The Girl Who Was Never Alone | Teen Ink

The Girl Who Was Never Alone

By smeehan28 BRONZE, Suffern, New York
smeehan28 BRONZE, Suffern, New York

I am not alone. When I am asleep in my bed and home alone, I’m never alone. Someone is always there, something is always there. I am awaken by someone else's breathing. Someone who isn’t me... something that isn’t me. I always stay quiet and squeeze my eyes shut, hoping... begging for whoever, whatever this is to not be there when I open my eyes. I never open them. Ever. You could give me a million and one dollars to open my eyes but they would remained glued shut. I always fall back to sleep with fear clenching my heart. I always end up falling back asleep. But I never remember it, one second I’m burying my face in my pillow, refusing to open my eyes and the next, it’s morning and my alarm is waking me up. My nights were dreamless and dark.
But I finally decided after another episode, I would fix this. And I almost did... I tried.
I was sick of getting no sleep, it just so happened to be one of my favorite pastimes and it was starting to get hard to function on three hours of restless sleep a night. I decided I would fix this. I would conquer this Thing. I set up a night camera pointed to my bed, got a remote control for my lights, put the remote under my pillow, went through my nightly routine, turned on the camera and slipped into bed.
I lay there, my eyes shut, my mind open. I thought of the world, of the people in it. I thought of the births and the deaths and the people who were breathing their last breathes at that very moment. I pondered in the meaning of life for a few minutes, of why we’re all here. We’re to live and then to die and then what? This world will come to an end one day and then... nothing at all. Should we really follow the rules? Should we really hold back what we want to say sometimes because who knows if we’ll ever get the opportunity again. What will happen when there’s no one left to carry on the Human Races legacy. What will be left?
And then it happened. It wasn’t a huge boom, or bang, or kablam but it happened. I was not alone. I must have dozed off and I was awoken by breathing. I tried to remain calm. I began to do the breathing exercises that my mother has been trying to get me to do for years, and I did it.
I turned my head to the side and my sweating palm closed around the remote. I clicked on. I let my eyelids flutter open. 
All I remember was something horrible, it was terrible. I was right. I was never alone, none of us were. None of us ever are. All of our fears are real. The things that feed them and make them come to life are true. There is something lurking in the dark. Yes, you should lock that window before you fall asleep. Yes, check under your child’s bed before you go to sleep. Never forget to tell your loved ones how much you love them because you never know if that will be the last time you see them.”

Identifying data and reason for referral from Doctor Hindley:
Patient arrived to us unstable. Was found in his room clutching a night vision camera, the lens broken, rocking back and forth. The patient's hands looked as if they had been clawing at something, fingers mangled and bloody, but nothing around the room seemed to sustained any damage. There was a silver and black substance under the patient's nails and feet, a trickle of what seemed to be the same substance from their mouth too. We took samples and sent them to the police lab to be tested. The neighbors said that they heard a scream in the middle of the night a 4 days ago, and no one left or entered the apartment in those 4 days. The door was locked from the inside, no windows or entry points had signs of forced entry. The patient keeps mumbling something along the lines of "something in the dark" and "cannot sleep, will not sleep". Would not stop repeating those phrases until I asked him what happened . He said nothing. He stopped, and there was a vacant look on this face. We  tried to talk to the patient multiple times, tried every method to bring him back to reality but nothing worked. And that was the last time we spoke to the patient.

Lab Report from Doctor Riper: The silver substance found was pure Mercury and the other black substance was inconclusive.

Police report from Officer Norris: My partner, Officer Bundy, and I arrived at the Thornwood Mental Institution for the Mentally Insane after receiving a call from the concerned staff. The patient that was report missing seemed to have disappeared into mid-air. They locked the patients’ rooms before turning off the lights because it was the designated time for lights off. Approximately 3 hours later all the cameras shut off, 4 seconds later they rebooted and the patient was gone. The door was still locked, nothing was broken, the bed was undisturbed, except he was gone. All that was left was the piece of paper above.