The Real Monsters | Teen Ink

The Real Monsters

By PipperL BRONZE, Sunset, Texas
PipperL BRONZE, Sunset, Texas

Every corner i turn. They’re everywhere. Creeping around in the dark like possum. They follow me around like flies. I feel the monsters all around me. I should’ve gone home at nightfall. Instead, I got trapped here. In the middle of a sea of children going door-to-door begging other people for candy. Some dressed as witches. Some dressed like vampires. One even dressed like the Grim Reaper.
      There was a group of teenagers dressed as zombies going around and scaring little kids. They would hide behind corners waiting for their next victims to approach so they can jump out and send them off screaming. I wasn’t afraid of the children in costumes or terrorizing teens. No. I was scared of something more powerful. Something that EVERYONE was afraid of.
      I was afraid of the real monsters. The true demons of the night.The people who really were gonna “get you”. The people that follow you down the street and wait for you to be alone. They want to corrupt all your innocence. They want you to fear them. They want to use you. They are like hungry predator that lure their prey to right where they want them. When they are there, THEY POUNCE!

I was honestly stumped on this topic at first but it sounded fun to write. My friend suggested writing something more realistic. "Realism is scarier than fiction because it could actually happen." she adds to prove her point. I agreed with her and began writing. I tried to lure your thoughts toward fictional characters and costumes being the big fear then spice it up by actually wring about a real, and very scary topic. I just want the generations to realize how dangerous strangers can really be, and i want kids to fear bad people so they can avoid dangerous situations.