A night to remember or forget? | Teen Ink

A night to remember or forget?

By ocjones01 BRONZE, Fredirick, Colorado
ocjones01 BRONZE, Fredirick, Colorado

I remember how cold that day was. The day I hit an innocent person with my car, and then drove off.
It was the weather. I was heading home on a friday night after a long work shift, usually no one is out this late on the roads but me, and it was snowing so much i could barely see in front of me. I had a red light but i slid and couldn't stop in time.
I remember the impact, and the noise.  After the accident everything was a bluh, kind of like a dream. My ears were buzzing and the weather was still bad, i didn't know what happened, so i just drove off…
The next day it felt like it was a dream, the only reason i knew it wasn't because my body was as stiff as a rock.
Over time I was able to overcome what had happened, I never told anyone what really happened, fearing I would get in trouble. I moved on with my life, finished high school and started to apply for colleges. I got accepted to Minnesota State, and chose to go there, staying close to home but also far enough for me to enjoy myself.
My first week we went our roommates and moved into our dorms. My roommate was Jenny, she was a super nice gal but I noticed she had a little limp, I didn't want to come across as rude so i never mentioned it but i always wondered. We became super close as the school year went on, we had a lot in common and we considered each other best friends.
One night we were drinking together, just the two of us. I asked her, “What's the scariest thing that has ever happened to you?” Jenny paused for a moment then said, “I think we know eachother well enough for me to tell you this, right?” I nodded as she went on. “The scariest thing to ever happen to me, is I was involved in a hit-and-run car accident.”
I froze for a moment and my heart started pounding hard, I could feel it in my throat. I looked shocked and she went on.
“It was this past winter, before graduation, I was actually coming up here to visit. I'm not from around here as you know, Kara and I wasn't used to the weather, but I don't think it was my fault I had the green light and right of way.”  Jenny said
My head was spinning, I didn't know if I come clean, or if it really was true, my roommate and best friend was the person I had hit and drove off. It couldn't have been true. I wouldn't let it, I couldn't.
“They messed up my leg, that's why I have a limp now, and all I can remember is seeing a black car and headlights in the snow, and the rest is lost.”
“Wow” I said with hesitation, “I'm so sorry that happened to you.”
What am I doing? Why don't i just come clean and tell her that was my black car, that was me that was too scared and wimpy to come out and see if you were ok.?!
Going to bed that night I couldn't sleep, every time i shut my eyes I had the car accident replaying in my head, I can't stop being angry at myself for not stopping, or helping.
As the year went on it was harder and harder to look Jenny in the eyes and be honest. She was more open now about the car accident and her troubles with it. One day she told me her parents and her might be able to figure who hit her and sue. But they left the choice up to Jenny to decide if she wants that or not. That's when I realized i need to tell her the truth, but how?
My nightmares with the car accident were getting bad, I was sleeping about 5 hours every night, I still could not stand the fact that I have done such a horrible thing to such a great person.
I wake up screaming and sweating, Jenny comes over to my bed and asks me what's wrong and what's going on. “I did it!! It was me! I'm so sorry Jenny!” I yelped. She stares at me with wide eyes confused.
Jenny and I talked it out that night, we were both a mess from start to finish. She somehow found the strength in herself to forgive me, with time of course. But now I have come clean with my truth, I wonder if she will do the same with her parents, or tell them to stop searching for who hit her…?

This story I came up with, it is not related to anyone I know persionally, I enjoy mysterys and I hope you do too!