The Start of the End of Humanity

I slept in the guest room of Mrs. Johnson’s house. The room had a large queen-sized bed under the window. The moon shone dully across the room.

I lay on my back, staring at the ceiling. It was now 2 o’clock in the morning and I couldn’t sleep. I had a strange feeling that someone was watching. I shifted my gaze to the floor, sighing.
“You’re overreacting,” I whispered to myself

Then a shadow ran across the room and disappeared. I bolted upright. What was that? I looked out the window. The road was empty except for my car. I shook my head. I’m probably just imagining things.

I was about to lie back down when I heard a loud crash. John, Jordan, and Kayla were down in the basement, so I doubt they heard anything.  I held my breath, listening. Seconds later, a scream hit my ears. A woman’s scream. Then, another scream, this one male.

I climbed out of bed and crept towards the door. Opening it, I looked into the hall. It was empty. Another crash sounded followed by a low groan. I believed it came from the living room. I tiptoed into the kitchen. I grabbed a large kitchen knife off the counter, just in case.

I peeked around the corner. A man stood in the middle of the room. Even in the dim lighting, I could see that this thing was not human. His...well its shirt was ripped, exposing ugly gray skin. On his arm, the skin was torn, bone showing. I gasped as I got a glimpse of its face.

Its eyes were clear as if it were he were blind. A large red stain covered the skin around its mouth. I pulled my gaze away from the creature and down to the floor where two bodies lay sprawled out like rag dolls.

Mr. and Mrs. Matthews.

A lump formed in my throat as I turned back to the creature. I flinched. It was staring directly at me, breathing heavily. I could smell its breath from ten feet away. It seemed to be a mixture of rotten eggs, rust, and salt. Then it happened.

The creature came at me at an alarming speed. I let out a yell as I was grabbed by the shoulder. The creature opened its mouth wide; its hot breath blew in my face.

This it, I thought, I’m going to die.

Then I remembered. The knife. I was still clutching it tightly in my hand. I lifted it and swung. The creature’s head came clean off. Blood exploded from its body, staining my clothes, the floor, and walls.

Breathing hard, I looked up to find Jordan, John, and Kayla watching the scene silently, horror in their eyes.

"Sebastian, what happened,” John asked in a shaky voice, stepping over the body towards me. Before I could answer, Jordan spoke.

“Mom,” she called out “Dad?”

She stood there for a second before rushing into the living room. Then her scream sounded. John ran past me with Kayla and I right behind him. I flicked on the living room light. Jordan was on the floor clutching her parents’ bodies, tears rolling down her red cheeks.

John stood beside her, a single tear running down his face. Kayla stood with her hand over her mouth. I walked to the window and pulled aside the curtains. Down the road, a large crowd was heading towards the house.

“John,” I said urgently. “You need to see this.”

John walked up beside me and looked out the window, gasping. He backed away.
“We need to get somewhere safe,” he told me. “You and Kayla block the doors. I’ll be right back.”

He then disappeared into the hallway. Kayla and I grabbed the arms of the sofa and pulled it to the door. Jordan had moved into the corner, away from her parents. Trembling sobs left her every now and then. Groans and moans got closer to the house.

“They’re getting closer,” I said.

“Well,” Kayla panted as she tried to lift one of the arm chairs. “Help me.”

By the time John got back, the mob was right outside the door, looking for a way in. They pounded on the door and windows. Kayla was trying to comfort Jordan. John walked in with two large duffle bags. I walked over as he dumped the contents on the floor.

“Whoa”, I said. Three handguns, a pair of twin pistols, a machine gun, a TMP, and a shotgun lay in a pile on the floor.
“For emergencies”, John explained. I nodded and picked up the TMP.

As soon as we got Jordan to calm down, Kayla packed a bag of first aid supplies and canned food. She took the twin pistols. John got the machine gun and Jordan got the shotgun. We had decided to go through the back and through the woods.

Then there was a crash. Several gray arms busted through the window.

“Let’s get out of here,” I said quickly.

John nodded and we went out the back door. Groans of the creatures echoed through the night as we ran, not knowing what was ahead or what was waiting for us.

But there was one thing I did know. We weren’t going to be safe anytime soon.