She's Coming | Teen Ink

She's Coming

By KHhamiltonarts SILVER, Keizer, Oregon
KHhamiltonarts SILVER, Keizer, Oregon

Chapter 1

“Hey Carter!”, I turn around to find Derek Floyd pushing through the crowd.
He puts his arm across my shoulders, Derek and I have been best friends since kindergarten. Derek is a whole head taller than me. He has dark brown hair that’s so long it curls at his neck. It’s kinda shaggy. He has blue eyes and tan skin with freckles. He’s a jock. Track and field, swimming, and basketball. He’s smart too. All the girls love him. He’s sweet and funny. Very muscular.
“So there’s this party-”
“No”
“I didn’t even finish my sentence”
I push his arm off my shoulders. He puts it back across my shoulders.
“What’s wrong?”, he asks.
“Nothing. Finish your sentence”, I say.
“Not until you tell me what’s wrong”
I look him in the eye.
He nods. “Dad?”
I look back forward. He opens the school door for me.
“Finish your sentence, Derek”, I say.
He removes his arm. “So this Saturday is our basketball party. And we’re allowed to invite a friend. I thought you might like to come”
I open the passanger door to his car and get in. He get’s in and we buckle up. “You know I hate basketball”
He starts the car. “Sawyer Grant is on the team”
I stare at him. He looks back at me.
“Are you coming with me or not?”
I look straight ahead again. “I’ll ask my aunt tonight”
He nods and pulls out of the parking lot. I stare at the sig as we drive off of school property. “Anderson High”. Derek and I are seniors this year.
Chapter 2

Sawyer Grant is a jock too. He’s in all the same sports as Derek. He’s really good. Really popular. Also, a senior. Blonde hair, two inches taller than me, deep-dark-blueish-green eyes. He’s not as muscular as Derek, but still has muscle. Kinda skinny. High cheekbones, long eyelashes and his hair is about 2 inches shorter than Derek’s. He’s so good-looking. Also, very, popular. All the girls love him. He’s also very smart. Two Honors classes and two AP classes. He’s in my art class. He’s really good at realistic drawings and paintings. I’ve had a crush on him since 9th grade. He doesn’t talk to me. But maybe this party will change things. 
            Derek said to think of this as like a summer-type-of-party. Casually dressy. So I scan myself in a mirror.  I straightened my long way hair and now is down to my hips. I think I'll curl the ends. I'm wearing my white lace dress that's strapless, with a jean jacket. My ankle boots with heels give me an extra two inches; they're open toed.  When I’m done with my hair, I do my makeup. Bright red lipstick, and a little blush. Dark brown eyeshadow, since i’m kinda pale, with thick black eyeliner. Mascara and curled eyelashes to top it off. This lipstick makes my freckles really noticeable. I like it. The dress stops at my knees. My necklace is a long gold chain with a single arrow since I love archery. I look out the window to see Derek’s car sitting out front. 
“Carter?”, I turn to find my little brother in the doorway.
“I’ll be back by ten”, I say, grabbing my purse and phone off my bed.
Xavier nods. “I know. But what about mom?”
I hug him tightly and stroke his two inch long hair.
“It’ll be okay. Tell her to wait for me before she sings to you, okay?”, I whisper into his hair.
“Okay”
I kiss the top of his head. Then I let go enough to search his eyes. They’re just like mine. Light-greyish-blue. He has less freckles. His brown hair is darker than mine, almost black. Mine is more like a milk chocolate. He’s average height for a 10 year old. Skinny too.
“Ask Jennifer to help you with your homework when she get’s home, okay?”
He nods. I squeeze his hand then walk through the door and down the stairs. As soon as I get to the door, my aunt Ingrid says, “Be careful Carter”
“I will”, I say.
Then I leave.

*  *  *

“You look nice”, Derek says as we pull away from the curb.
“Thanks, so do you”, I reply.
He’s wearing a blue flannel shirt, with dark blue jeans and black converse. And of course,
his letterman jacket is in the backseat. Did he cut his hair? It’s 3 inches shorter. 
“Hey, I have a question”, I say.
“Ask away”, he says, shifting gears as we turn. He’s better at stick shift.
“Why aren’t you taking Makayla to the party?”
He sighs and slouches his shoulders. “We broke up. She dumped me for John” I look at him then. He looks miserable. “I’m fine Carter, don’t worry about it. I’m fine”, he says.
“You sure?”, I ask.
He nods. 
“Okay”, I say.

*  *  *

The party the coach’s house. Everyone on the team is like family. There’s music playing loudly, soda, chips, dip, burgers, hotdogs, and a cake. As soon as we walk in, Derek hangs his coat with everyone else’s on the coat rack. He takes mine and my purse and hangs them. Derek immediately stopped slouching and started smiling as soons as we got out of the car. He finds Sawyer and introduces me.
“Hey Sawyer!”, Derek yells over the music.
He’s by the food getting soda. Red flannel, dark blue jeans, and black converse. He highfives Derek and smiles at me. 
“You must be Carter Faye. I’ve heard a lot about you. You’re really pretty”, he says. 
I blush. “Thanks”
Derek pushes me closer to Sawyer. “I’ll let you two mingle. I’m gonna go find coach”
Sawyer and I nod and look at each other.
“So, what have you guys heard?”, I ask, curious how much Derek’s said.
“You like archery, you’re a really pretty senior, you hate basketball, you’re a great artist and a good singer, you’ve had a crush on me since 9th grade, you and Derek have been Bffs since kindergarten, you have a 10 year old brother named Xavier, your mother died, your father’s in jail, you live with your aunt, uncle, and older cousin”, he takes a deep breath, about to say something else.
I quickly put up my hand to stop him. “No, it’s okay, I get it. He told you guys everything”
I put my hand down. Sawyer relaxes and nods.
“That’s embarrassing”, I run a hand through my hair.
Sawyer shakes his head. “Don’t be embarrassed”
“I can’t beleive he explained my family to you. And the fact that I have a crush on you”
I can feel the heat rising on my cheeks.
He chuckles. “That’s okay. You’re pretty. I bet, if I got to know you, for the way you act and
stuff, I’d probably like you too”
“Really?”, I ask.
He nods. “Yeah”
I smile.
“Well, knowing that you’ve had a crush on me for years, I’m guessing you know a lot about me too”, he says, shoving a hand in his pocket.
He takes a sip of his soda.
I shrug. “Kinda”
“What do you know about me?”
“You play all the same sports as Derek. Basketball, Track and Field, and Swimming. You’re good looking. Honors and AP classes. Funny, talented, smart, tall, muscular, good at realistic art, very popular-”
“Alright, alright. I get it”, he nods.
I smile.
“So you only know my school life”, he says.
I nod, losing my smile. He runs a hand through his hair and puts his soda down to get a plate. 
“I have two sisters and one brother. My sister Braelyn is in her second year of college. She’s turning 20 next week. My other sister Carenza is 9. My brother Colton is 12. My dad was in the navy. He died at war when I was in 8th grade, on my 13th birthday. My mom is veterinarian. Bryn and I, Braelyn...sorry her nickname is Bryn...anyway...Braelyn and I help take care of Colton and Carenza. And ya…”, he says, putting a burger on his plate.
I look at the expression in his eyes. He’s depressed and he’s trying to hide it. He looks at me.
“Don’t worry I’m fine,”, he hands me a plate. “Food?”
I smile a little. “Thanks”
He nods. We pile food on our plates then sit on the couch.
“So we have art, Honors science….and….”
“AP English”, I remind him.
He nods. “You’re really good in art. I’ve seen your work”
I blush and can’t help but smile. “So are you”
He looks at me then. Smiles. I like his smile. We talk a lot more throughout the night. Turns out we have a lot in common. He likes Archery too, and hockey. We both speak Latin. Except I speak fluently and he can’t. Then there’s so much more.
“Do you mind if I ask how your mom died?”, he asks.
I look away from his eyes. “My dad murdered her. Xavier and I watched from the staircase. Then I called 911. It’s hard to sleep at night”
“Oh my God, that’s horrible. I’m sorry”
I gulp down the last few drops of my soda and shrug….trying not to cry. Then I pop my knuckles.
“I also know that you pop your knuckles when you’re about to cry”, Sawyer says quietly. 
I look at him. He scoots closer to me and puts his arms around me. I let my hair fall in front of my face and rest my forehead on his collarbone.
“I know how you feel Carter, trust me”, he whispers into my hair.
I take a deep breath and close my eyes. Then Sawyer whispers in my ear.
“Will you go to homecoming with me?”
I look up at him. He smiles. I smile as he wipes my tears.
“Yes”, I say.
He smiles more. “Great”

*  *  *

Derek drove me home early so I could be home by 10 for Xavier like I promised. Sawyer kissed me on the cheek before we left. I’ve never had a boyfriend before: if Sawyer and I ended up dating, he’d be my first.
Chapter 3

When I come home, I go straight to my room to take off my shoes, and put down my purse. Then I go down the hall to Xavier’s room. He’s in bed; fast asleep. I hear the rocking chair in the corner, starting to rock.
“I thought you were going to wait for me, before you sang to him”, I say.
“I couldn’t wait. He was so tired after I’d helped him with homework”, she responds.
I turn to face her, leaning on the doorframe. I can see through her. Literally. Her ghostly figure shimmers. Her hair is down with a small bow to hold her bangs back. She wears her longsleeved white lace dress. I’ve missed her.
“I thought Jennifer was going to help him”, I say.
“She had a rough day at work, and when she came home, she went straight to bed”, she replies.
I nod once and look back at Xavier.
“Carter honey, look at me. Look at your mother, dear”, she says sweetly.
I obey.
“You’re taking such good care of him. And I’m so glad you’re getting along with Ingrid, Richard, and Jennifer. I know it’s hard”
I nod. “We miss you, mom”
“I know sweetheart. I wish I could hug you”
“They’re so uptight”
“They’ve always been that way. Especially Ingrid. But cut them some slack, they did take you in. Your cousin Jennifer might not be all that everyday, but she does care. And Uncle Richard-”
“I get it mom”
She closes her mouth. I shake my head.
“You’ve turned out to be so beautiful, my dear”, she says.
“Thanks mom”
She nods. “Now Carter, before I go, I must warn you. Danger is coming”
“What do you mean?”
“I’ll explain later. Just stay away from silver for right now, okay?”
I nod.
She smiles. “Good girl. Goodnight Carter”
Then she vanishes.
“Bye mom”, I whisper. 
Chapter 4
A few days later…
It’s Friday morning. My car just got out of the shop yesterday. I’m driving Xavier to school. I let him sit up front today.  pull up to the drop off section in front of the school. He unbuckles, then looks at me. I smile and nod. He nods back. Then he opens the door.
“Bye Carter”, he says.
“I’ll pick you up after school, okay?”
“Okay”
“Bye Xavier”
Then he closes the door.

*  *  * 

“Okay class. I want you to do a realistic drawing for your warm-up. Make it a drawing of someone you haven’t seen in awhile. Someone you dearly miss. Then sign your name at the bottom and stick them to the white board with a magnet. Go”, says Md.Dyer, our art teacher.
I start with her eyes. Then nose. Eyebrows, next lips, then eyelashes. Cheekbones and jawline. Shading of forehead and outline of face. Neck, then hair. Bangs pulled back with a small bow. I draw her shoulders and collarbones, and the top of her lace dress. Perfect portrait I’ve done of her. 
“Mom”, I whisper.
I sign the bottom then put it up on the board. When I’m on my way back to seat, Sawyer get’s up. He smiles and nods at me. More and more students begin to finish and put their pencil drawings on the board. When everyone finishes, Ms.Dyer addresses the class.
“We’re getting new seats today. I will let you choose your table partner. Please choose wisely carefully”, she orders.
Sawyer and I look at each other. We nod at each other at the same time and smile. We sit at the table in the middle of the front row. We smile at each other.
“Hi table partner”, I say.
“How’s it goin’? Table partner”, he says.
I giggle. “Great”
He nods. “Good”
Ms.Dyer copies down the new seating chart.
“Great. Now, I’d like you to come up, get your partner’s drawing from the board, then sit back down. You will look at the details of the drawing then share drawings could improve. Once that’s done. Trade drawings and sit tight, waiting for the next instruction. Go”, she orders.
We follow her orders. I look at the drawings and look for Sawyer’s signature. Then I find
it. I grab it and sit down. He sits down a few seconds later. I take in all the details. It’s aman. He wears a navy uniform. He’s not smiling. In his 30’s maybe. Very serious looking. Perfectly shaved facial hair. Lot’s of medals on his uniform. Sawyer and I look at each other.
“Your mother?”, he asks.
I nod. “your father?”, I ask.
He nods.
“Let’s talk about mine first”, I say.
“Okay. It has no flaws. Great line and shading combinations. I like how you made her look shimmery. Like a ghost. The way you drew her hair is perfect. The lips are perfectly curved into a genuine smile and her eyes show real expression. Like freedom. Happiness. The way you’ve shown the curves of her facial features and neck and shoulders are flawless. And good detail on the outfit. Nice bow. It’s a perfect portrait of mother. She looks like you. It’s so real”, he explains.
I nod. “thank you”
He nods.
“Your’s is good too. The shading of the uniform and medals is great. The facial hair expression is great. I like how you showed where he shaves and the lines in his face is perfect. You could’ve added the light that shines on the medals though. Other than that, flawless, It’s great”, I tell him.
“Thank you”, he says.
I nod.

*  *  *

Turns out, Sawyer and I also have the same lunch. Derek sits down with us.
“Sawyer, you better take good care of Carter. She’s like a sister to me”, he says.
Sawyer nods. “I will”
Then Derek looks at me. “Take good care of Sawyer. He’s our MVP in Track and Field. He’s like a brother to me”
“I will”, I tell him.
Derek looks at Sawyer. Then back at me. He shakes his head smiling; taking a spoonful of his soup. He only has cold lunch. He doesn’t like the school food.
“You guys are a perfect couple”, he says.
“Even though we’re not dating...we have you th thank”, Sawyer says.
Derek shrugs. “I know, he has a mouthful of soup.
He swallows his soup and wipes his chin.
“You guys be a couple though”, Derek adds.
I blush, looking at Sawyer. Sawyer looks at me smiling.
He puts his arm around me. “Carter, would you like to be my girlfriend?”
I smile more. “Of course”
He nods. “Great”

*  *  *

After lunch, Sawyer and I walk to Honors Science together. We get assigned seats and Sawyer and I are lab partners. Mr.Marion, our teacher, has us take notes on how to properly summarize. Today is one of those days when I wish I wearing warmer clothes. I’m wearing my peach colored lace dress with sleeves. It stops at my knees and has a ribbon that ties into a bow in the back. The ribbon black. I’m wearing white tights and my tall brown uggs. I left my coat locker. I start shivering.
“Carter,”, I look at Sawyer. “Your teeth are chattering”, he finishes.
I nod. He takes of his letterman jacket and puts it around my shoulders. Then gently takes my hair out from underneath it and puts on one shoulder. I pull my arms through it.
“Thank you”, I say.
He nods and scoots his chair closer to mine, putting his arm around me and kisses the top of my head. I lean my head on his shoulder.
“You look nice today”, he whispers.
I look up at him. He smiles. “Thanks”, I smile.
“Mr.Grant and Miss Faye,”, Sawyer and I look at Mr. Marion. “Please focus more on your notes instead of each other”, he continues.
“Yes sir”, says Sawyer.
When Marion turns his back to us, Sawyer nudges my chin with his pointer finger and gets me to look at him. Then he kisses my pink glossed lips. I kiss him back. When he pulls away, I can’t help but giggle a little. He smiles. We’re both blushing a little.

*  *  *

Sawyer walks me to chori after Science. We stop at the door and look at each other. He puts his hands at my hips and I put one hand at his neck while the other holds my books.
“Do you want your coat back?”, I ask.
He shakes his head. “You need it more than I do”
“Okay”
He brings me closer to him. Then kisses me hungrily on the lips. When he pulls me away, he fixes his backpack strap.
“Go, you don’t want to be late. I’ll meet you at your locker after class”, he says.
“Okay”, I say. 

*  *  *

I walk out the door when the bell rings to find Sawyer there. He smiles.
“I thought you-”
“I don’t have a third period class anymore. Apparently I have all my math credits already”, he says.
I nod.
“How long were you standing out here?”, I ask.
“Well, after a while, I got tired of standing so I sat instead. But the whole period”, he answers.
I nod slowly.
“You guys sound good. And I love your solo. It’s gorgeous”, he adds.
I blush. He links arms with me and we go to my locker to trade my books for my AP English things. I trade out Sawyer’s coat for mine, handing it back to him. He slides his arms around my waist, standing behind me. We look in the mirror that my friend Ashley insisted we have in our locker. I’m not wearing eye shadow or eyeliner. Just mascara. Half my hair is pulled back with a black bow. The rest is down. I didn’t straighten it or anything. It’s all natural. Sawyer kisses my neck and I close my eyes.
“I love you”, he whispers on my neck.
I take a deep breath. “Te quoqe amo”
That means  “I love you too” in Latin.
“Scio”, Sawyer responds.
Which means “I know”, in Latin.
I open my eyes. “Good”, I say.
I close my locker door; then turn in his arms. I kiss him hungrily. He kisses me back. Then I pull away slowly.
“We should get to class”, I say.
He nods. We start walking to class. He keeps one arm around me. I sit in front of him in AP English. 

*  *  *

After English, we go our separate ways again. He has PE and I have AP History. After that, he has Honors History and I have Health. Then school’s out. He finds me at my locker while I put my homework and choir and art things into my backpack. He kisses me and we exchange phone numbers. Then I close my locker, take my phone and car keys out of  my
backpack and leave school grounds. It’s time to go home.
Chapter 5

When I came in through the front door, I hear Jennifer playing her cello. Jennifer isn’t usually home at this time. After her classes in college, she goes to work at Walmart. She’s going to college to major in music and minor in History. She wants to e a symphony instructor. She got a full ride scholarship with her cello. She’s 23. It’s her last year in college. She’ll be done in February.
I put my bag down on my bed and put my phone and keys in my coat pocket. Then I go down the hall to Jennifer’s room. I lean in the doorway. 
“You play beautifully”, I say.
She looks at me and stops playing. She smiles.
“Thank you, Carter”, she says.
I nod a sit down on her bed.
“I thought you were going to be at work”, I tell her.
“I got fired yesterday. They said I wasn’t aloud to play my cello music on the stereos. Don’t tell mom and dad”, she explains.
“I won’t. That’s stupid though. Why won’t they let you?”
She shrugs, and turns the page on her music. She starts playing again. Jennifer looks more like her mother, Aunt Ingrid. Ingrid doesn’t look much like my mom did. Her hair is sandy blonde and she has curly hair  rather than it being wavy. They do have the same eyes though. Jennifer has sandy blonde hair, but it’s wavy like her father’s. Her eyes are hazel like Uncle Richard’s. Her skin tone is the same as Ingrid’s; and she’s skinny and tall. She hardly ever wears makeup. No freckles.
Today she has gold eyeshadow with thick black eyeliner and mascara. Her lips have pale pink lipstick. Her hair is curled and her bangs are into her right eye lashes. She’s wearing a black flannel button-up shirt and light blue skinny jeans with holes in them she’s wearing dark brown  combat  boots. She’s beaut recognize the song she’s playing. It’s  “Writing On the Wall” by Sam Smith. She let’;s the last note ring.
“Can you teach me to play?”, I ask.
She looks at me and smiles.
“Me old cello is in my closet. Your first lesson is Monday when you get home from school”, she says.
I get up and hug her. I open her closet and pull out the black cello case.
“Careful, it’s heavy”, she warns me.
I take it all the way out and close her closet door. I look at her and smile.
“Thank you, Jennifer”, I say.
She nods. “Keep it in you room for now”
I do as she says and take it to my room. Jennifer starts playing again. It’s a different song though. It’s 3:20. Xavier get’s out in 10 minutes. It’s time to go.

*  *  *

I get there just in time. I pull up to the pick-up line in back of the school. Xavier get’s in and buckles up. I pull away from the curb and begin the drive home.
“How was school?”, I ask.
“Good”, he says.
“Good”, I say.
“What about you? Anything fun?”, he asks.
I smile. “I had my first kiss today”
“With who?”
“My boyfriend. Sawyer Grant”
“Sawyer’s your boyfriend?!”
I laugh.
“Invite him for dinner”, Xavier says.
“I have to ask Aunt Ingrid first”
“Okay. And while you’re at it, invite Derek too. I want to show him my new basketball cards”
“Okay”
Chapter 6

“Hey Aunt Ingrid?”, I question.
Ingrid looks up from her computer. “Yes, dear?”
“Can Derek join us for dinner?”
“Why, of course! Derek is always welcome”
“What about my boyfriend?”
“Who is your boyfriend?”
“Sawyer Grant”
She smiles. “Of course. Sawyer can come too”
“Thank you”, I kiss her forehead.
She giggles. I run upstairs to my room and call Sawyer first. It rings three times; then he picks up.
“Hello?”, he questions.
“Hey, boyfriend”, I say.
I can hear a smile in his voice, “Carter, my dear girlfriend”
I giggle.
“Would you like to join us for dinner?”, I ask.
“Sounds great”, he answers.
“Cool. Derek might come too”
“I can’t wait”
“I’ll text you my address”
“Okay, see you soon"
“Bye, Sawyer”
“Bye, Carter”
Then I hang up. Next I dial Derek’s number. It rings 6 times. Then he picks up.
“Yo, What’s up, Carter?”, he says.
“Do you want to join us for dinner? Xavier really wants to show you his basketball cards”
“What about Sawyer?”
“He’ll be here too”
“You sure that’s okay?”
“Yeah. Why wouldn’t it be?”
He sighs. “Well...never mind. I’m on my way”
“Okay cool. Bye, Derek”
“Bye, Carter”
Then he hangs up.
*  *  * 

There’s a knock at the door. Ingrid, Richard, Xavier, and Jennifer are sitting on the couch, playing Go-Fish. I get up and answer the door. Sawyer smiles at me. I throw my arms around his neck and he puts his arms around my waist. We kiss. Then he comes all the way in and I close the door behind him. I help him take off his letterman jacket and hang it on the coat rack. I lead him to the living room to introduce him.
“Everyone, this is Sawyer. Sawyer, this is my Uncle Richard, my Aunt Ingrid, cousin Jennifer, and my younger brother Xavier”, I announce, pointing one by one.
“Hi everyone”, Sawyer shakes hands with everyone, then sits next to me on the couch.
“It’s so nice to finally meet you. We’ve heard so much about you”, my Aunt Ingrid says.
He chuckles. “It’s great to meet you too. I’ve heard so much about all of you, it’s great to be having dinner with you”, he replies.
“So how long have you two been dating?”, Jennifer asks.
Sawyer puts his arm around me. “Since today”, I say.
He nods. Then Derek walks in the door and hangs his letterman jacket.
Xavier runs up to him. “Derek!”
“Hey little man!”, Derek hugs him, then they do their little handshake.
“Dude, Derek. Don’t you knock?”
Derek opens the door and closes the door behind him. He drums on the door and Xavier open the door.
“I didn’t mean drum”, Sawyer says.
Derek shrugs and sits in the rocking chair, pulling Xavier into his lap.
“Derek practically lives here”, Jennifer says.
“That explains a lot”, Sawyer says.
Everyone laughs. The timer on the oven goes off. Ingrid gets up.
“Dinner’s ready!”, she announces.
We all go into the dining room and have a seat. Richard sits on one end. Ingrid to his left. Then Jennifer to her left, Xavier to her left, then Derek to his, me to Derek’s, and Sawyer to mine. Tonight’s meal is baked potatoes, steak, asparagus, and sweet potato casserole with buttered bread on the side. We all pass the food around and dig in.
As all conversations started, I looked into the reflection in my spoon. I saw myself. But then my reflection vanished and I saw a woman. I jumped and looked around to see if anyone else was seeing what I saw. No one saw but me. But I caught Xavier’s stare. I knew that he saw it too.
“Ingrid?”
“Yes dear?”, Aunt Ingrid looked at me then.
“ Are the silverware pure silver?”, I asked.
“Well of course, they’re always pure silver when we have guests over. Why?”
I feel the color vanish from my face.
“No reason…”, I let my voice trail off.
I look back down at the spoon. My reflection shines in the silver.
“Derek’s allergic to the silver”, I hear Xavier.
I look at Xavier.
“I-”, I kick Derek so he shuts up.
“Oh okay”, Ingrid and I stand up and exchange the silverware for plastic silverware.
I take a deep breath and let it out slowly. That was close.
Chapter 7

I stand in Xavier’s doorway and watch Xavier sleep. Sawyer stands next to me and puts his arms around me.
“Do you wanna tell me what happened tonight with the silverware?”, he asks.
I shake my head. “Now’s not the time. I’ll tell you sooner or later,” I look at him then. “I promise”
He nods. “Okay. Well I gotta go, I promised my mom she could help me with my college application”, he kisses my cheek.
“Love you”, I whisper.
He kisses my lips. “I love you too”, he whispers.
Then he lets go and heads down the stairs. I sit next to Xavier as his eyes open.
“Mom told you?”, he whispers.
I shake my head. “All she said was to stay away from silver”, I whisper in response.
I stroke his hair. The in the corner, the chair begins to rock and mom’s shimmering ghost appears, sitting in the chair.
“Mommy”, Xavier smiles.
“Good job tonight, my children”, she says.
“I saw-”
“I know what you saw, Carter”, mother interrupts.
“Who is she?”, I ask.
“The Silver Lady is what her people call her. She is pure evil. Zoe Dahrt is her true name. She calls on shape shifters. She will hurt you two. But you have to fight back. I’m warning you Carter. Guard your family. Take care of Derek and Sawyer, dear. Be aware of what is around you. Pay attention to details. The more you are around silver, the more she will appear, and the more danger you will be in. Be careful you two”, she explains.
“But how do we fi-”
“I must go now, I’ll be back tomorrow night. Goodnight you two, take care of each other”, mom interrupts Xavier.
Then she vanishes from the chair.
“Bye mom”, Xavier and I say.
I look at Xavier and stand up.
“Get some rest Xavier, there’s no silver in here, you’ll be okay, yell for me if you need me, I’m right across the hall”, I kiss the top of his head.
“Can you sleep in here tonight?”, he asks.
I sigh. Then I give in and climb under the covers next to him.
“Goodnight, Xavier”
Chapter 8

The next morning, I hear my alarm go off in my room. I jump out of Xavier’s bed and run across the hall to my room and turn it off. I walk to my walk-in closet and choose an outfit for work. I teach Archery to kids ages 6-12 at Archery World. It’s a couple blocks away from here; I only work on the weekends. I’ve been working there since 9th grade when I was 14, right before my 15th birthday. I choose my black and blue polo shirt with our logo of a bow and arrow and the name, with my first name below it. Then I pull out my soft black leather skinny jeans. I pick up my brown combat boots and some white crew socks and head into my bathroom.
I quickly get dressed then plug in my hair straightener. I brush my hair then start straightening my hair. I pull it up into a high ponytail. I unplug the straightener and open my makeup bag. I do my eyes first. Dark brown eyeshadow and thick black eyeliner. Bold mascara and curled lashes. Then I put on a light foundation over my whole face. I take my darker foundation and lightly brush it over my cheekbones and sides of my face next to my ears. I put on a little lip gloss, then put my makeup bag away and pick up yesterday’s clothes. I turn off the light and throw my clothes into the hamper. Then I pick out my earrings. The small diamond studs. I grabbed my keys and phone and leave for work

*  *  *

When I get to work, I go straight to my locker in the backroom. I pull on my finger and wrist pads, they’re kinda like gloves but they only cover your two middle fingers. Then I put on my forearm padding and throw my quiver over my head and pick up my bow. I put my phone and keys in my pocket, then head out to the field and look for my coworker and our students.
Then I find them.
“Carter!”, our students say.
I smile. “Hey guys”
Rae glares at me. “You’re late, Faye”
“I’m sorry, I got here as quick as I could, Xavier-”
He holds hand up, stopping me.
“You don’t care”, I say.
He puts down his hand and shakes his head. “No I do not”
I nod my head and stand next to him in front of our students, who our cross legged in the grass, with their bows and quivers on the ground in front of them. Rae taught them that. It shows respect. Rae is very tall and muscular. He and I are very competitive with each other at Archery
competitions, we always tie or don’t talk to each other for a month if one of us beats the other. His skin tone is considered black but I don’t like saying that because it’s kinda rude, so I compare it to dark chocolate. He always shaves his head. He’s 23. His eyes are blue. He’s always very serious.
“Today we will begin shooting at a target that already has an arrow on the bull’s eye. We’re teaching you to split an arrow”, Rae says.
The students gasp. Rae raises his hands with his bow in one hand. The Students stand. He motions them to follow. We lead them to the targets. Rae shoots an arrow on the bull’s eye on each of the 11 targets. Then he looks at the students who now have their quivers on and bows in hand. Our class is all 9 year olds. Rae looks at me, and nods once.
            I sheath an arrow and aim at the middle target. I take a deep breath and release. The arrow I shot splits the arrow on the bull’s eye head on. As I lower my bow, relaxing, our students clap for me. Rae shoots an arrow and splits the one I just shot. I look at him. He lowers his bow, his muscles relaxing.
“If I shoot one of my arrows at your target, splitting the arrow you just shot, that means I give you permission to remove the other ones and replace the one in the bull’s eye”, he says.
Then he looks at me and nods. I run to the target and do just as he said. 
“Pick a target”, he says.
The students run to their targets and begin their first try at splitting an arrow. Most of them miss entirely, others, miss by just a little bit. Rae and I walk down the line, him on one end, I on the other; one by one, we make little corrections in their holding positions. There’s only 10 kids in our class, no one chose the middle target, we always use that one for demonstrations. Rae and I meet at the middle. Standing two feet away from each other. Just standing there glaring at each other for a moment. Then we keep walking down the line, bumping shoulders as we pass. We don’t hate each other; we’re just competitive. No, we hate each other.
Chapter 9

After my four-hour shift, with my regular 4 classes per day, I go back to my locker and start putting my stuff away. When I get to my locker, I find a note taped to it. I carefully take it down, and read it.

Dear Carter,

Prom is coming up in just a few more months. Can you believe it?!  Will you be my date to the dance?

Yes? Or no?

“Well?”, I’d recognize that voice anywhere. I turn around, smiling at Sawyer. He smiles back at me and slowly walks towards me. “‘Yes? Or no?’”, he quotes from his note.
Then he pulls a dark red rose from behind his back. I giggle. I can feel my face getting red.
I throw my bow down and wrap my arms around his neck. “Yes”, I say.
He smiles and gently kiss my lips.
“Great”, he whispers on my lips.
I giggle then kiss him back. I pull away and turn around to pick up my bow. Then I stick the note to the inside of my locker. I place my bow in the locker and pull my quiver over my head, then put it down and pull of my pads and close the locker. I turn back around and Sawyer gives me the rose.
I smell it. “Mmmm. It smells good”
“I know right?”, he says.
I pull my phone and keys out of my pocket as my phone begins to ring. I answer it as soon as  recognize Xavier’s name on the caller ID.
“Xavier?”, I lose my smile.
“When are you coming home?”, he whispers hurriedly into the phone.
“I’ll be on my way in a minute. Why are you whispering?”, I answer.
“Just hurry. And don’t come in through the front door. Go in through the small hideaway under the deck”, he whispers.
“Why?”
“She’s here”
I look at Sawyer. “Hang in there, I’m on my way, okay? Try to stay hidden and stay away from the silver”
“Hurry, Carter, please”, he pleads quietly.
I quickly hang up and shove my phone in my pocket. Then I open back up my locker and grab my Archery gear. Then I slam the locker door shut.
“Carter, what’s wrong?”, Sawyer grabs my shoulders as I turn around.
“I have to go save Xavier. Stay home, save yourself”, I break out of his grip then he grabs my wrist as I turn.
“Sawyer-”
“Tell me what’s going on first”, he says.
I sigh. “I’m sorry, You’d be safer if you didn’t know. Don’t bother asking Derek because even he doesn’t know. And please don’t tell him about this,” I kiss his cheek. “I love you”
Then I run for my car.

*  *  *

I park down the street from my house and run to the house. I go under the deck and go in through the secret hideaway that Xavier and I made with my mom before she died. Let’s just say my dad was always mad. I quietly open the door and close it behind me. I grab two of the smaller guns and non silver bullets, strapping them to my legs. Then I grab the non silver knives and strap them to my arms and thighs, and put one in each boot. It’s a good thing nothing in this room is silver. I quickly sheath an arrow and get ready to shoot at whatever pops up. I go through another door and I’m in the living room. I find Jennifer, Ingrid, and Richard, laying dead on the floor, with their blood staining the carpet. I hear something behind me and turn to find Xavier. I quickly put lower the bow. I grab his wrist and take him through the house. I shoot an arrow at what I think was a shapeshifter that was changing into something. It vanishes. I take Xavier to the hideout under the deck and quickly run with him to the car.
“Get in!”, I yell at him.
He buckles up and I drive as quickly as I can to Sawyer’s house. The one who answers the door is Derek. He yanks us inside. Sawyer jumps up from the couch and takes me into his arms.
Then he lets go. “We have been worried sick about you two!”, Derek raises his voice.
Sawyer turns on the TV and the first thing that comes on is an investigation on the news. It’s an investigation on our house. Body bags and an ambulance or two, cop cars. They go through our secret hideout. Then Sawyer mutes it.
“Would you like to explain this?!”, Derek shouts.
Derek’s mom and Sawyer’s mom come into the room then.
“Derek. I’m not the one that killed them”, I’m crying now, and so is Xavier.
Derek’s mom hugs Xavier.
“What if you’re just like your dad and I’ve been best friends with a murderer all this time!”, Derek snaps. “I can’t believe you just said that”, I say quietly.
Derek opens his mouth, about to say something.
“It wasn’t her!”, Xavier yells.
“Then who was it?”, asks Derek, angrily.
“We can’t tell you”, I say.
“Why not?”, He asks.
“Because only I can”, mom’s shimmering ghost stands from the recliner in the corner.
Everyone gasps except for Xavier and I. I look down at my feet.
“If you don’t get them out of state in the next 24-hours, they will be back”, my mom says.
“Lacey?”, Derek’s mom (Jocelyn) says quietly. 
“Who will be back?”, asks Sawyer.
“Zoe and her shapeshifters. The Silver Lady is what most call her. She is  an evil ghost who only shows in pure silver. She has a group of murderous shapeshifters. The more you’re all around silver, the more Zoe Dahrt will show, and the more danger you will be in. Avoid anything silver. You must leave the state, change your names, get new lives. Don’t worry, I’ll find you. I will do everything I can do to keep you from harm, but I can only hold her back for so long. She’s coming”
“Why are they after us?”, I ask.
“Her daughter use to be best friends with your great grandmother. But then your great grandma accidently bumped into her when they were working together, experimenting on a volcano and her daughter fell in. Grandma couldn’t do anything to save her. Zoe’s been haunting our family ever since. That’s why we moved so much, growing up. The only one who knows this is Jocelyn. Everyone else who knew was family, and they’re all dead”, mother explains.
“That’s why we kept moving with them”, Derek said quietly.
Jocelyn nodded and rubbed Xavier’s back.
“You’ve all kept this huge secret because you didn’t want to put anyone else in danger”, Sawyer says.
I look at him.
He puts his arms around me. “Don’t worry, you’re safe with us. I promise”, he strokes my hair.
“Wait, what was wrong with Valek? was he really mad? Or-”
Mother cut off Derek in the middle of his sentence. “My husband, Valek Faye, was very sweet. He wasn’t a mad man. He was possessed by Zoe. He isn’t anymore. Zoe made him hang himself in jail. He’s dead now”
Derek nods and looks at me.
“We’ll leave tomorrow morning. You can all sleep here tonight”, says Sawyer’s mom, (Kacey).
The clock strikes noon.
“I have to go now. I’ll talk to you later. Goodbye”, mother’s ghost shimmers and vanishes.
“Bye mom”, Xavier and I say at once.
Chapter 9

Sawyer is having me sleep in his bed while he sleeps on the floor. Jocelyn is sleeping in the guest bedroom with Xavier. Kacey is sleeping in her own room like usual. All of a sudden, I hear Xavier scream. I grab the gun from the holster strapped to my leg and run down the hall to the guest bedroom. I can hear Sawyer following behind me. I see Jocelyn laying on the floor dead. Xavier is sitting up in bed pointing a gun at Kacey.
“Mother! what are you doing?!”, Sawyer yells, standing next to me.
I’m already aiming the gun at her steadily. Xavier’s hands are a little shaky because he’s crying. Derek runs in, he stands behind me, staring at his mom on the ground.
“Zoe Dahrt, is your great grandmother”, Kacey tells him.
  Sawyer shakes his head in disbelief. Kacey is holding a crossbow in her hand. I pull the trigger, killing her. Then I put the gun back in it’s holster and quickly take Xavier in my arms, he puts the gun in the holster strapped to his leg. Derek wipes his eyes and gets his stuff. Sawyer takes the crossbow from his mother’s hands and throws the quiver over his shoulder. We all grab our things and run to the horse stables a few miles from Sawyer’s house. Sawyer and I share a horse while Derek has Xavier sitting in front of him on their horse. Then we ride as far and as long as we can, with all our weapons and money we could find.
After a while, we find an abandoned home not to far from the  California border and take the horses inside the house so no one knows we’re here. We all take turns using the bathroom. I wash the make up from my face and the dirt from my hands. We all put down our weapons and look for food throughout the house to feed us, and the horses. When we soon go to bed, and it’s mine and Sawyer’s turn to take watch of the house for a couple hours. Sawyer and I whisper for a little while.
“I’m sorry I had to kill your mom, I know how close you two were”, I whisper to him.
“It’s okay. I’m sorry I didn’t know I was related to Zoe. I promise I’m on your side, I would never lie to you”, he responds quietly.
“I know, it’s okay”, I tell him quietly.
“How does your mom know all this information about our families?”, he asks.
I look at him then. “Honestly, I don’t know. But she always he been pretty careful about our father, and us before she died, like she knew something bad was going to happen, maybe her mother told her”
“Have you ever met your grandparents?”, he asks.
I shake my head. “Have you?”
He shakes his head. I nod then go back to keeping watch. We’re both silent for the rest of our watch.

This is an unfinished novel.