Barbe Bleue | Teen Ink

Barbe Bleue

By RaShaw BRONZE, Havertown, Pennsylvania
RaShaw BRONZE, Havertown, Pennsylvania

The original piece merely details a story following a linear path to that of the folklore. I however (keep in mind this is my first work) try and tell the story in an alternate perspective. As well as shiftin the time in which it takes place. Making it a bit of a prequel to that of the original folktale.

Chapter 1: Barbe Bleue

Diary of Lady Marabelle

8/Février/1473

I fear my time is scarce, I only hope that the next poor soul lost within these walls, does not share in my fate..

26/Janvier/1473

If only I'd had known, prior to such tragedy and horrors that now haunt my mind.. Perhaps events may have ended differently. For my newly betrothed has grown all but distant from my grasp. He is a busy man, I know this, but that does not weaver the yearning I hold for his presence.
Was it something I had done, or perhaps I've spoken out of line.
These troublesome thoughts must not cloud my mind. I must remain focused on pleasing, for his anger does boil. Yet simmers as quickly as it arises. He must not be well in the head, though I dare not say a word. Oh how I hope for its passing, for the return of the man I have grown to love and marry.

17/Décember/1472

Oh such joyous days, dearest diary a married woman I have become! A wife to an aristocratic man, Sir Cassius, a man who has promised me all I could ever wish for. I feel as though my heart may flutter out of my chest. Never have I felt this way before.
Of all the women he could have chosen, to think I would be the one blessed with the simple, yet powerful, question.
Oh and his kind heart, so pleasant and sweet, a gentleman through and through. I see past his rather atrocious features, whose central focus is honed in upon the hair of his face, tinted blue as the depths of the sea.
Sir Cassius has given me so much happiness, a better life, far away from that filthy farm out in the country. A pretty little wife I shall be, oh but I could never repay the man for all he has given..

8/Janvier/1473

The long yet shortened days seem to dance along, moving to the rhythm of the falling snow. Though a last, my companion seems to have changed. Wandering along a path in which I know him not.. Though I hold close to my heart, that this is just simply aura altered, do to the shifting season. Many grow a strange in the grayest junction of the year.

31/Janvier/1473

He frightens me now, with words and actions not accustomed to his nature. His leaves now stretch nearly double as before..leaving me utterly secluded in this lonesome and ominous castle.
Though strangest of all his behaviors, is what he provides before his journeys.. A set of keys.
Perhaps in his turmoil of changes, a strong bond forged with trust has been created. With permission to enter all doors sheltered within the fortress's walls, one should feel great pride. However, I am also informed to never, lay foot in the cellar. With that my discomfort arises, aided with the suspicion of what may be so secretive; that even one partnered in the house of God, may not lay eyes upon..
Well then, I have had enough of his selfish actions, I will venture down there and discover this root of such arcane thoughts

6/Février/1473

Curse my blind mind, so oblivious of what was around me. Cassius being such a secretive man, I bet his little excursions are to meet with some filthy harlot. Perhaps his cellar is full of letters and gifts sent from his mistresses. That would explain his suspicious behavior; and his constant leave of absences...

Arriving at the cellar door Marabelle's mind raced with possible reasons for so much secrecy. Her curiosity and utter concern for her husband's possibly furtive habits clawed at her from within. Grasping the bronze iron keys tightly, gathering up the strength to venture past the doorway into the unknown. Moving slowly, cautiously, in attempts to make as little as possible, Marabelle raises the corresponding key up towards it's darkened enclosure. The rusted metal grinds against one another, the aged lock creaks and groans as it's forced to release its hold upon the doorframe.
The hinges of the large wooden door squealed, as Marabelle gently pushes it aside
in order to step into nearly complete darkness.
A quiet sound could be heard echoing in the room, one that resembled that of a drain leaking of water. Besides that though, resided the presence of utter silence, adding to the grim atmosphere this chamber held. Marabelle felt along the walls, squinting, desperately trying to see in such an ill-illuminated area; she had brought with her some flint and steel, however no torches or lanterns seemed to be around.
As her hands glide across the cold, damp stone walls, something wet runs over her palm. Pulling back rather quickly Marabelle tries to remove the foreign liquid, when she realizes it's texture. Thick like churned milk, with the scent of copper or iron..strange..
At that moment the lunar rays seem to illuminate the room and her curiously. Only to spark flames of horrors bred in hell.

Hanging from the ceiling and lining the walls, hung dozens of naked young women. Impaled upon iron hooks or suspended with chains. Wounds left unattended, some more recent than others, as their blood still trickled from the lifeless corpses.
Marabelle lets out a utterly terrified screech, stumbling backwards, falling down on top of the blood pooled floor.
As she turns to escape this nightmarish scene, there, stands the root of this accursed room.
Standing tall, cobalt beard blatantly identifiable, with a face seemingly emotionless as to what lies before him. Sir Cassius stands in the doorway, standing in the only exit this room provides. Marabelle was about to scream once more, in hopes that one of the servants or staff members would hear her cries of agony. But a hand was raisen, cutting her off before her howls could be let loose.

"You truly were the stupidest of my wives..so oblivious, so passionate and desperate for things to go smoothly. My dear Marabelle, if only you had been like Elizabeth there.." Cassius points of towards a female in the corner, who to Marabelle's horror had been dismantled and rearranged.
"She holds the record, six months and five moons.. Nearly twice your time here. Makes you feel rather worthless now doesn't it? Then again, I suppose it does mean you were the quickest to discover this little mystery..or perhaps you were just the most simple minded, unable to hold back her suspicions."
A cold laughter begins to arise, sending goosebumps down Marabelle's back. While Sir Cassius slowly began to close the door, leaving just a crack. Enough to see only his eye. Seemingly lite by the red flames of the devil's own soul.
"Sleep still my lovely wife..I really am quite pleased you found my little secret. Will give me much needed entertainment in the days to come. Don't fright either, no boogeymen will get you in the night, your sister wife's will protect you nicely..now them, play safe my sweeties.."
With that, the door slams shuts and the sound of the locking key echoes throughout Marabelle's head. Seemingly drowning out her screams within the utter darkness of her new found prison..

15/Février/1473

..Marriage of Sir Cassius and Ms Daknor..

Chapter Notes:

Obviously isn't the greatest story out there, but probably one of my favorite writing pieces. Only wish I was able to make the final scene instill more fear and dread..

As an in school assignment I actually was rather excited for this. Finding enjoyment in these themes and topics regardless. So being able to flex my literary muscles was an added bonus.