The House | Teen Ink

The House

October 23, 2016
By ruthvera SILVER, Dublin, California
ruthvera SILVER, Dublin, California
5 articles 7 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes the right path, isn't the easiest one"


The doors creaked as they opened by themselves. The stairs were worn out and looked old and unsteady. The walkway leading up to the house were cracked in which weeds and dandelions poked out. Red roses were grown wildly in thick batches by the gate. The moonlight cast a ghoulish glow on the house. The creepy vines formed a twisted maze upon the side of house. Cobwebs covered the corners of the doors, tiny black spiders threading towards their prey. Windows were covered with grime and dirt. Sharp shadows roamed around the room. The sofa and chairs overturned, revealing deep grooves on the ground where they used to sit. Wallpaper lay curled on the floor. I walked up the stairs into the bedroom. Each step intensified the moaning and creaking as if I could collapse at any moment. I turned to the right, and met my final destination. The door was heavy, as a forceful push was needed. Stepping inside, a dresser seem to have been pushed against the door. I could make out the silhouette of a bed, and I edged in for a closer look.  A toy dinosaur lay missing its head on the bed. The sheet was splattered with a dark color. The wind intensified outside, the rustling of the leaves and branches were louder. In the corner, a little chair began to rock slowly. The atmosphere felt ominous. I heard a howl from somewhere outside. Then I heard the sound of footsteps, getting louder every second.  I sprinted out as fast I could out of the house as it didn’t feel welcoming in any way at all, although it could be welcoming to a ghost.  


The author's comments:

I wrote this to experiment my descriptive writing skills. I started out from the sentence, "The house was spooky". Just from that sentence, I wrote this whole "short story". I "showed" how the house was spooky, and without actually stating it. I hope you enjoy!