Someone please make us green again! | Teen Ink

Someone please make us green again!

By B3n4141 BRONZE, Minster, Ohio
B3n4141 BRONZE, Minster, Ohio

"Were it so easy?" -Arbiter

I was born with a gift; I can tell how much time someone has left based on a colored aura around them. The color around you can range from green, living a healthy, long life, to a deep crimson, near death. Most people, younger people, have a vibrant green. This means they will still live a long, productive life, have kids, and die of natural causes. Then there are the few that have an orange or red around them. They usually die of sickness or an accident in their late teens to early twenties. Then there are the middle aged and older adults. Some still have a fairly green/ yellow aura. Most of them, though, don’t have much more time, maybe 15 years to live. The thing is, I can’t tell anyone, I mean anyone, about my gift.  Not only because I’m the only person I know of that has it, but the fear of having to tell someone how much time they have left can be very heartbreaking and personal, maybe even seen as threatening or psychotic. People will start asking questions. I’ll become famous, perhaps more infamous than famous, and never get to live a normal life again.
So today I woke up, had my breakfast, showered, and got dressed for school. It’s a beautiful day outside.  The sun’s shining, the grass is green, and the birds are chirping, and right as I open the door to go take on the world, I finally get a glimpse of myself in the glass door window. That’s when I notice something terrifying. I look at my hands and my arms for myself to make sure I’m not seeing things.
I now have a red-orange aura.
What?! It was green last night! It was green when I woke up! I instantly begin thinking to myself, What did I do? Oh God, what did I do? I’m not sure, I live in a fairly small town, there aren’t any gangs or escaped convicts around, my car’s in good shape, and I’ve never done anything extremely illegal. These thoughts go through my head all the way to school. During all my morning classes I’m still trying to wrap my head around it, but I can’t. Everyone else is orange, too! The sad part is that none of them know, only if they knew! Only if I knew how to stop this!
While walking to a table during lunch I look down at my hands, and then nearly drop my tray. Not only am I now glowing crimson, but everyone else is, too. The teachers, the students still getting their lunch, and the other kids at the tables all have a blood red glow. I immediately begin weeping silently, no one must know. It might only make things worse, or people might become suspicious of me, telling them we all may die very soon. My friends ask me why I have been acting so strange today, I say my grandmother in Nevada died this morning, I couldn’t think of anything else logical to tell them in the heat of the moment, all my thoughts are jumbled and I feel sick. After lunch I go to 5th period, though I shouldn’t have. I should have just gone home. Everyone’s still red, talking amongst themselves; it is chilling to see how oblivious they are to the situation. I think of ways to tell the class. It’s not a very sizeable class, maybe 24 kids or so present.
I could save them, or at least a few. Then I stop myself, thinking this all may go away, that someone out there may prevent the incoming chaos, make us all green again. Please, someone make us green again! I hate this so called “gift”! I regret getting out of bed this morning! Suddenly I regret not speaking up. I watch horror as my professor walk in the auditorium with a large duffel bag.
His aura is still a sickly green.