Heart Tale Tell The | Teen Ink

Heart Tale Tell The

By Almira BRONZE, Coppell, Texas
Almira BRONZE, Coppell, Texas

Many years have flown by,  I have become attached to my care taker, Mateo, who is oh so sweet and jolly despite having to cope with my only one good eye. The other I had lost in an accident when I was young man, now a pale blue eye made of glass and covered in a translucent film takes its place.
One fine day there was a shift in the atmosphere in the house...as if the evils of hell had set foot into this house. This is when I began to notice the subtle vile actions that Mateo began to display. He became an even more peculiar young man, it was as if their were a multitude of voices swarming inside his mind, as he walked up and down the stairs, his hand slowly trembling and his eyes piercing straight ahead, he muttered many unspeakable things about “ The eye of a vulture the evil will take over...come to an end for eternity.” A cold chill shot down my back as my body began to shiver in fright.
As the night approached, I attempted to fall asleep but the horrific words kept replaying in my head as if it was a broken cassette. A feeling of insanity began to overtake my body. The clock had struck twelve, a thunderous sound came from the clock downstairs as the ground started to softly vibrate. As my eyes began to close the floorboards slowly began to creak and the muffled sound of footsteps slowly became clear. The door opened and the hinges on the door slowly squeaked alerting me of the presence of Mateo in my room. I am able to hear a soft vicious laugh coming out of Mateo as if he thinks he is oh so cunning being able to sneak into my room, he won't be laughing for long.  Every morning Mateo would courageously speak to me with a hearty tone but I KNEW HE WASN’T GOING TO GET AWAY WITH THIS HAHAHA! It had been a total of seven nights and today I saw Mateo eyeing a knife.
I began to formulate a plan, Mateo thought he was cunning? That is quite the knee slapper, I am the cunning one...ME not Mateo!  Ha! At this point you may think I have gone insane but you should see the way he glares at me with his piercing eyes and that sly grin upon his face as he eyed the knife laying on the table beside him.
The sun slowly began to set over the horizon and darkness engulfed the house. I took the vest with fake blood that I had so cleverly assembled and put it on under my clothing and took my place in bed. It was a brilliant move now I just needed the clock to strike twelve for my magnificent plan to take place. As soon as the clock banged twelve the floorboards slowly began to creak and I could hear the muffled footsteps.  I heard as he, little by little, pulled out his knife.
I felt the blood spread across my shirt. Mateo then dragged me downstairs and began to take the floorboards out; I felt the fourth vibration of the clock meaning it was four o’clock in the morning. My body was thrown under the floorboards. Mateo then began to nail each board back into place the sound of the hammer was piercing into my ear the doorbell goes off.  I manage to make out the words of what seem to be two men both police officers, the neighbors had heard my scream and had called for the cops. Mateo’s charming manner had distracted the police. He placed the chair right above where my body lay...my lungs soon became heavy because of the lack of air and I began to imitate the sound of a heartbeat by banging the floorboard above me; I was beginning to suffocate. I felt each shudder of Mateo’s body and soon the police heard these pulses however my lungs were shallow, every breath was agonizing. The guilt had taken Mateo, “I admit the deed! The heart, the man, it was taking over my body I did it!”. My final beat hit the floorboard and my lungs closed up...

The inspiration of this story came from the short story The Tell Tale Heart. I took the story line presented in the Tell Tale Heart and added a completley new spin on it. I hope that after reading this piece you will be able to see how every story can be seen through many different perspectives; every point of view comes with a new story waiting to be written.