Fire and Smoke | Teen Ink

Fire and Smoke

By Derata PLATINUM, Corona, California
Derata PLATINUM, Corona, California

William Bell was the new manager of Silver Springs mine and refinery in Silver Springs, Washington. He had moved their because he was asked to manage it after the previous owner and manager had suffered an accident. So Will, his fifteen year old son Jacob and his Wife Carin had moved into the old managers house, which rested at the edge of the woods through which the road to the mine went. Every day Will and 200 other men walked up the forest road to the silver stream where the mine was located. Nobody drove because the was no bridge over the river which was thick with large boulders, and the walk wasn't even half a mile anyway. So there Will was walking with his assistant manager to work one day as a fine snow fell all around them.
"Hey Joe what is the Area code here Jacob needs it to fill out a school form." Said William.
"425, hey by the way how have you guys settled into that house?"
"Fine I guess, but nobody is telling me what happened to Eric (Eric was the previous manager) all of his stuff is still in the house and I am still getting letters from the police department saying they still haven't found his wife."
"Well it's not my place to tell you."
"Than who's is it Joe I can't keep throwing this guys stuff away and not even know how he died. And if this is about some problem in the refinery that you guys are trying to cover up I need to know."
"No No it's nothing like that it's  just..." And he didn't finish because they had reached the river and Joe had to jump across. They didn't speak about it any more, which drove Will to go check the archives and read the file on the accident. What he found only gave him more questions so after work he went to the city records office and read the newspaper on the story. That night he sat in front of the fire and discussed his findings with his wife.
"I did some digging into the story with Eric and you will not believe what happened. Apparently his son was messing around with some bad kids and was out drinking one night when they decided to play with a weeji board. The paper was kinda hasy on that detail but apparently he got possessed. His behavior got really bad in school and eventually Eric discovered what had happened. He arranged for an exorcism and when the priest arrived the kid ran out into the woods. Eric chased him to the refinery and found him above the melting pot. (For those of you that don't know what that is its a large pool like structure where molten silver goes after being heated, kinda like a swimming pool filled with lava.) Apparently they had some short of struggle and his son threw him in the molten metal. Then he went back to the house and shot himself. Eric's wife went crazy and nobody has seen her since their funeral."
"So does this mean the house is haunted?"
"Of course not there is no such this as ghosts, but it certainly is a scary story."
They said nothing more about the matter, but it got Will thinking, his son Jacob had been acting odd lately and all this talk of exorcisms made him nervous. He had always thought ghosts were for the people with bear bellies  and UFO hats, but now it was a little closer to home. A few days later Jacob inquired about working at the mine after school to earn some pocket money. So Will was giving his son a toor of the mine and the refinery.
"Alright Jacob now this room is the melting pot we are not going to go to close because it's really really hot and you won't be in here much so it won't matter anyway." As they went up the stairs to leave Will looked back and did a double take. He thought that he saw a hand reach out of the molten metal for a second, but it must have been his imagination. He turned to see a look of absolute terror and furry on Jacobs face. His head twitched and his eyes seemed to be growing dark. Then a voice that was not Jacobs said,
"Not this time old man I have waited to long in the past, but I will not make the same mistake again." And with force beyond any human muscle Jacob kicked his father square in the chest. Will flew over the melting pot and landed in a huff on the concrete floor. With a bestial roar Jacob jumped and landed in front of Will. He lifted him by the collar of his shirt and raised him several feet off the ground.
"Now you will die old man just like your predecessor." Then a red glowing hand made of boiling melted silver rested on Jacobs shoulder. The the hand gripped tighter and threw him into the wall. Will fell to the floor and watched as his son, who's skin was now filled with pulsing black veins and his eyes were black as the night sky, pulled himself from a dent in the wall.
His opposition was a man made of silver magma. His skin was black ash with fire bursting out through the cracks as he opened his mouth to yell fire exploded out and bathed Jacobs fiendish form. Jacob ran forward, crossing the hundred foot separation in a second and bull rushed Eric's ghost. They both flew through the wall and into the loading dock where the silver bars were kept in fleets of armored trucks. One such truck exploded when as the twos spirits crashed into it. Then Eric raised Jacob off the ground punched him in the chest. The supernatural strength in the blow sent him flying threw the aluminum gate to the loading dock and into a snow drift outside. Eric ran outside after his target and gripped him by the shirt lifting him into the air. But, Jacob didn't acquiesce so easily, instead he let out a screech like nails on a thousand chalkboards and Eric's ghost crumbled to his knees holding his ears. Then Jacob ran, covering the mile to his house in minutes. Eric's spirit was right behind him bursting through tree's and even melting a dilapidated tractor that was in his way. Eric saw his old house in the distance and realized what the demon was planing. In the place of his death the demon would be stronger ten fold just as Eric himself had been. So Eric leaped forward and tackled the demon pushing Jacobs body into the magma of his own. Jacob thrashed but couldn't get free, then his face contorted with effort as the trees began to reach towards Eric and then SNAP, SNAP, SNAP! Dozens of tree branches, rocks, and even a car flew into Eric and knocked the teenage body of Jacob right out of him. Sprinting, Jacob only had a block left to get to his house when he was struck down by a half melted car. The molten iron of the engine block burned Jacob to the bone in places, but he didn't feel the pain. The subzero temperatures of the surrounding air cooled the metal in seconds and Jacob was trapped. Eric ripped Jacob and the chunk of metal around him from the body of the car and walked down the street. He stopped in front of an large stone building with thick oak doors. A bell tower rose from one side and a cross was clearly etched in the wood of the door. Eric pealed the metal off Jacob and threw him through the doors. Jacobs body passed in un hindered, but the demon within couldn't pass through the doorway. It stood, black as obsidian and seemed to be made of smoke, a wraith with claws. The only part that wasn't black was a pair of burning red eyes. The two spirits charged one another and fought till the bitter end.
Some say they have seen these two fighting some say this never happened. Although nobody can deny the fact that Jacob mysteriously brook his spine and most of the other bones in his body, not to mention the burns. But make no mistake these two errant souls didn't pass on that day, they are still locked in an epic battle until judgement day and trumpets sound. Both unable to enter the house of God where they might find the instruments to destroy the other. Just as fire can not exist without creating smoke, smoke can not exist without the fire that fuels it, so to these two souls will never die and never find peace only strife in the fury they have for each other.

And that kids is why you NEVER EVER play with Wi Gi boards... EVER.