The Summer of '82 | Teen Ink

The Summer of '82

By matt_lax10 BRONZE, Snoqualmie, Washington
matt_lax10 BRONZE, Snoqualmie, Washington

The summer of ’82 was an eventful summer, but not in a good way. When a torn up body is discovered in the Mississippi river, detective Johnny Loc is put to the case. Little does he know that he is about to stir up a huge hornet’s nest of deception, murder, and an old racial party.

Chapter One: Discoveries

The hot sun’s bright lights pierced the curtains. The room of the four-story police precinct provided little cover from the
90-degree temperature. But this didn’t bother Loc, oh no, not one tiny bit. Things like heat didn’t bother him. He bragged about being torched by flames in an old police case. He realized that heat wasn’t that big of a deal.

Loc was looking into a case, a double homicide, and suicide. Or was it? Loc always questioned the cases. And he had done a damn good job of it. But he questioned this case more than any case he had questioned before. When he first looked at the crime scene with CSI units, there were some peculiar things he noticed like how neat the bodies were, the suspected time of day, and the suicide victim.  He glanced at the police reports of the crime.

Date: 6/12/82
Crime: Double homicide/ suicide
Victims: Dan Power, age: 45, race: African American, sex: male
Last seen: Vicksburg, SE street…

That name bounced around in his head for a second,
“Dan Power, hmmm.” Then it hit him like a 9mm revolver. He jumped out of his chair and swung out of the room like a monkey. He sprinted down the hallway. He reached the south corridor and went off to the personal files.

“Hey Janet, I need all the files we have on a one Dan Power.” Loc said to Janet, the lady in charge of personal files.

“Um, okay, give me a second.” Janet stood up from her chair and walked into the back room.
Loc looked down and saw a book on the table. “To Kill a Mocking Jay; we read that stuff?”

“Its interesting,” said Janet as she walked out of the back room.
“Well, here’s all the papers on Dan Powers.”

Loc snatched the paper out of her hands and ran back down the hallway.

“WAIT, you need to, oh never mind,” and went back to reading her book. Loc reached his office and slammed the door shut. All the information was bouncing around in his head. He sat down and flipped open the files and began to read. He looked at the paper for a good minute and than said, “Dan Powers worked at the old brothel cross town, maybe I could get some information from there.”

He looked back down at the papers. “Oh shoot, they’re tearing down that building, TODAY.” Loc jumped out of his seat and grabbed his car keys. He dashed down the stairs; he didn’t want to wait for the elevator.

He jumped into his car and was off. He turned on the radio.
“The rains down in A-frica…” “Oh I can’t stand this song,” and flipped the radio off.

Sean7 BRONZE said...
on Dec. 6 2016 at 4:10 pm
Sean7 BRONZE, Snoqualmie, Washington
Nice job Matthew!