Rusting Into Me | Teen Ink

Rusting Into Me

By alison_bishop BRONZE, Wauksha, Wisconsin
alison_bishop BRONZE, Wauksha, Wisconsin

"I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.

Is anyone out there? Are you alive? I got power working, the internet is up. I’m in Boston, no one else is here. Come to find safety.
I clicked send for what had to be the 100th time. There had to be other survivors, I have 6 people in the city. There has to be more. Am I the only father left?  Are there really no other kids for them to play with? My wife was sleeping, our five kids around her.
My daughter will never be able to walk down the aisle, my sons will never know true fun. My wife will never see our kids be truly happy. Everything I promised, everything I wanted has turned to dust. My kids, safe in their dreams. It’ll soon be time to teach them how to defend themselves. We’ll need more guns, who knows what could be coming our way.
Thieves? Families like mine? The government? We won’t know, but we need to be ready. I wonder what my wife will think of our boys handling real guns, not a video game controller. What will our daughter think of the possibility of killing something other than a fly?
You have a message.
Someone else is alive!
I am in Boston as well. Looks like you aren’t alone.
“Honey, I thought you said no one else was here!” My wife said, sneaking up behind me.
“I.. I didn’t know.”
“Oh you must of known! All day and night on that computer, saying it’s worth the energy we have left! But it’s not worth it, is it?”
“It is!”
“No, don’t talk. Turn the computer off.”
“N..”
“I said turn it off!”
I stared at my wife, not knowing what to say or do. Finally I turned around and turned the computer off. She quickly went to the outlet, pulling every coord out, then went over and smashed the screen of the now dead computer.
“Maybe now you can spend time with me. Not the computer.” I turned to look at her, she wasn’t the same. Blood trickled down her neck.
“Honey you’re bleeding!” She slowly lifted her pale hand to the slash on her head.
“You did this, you did this.” She bellowed at me.
Then she disappeared, as if she was never there, but those three words echoed through the room.
I felt a warm liquid in my hands, looking to them, I saw glass crusting to my fist. The screen had my fist imprinted in the distressed glass.
“I did this.”

This post apocolaptic story has some surprises up it's sleeve.