The Party | Teen Ink

The Party

October 21, 2016
By Anonymous

I walked slowly down the street, the silence soothing against my ears. After the craziness of the party, I was glad to finally have some peace and quiet. My head was still ringing from the blasting music paired with the strobe lights and fog machine. I could barely think straight. Everything that happened that night was a blur. The only things I could remember were snippets of conversations, and the occasional picture of someone I was dancing with. Now that I was away from all of that, I finally had peace. Honestly, I didn’t even want to go to that party. I only went because John insisted that I come with him. He left me about 10 minutes into the party to go hook up with someone. All of this was running around my mind as I walked through the silent and still night.
When I finally arrived home, I snuck silently up through my house to my room. I took off my clothes and flopped down in bed. After what felt like an eternity, I fell asleep. The next morning, I woke to a soft light coming through my window and the smell of sizzling bacon from my kitchen. I slid out of bed, rubbing my eyes. I slipped on my sweat pants, and headed downstairs. There was bacon cooking away in a frying pan on my stove, but my family was nowhere to be seen. I called out, “Mom? Dad?” but got no response. I thought they must have just gone out for a bike ride, but I wondered why they left the bacon cooking. I decided they must have just forgotten about it, and turned off the flame.
A few hours later I started to get worried because my parents still weren’t home. They left their phones at home, so I couldn’t contact them at all. When it reached 4 P.M. I started to full on panic. I called the police to report a missing person. When I told the officer my name, they laughed and hung up. I didn’t know why or what was going on. I tried calling again, and got the same response. I then ran down to the police station, which was only about 3 minutes away. I bursted through the door and ran to the nearest desk. I slammed my fist down on the desk and demanded that the officer file a missing person’s report. He scoffed at me and simply replied “F*ck off, kid”. Infuriated, I pushed all of his things off the desk. I screamed at him “THESE ARE MY PARENTS! YOU ARE GOING TO HELP ME FIND THEM!”. He started laughing, and pulled out his gun. He pointed it directly at my head and whispered, “You must forget what you did. Let me refresh your memory”. As he said the word “memory” a wide, crooked smile slid across his face.


The author's comments:

I was assigned this piece as a 15 minute writing piece for my LA class, and I really liked the way it turned out. I did a little editing and added a little more to the story, and I really like the ending.