Play Day | Teen Ink

Play Day

“Samanta! Come on,  Ashley is waiting for you for your play date honey,” yelled my Mom. “Mom, I don’t want to go, Ashley scares me” I told my Mom. She laughed, but it was true that Ashley scared me. “Honey, that because you don’t know her,” Mom said with a sweet voice. The way for Ash’s house was long but for me it was an agony.
“You have everything you need in your backpack. I love you sweetheart!” Mom said before she kissed me. I wanted to tell her that I felt sick so she would drive back home and make me some chicken soup but I didn’t. “See you mom, I love you!” I hugged her as if something inside me was telling me that would be the last time I would see her. I walked in front of the door. I should have taken some steps back and walked home but I didn’t. Instead I ringed the bell the door opened. “Good Morning Mrs. Finch,” I said. “Come in Samanta, Ashley is waiting for you in her bedroom upstairs,” Mrs. Finch took my backpack and showed me Ashley’s room. “Little princess, Samanta’s here.” Mrs. Finch let my backpack in one chair in Ashley’s room. Ashley was there with a big  pink dress with a big smile on her face like the cheshire cat, so creepy no one could imagine. Everything was normal, so normal that for a moment I thought that she wasn’t scary at all. What I was thinking?
Ash’s mom went for some groceries, and in minutes we were completely alone. “Now we can start a real game!” Ash said, slowly smiling again. “We will play hide and seek, but whoever loses will be punished!” I just nodded, swallowing my fear. “You will hide first!” she said. She started counting and I hid the best that I could. “Ready or not I will find you!” She yelled. I could hear her steps going, with such calm to the first floor, I could hear as kitchen cabinets opened. She was getting closer for how well I could hear her steps, but then I couldn’t hear them any more. “Samanta, where are you?” She asked but at the same time I could hear something more against the wall “There you are!”  Ash said. But I saw something different when she opened the bathroom closet. “You lose!” Ash stated. I ran as fast as I could but I didn’t know how she was in front of the door waiting for me. At least I said to my mom I love you for the last time. But I would have preferred to have never come inside this house!  Everything became darker and screams of pain could be heard from far away.
I could hear Mom crying. At least my family had each other to move on from this moment.
Thirteen years later, I could understand better what happened that day. Ashley killed 22 kids; well 23; I’m the last one. Ashley’s mom hid every proof but she of my charm covered in blood hidden in the sofa. You never know a person until you meet them! And Ashley was insane.

“I think that’s it for this class. Thanks Luis for that unexpected story!” Mrs. Layla sat in her desk shaking. “Prepare for a long talk with your mom after this Luis,” Andre whispers. “I know,” I say. The bell rings, school is over. “You want to come for dinner?” I ask. “Don’t even ask!” Andre answers. Mrs. Layla will think twice before making me share in class next time.