmunds,” I extended my hand to shake hers “Rover Edmunds.”

I walked in and hour early on Monday, making sure I had time to prepare myself for what the day had ahead. I had to interview 3 suspects that had no idea what they are coming in for. Walker said he would be watching and help if I wanted. I was determined to do this on my own. I gathered my papers and walked to the questioning room.
“Harrison Fraser.” I said opening the door and setting my things down.
“Yes ma’am.” He said and sat there quietly.
“I’ve brought you here today to just ask you a few questions and I can hope you’ll be honest with me correct?”
“Yes ma’am.”
“I’m sure you’ve heard of the recent murders going on in this town haven’t you?” He nodded his head, “Ok, and what can you tell me about them?”
“I believe it’s five victims now isn’t it?” I nodded, “Well all I’ve heard is the times they’ve been killed and their names.”
“And you aren’t withholding information from me are you Mr. Fraser?” I sipped my coffee that was quite strong.
“No, ma’am.” He placed his shaking hands on the table.
“Then why right here,” I turned the folder to him, “Does it say aggravated assault against Rosa Jenkins in 2014? Is there any reason it was assault and not murder?”
“No ma’am, that was a rough patch in my life and I needed money and I lost it and I did my time and behaved and got out early and I’ve been clean ever since.”
“I’m not accusing you, Mr. Fraser, just asking, there’s no need to worry.”
“I did not do it ma’am.” He looked me right in the eyes.
“Well Mr. Fraser, I’m sorry I took time out of your day. Come, I’ll show you the way out.” I gathered my things and opened the door.
I plopped down at my cubicle and took some aspirin, this was going to be an extremely long day. I heard Nathan’s footsteps approaching, I didn’t want to deal with him at all right now.
“Hey Rover, if you need help with the questioning I’ll be here.”
“Thanks Nathan, but I’m good.”
I stood and walked to get my next suspect Kade Reynolds. He had been seen at every single crime scene only a few days before and went to school with Jackson Miller, evidently there was some rough history between them, giving him a clear motive into his murder.
“Good morning Mr. Reynolds, how are you?” I opened the door and sat in front of him.
“Well I’m bein questioned by a darn female, so, it’s terrible. You?”
“Do you know anything about the murders of these people?” I pushed five pictures in front of him.
“Weren’t these the youngin’s killed by that Zodiac man?”
“That’s what we believe sir.”
“No ma’am, I surely don’t.”
“Are you withholding. . .” The door flew open.
“There’s been another one.” Nathan said.
“When?” I gathered the pictures and stuffed my things into my folder.
“An hour ago, latest.” He huffed and ran down the hallway.
“I do apologize sir, I’ll show you out.”
“No harm done missie. I’ll show myself out, you got a big ole ruckus in here.” He walked out quickly.
I ran to my desk and laid my things down and sprinted to Walker’s office. He was on the phone and the lines were ringing off the hook. He looked at me and pointed to the door, my que. I ran to my car turned my lights on and sped to the scene, Nathan and a few others followed closely behind.
It was a small alleyway, and there was a single body on the ground, a pool of  deep purple blood laid around the midsection and a smaller one formed at the head of the victim. A bullet wound to the chest was clearly visible and a demolished skull and spine were clearly seen, bones twisted in completely unhuman directions. Hawthorne began snapping pictures and several other started marking the area off.
“Jacobs, will you and Collins go through the buildings and ask them to keep their alley windows shut for a while? Howard you and forensics get busy as soon as possible. And the rest of you keep the press off me.”

1 A.M. The latest I had ever gotten home. I stumbled into my room and passed out on my bed. And then I thought. At 8:20 in the morning what convinced this killer to murder Kelly Watson? She was clean on the background check, she had never done anything wrong. Born May 20th she had grown up in this town, top 20 graduating high school and opened her own business recently.
There was no explanation for any of this. The murders were completely random and the victims had no relation to each other at all. But, they had to.
The times. That was it.
I ran to the kitchen and opened my evidence. 8:18, in military time it was 20:18, 7:20 was 19:20, and 9:19, or 21:19. They took the Zodiac Killer to heart. Aquarius, January 20th to February 18th, Pisces, February 19th to March 20th, and they continued to line up. The victims were being killed in order of their star sign.
I had a pattern now, but still no suspects however. But I was finally making progress. That was good enough for now, i only made it to the couch before I passed out.

“Edmunds, that’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.” Walker laughed.
“It’s true!” I slapped the folders on his desk and explained everything, twice.
“Are you bleeding?” He questioned pointing to my ear.
I touched it, there was blood running down my neck. I pulled my blue pen out from behind my ear and saw that there was a red tinge to it. I looked at Walker in confusion, I wasn’t bleeding, there was someone's blood on my blue pen. I ran to Howard in forensics and extended my shaking hand with my pen in it.
“I need to know who’s blood is on this pen. It’s not mine.”
“Give me just a few minutes kid.” He said and took it back to the lab.
I stood there and my anxiety grew and grew as I waited for him to tell me who’s it was, it was definitely not mine, and I had no idea who’s it would be.
“John Lewis, the man that was killed yesterday.”
“But I didn’t bring that pen to the scene, how did it get his blood on it?”
“Doesn’t Nathan share your pen sometimes?”
I stared at him. If Nathan had brought it, it’d mean that he was the killer, he wasn’t on the team that helped get the body up, the blood was cleaned off by the cleaning guys, the blood was washed when it got to the morgue and then we left it.
“Hey Rover!” Nathan called from the hallway, “What’s your Zodiac sign again?”
“YOU’RE THE KILLER NATHAN!” I yelled and placed my hand on my gun by my side.
“Ha, I’m the what?”
“You’re the Zodiac killer! You had blood on my pen and you’re obsessed with the stupid Zodiac signs!”
“They’re not stupid Rover!”
“I don’t care about the signs Nathan, you killed 6 people, 6 innocent people.”
“NO! THEY WERE NOT INNOCENT!” He yelled.
People had gathered, half the force was behind him on full alert. His face was turning red and his arms twitching. Then his hand traveled to his gun.
“You wanna see what I do Rover?” He unclipped his gun and pointed the barrel straight at me.
I unclipped my gun, this could turn ugly very quickly. Then it did. He pulled the trigger and sent a bullet into my shoulder. I rocked back at the force of the bullet hitting the counter behind me. I heard yelling and possibly another gunshot, but at the moment I didn’t know what to do. Blood was pouring out onto my uniform and splattering on the ground.
“ROVER!” Was all I heard when I hit the ground.

I woke to bright hospital lights, roses to my left, and Walker sitting on my right. There was a pain in my wrapped shoulder when I attempted to move causing me to stop and lay back down.
“Easy kid,” Walker shot up, “We can’t have you doing anymore damage to yourself.”
“Nathan?”
“Took a bullet to the gut, didn’t make it.”
I sighed, I had solved my first murder case ever, even though it was the new kid on the force. I at 30 years old had solved a murder in my own town with little to no help. I could honestly say I was pretty proud of myself.