The Misunderstanding of Ethel Rosenberg | Teen Ink

The Misunderstanding of Ethel Rosenberg

April 16, 2015
By RissaBHS BRONZE, Belleville, Michigan
RissaBHS BRONZE, Belleville, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's the Eye of the Tiger..."


Dearest Family
As you may not know, because the news travels so slowly in the USSR, I am being held captive in the United States. I am being wrongfully accused as being a spy. They have put me in a 9x9 cell in the max security prison, it unfriendly, dreary, and at night I listen to the screams of the other prisoners, who are going through with drawls from their medication. The screams, the innocent pleas, and the dark past that haunts us all at night, of the crimes we have or have not committed is the reality we all face while being in our dark cells. The guards will torture us with their emanate freedom; we are treated like the lowest of the low here. The man in the cell next to mine was convicted on charges of being a murder, now he awaits a second trial to see what his punishment is. But me Ethel Roseburg, prisoner number 205614, the so called spy against the United States, trading secrets with Russians during the WWII regarding the atomic bombs,  is being wrongfully accused for her crimes. I had nothing to do with any of these events that they are blaming me for.  For now, I sit alone in this cell with the whole world against me and Julius, as we await the punishment that only one of us deserves. As the flash backs of our previous life haunts me, and how I wish I could return back to our family, in safety.  This is my story and I intend on telling it through the eyes of an innocent women.
It all began when we met, how madly in love we were, it was New Year’s Eve at a gathering that most people went to during that time; it was the grand union fundraiser. I was a well-known singer where I came from as many of you know, and Julius was a business man for the Union. From then on it was love at first sight; we were always laughed at because we were so inseparable. A year or two went on and I gave birth to our first child, Michel was the ray of sunshine that brought so much joy to our lives four years later we had our second child Robert.
What I didn’t know about our happy family, is that all those family events that I would host, when Julius was absent, he was meeting with a group of young men at the Union. Julius had been recruited by a young man in the United States to gain more information about the Atomic Bomb. Now, keep in mind that this time period was when Hitler had just died, and all the madness had only begun. This had been considered family beings how Julius and the family were from the Jewish culture. But since he had passed; the family was freed of any scare. Khrushchev had taken over as the new Communist leader and used his ideology to influence the communist power, which I think influenced my husband to join the forces. He was planning to pay the spies for their duties.  But now that I am sitting here analyzing all of these things, the only reason I think the family wasn’t taken was on the account that Julius was a spy committing the crime of espionage. Now the things I tell you about the communist party are very secret, no one in the United States knew anything about the country having communist ties.  Even Julius didn’t know the true name of the man that led him into this top secret world. It was like being alone all the time he was never home and left me and the boys wondering where he was, or if he was alright. The world had turned into a dark and scary place filled with violence, Hitler was turning into being more powerful, than the country thought they were ready for, and we lived in a constant state of fear. Wondering if his ideology was going to spread into our homeland?
One night Julius came home and said we had struck gold and that we should go and celebrate. So we dropped the kids off at our friend’s house and decided that we were going to go out to eat, at our favorite little Italian place. We got our usual spot near the back toward the window.  We ordered our usual bottle of wine and our food, when he began to open up about the past couple months spent with this stranger. I was horrified to find out about this mission that the two of them have been doing for money.  He began to tell be everything, the atomic bomb, the USSR, the money flow, and the secrets that could put our family in grave danger.
The talking was silenced by the chewing and drinking of the food and wine. When from the front of the building enters a large group of men. Weapons were drawn, and flash lights risen, as the whole restaurant fell to a dead silence. As the people in the blue vests approached our table, they treated us as if we were mass murders.  People stopped eating to watch this “show”, I personally had no idea what was happening. As they realized we were flesh eating cannibals, when dropped their weapons and put us in hand cuffs, to take us to the downtown police station.
Inside was filled with flickering lights, weird smells, and strange people. As they separated us we went into the interrogation room, a lightly lit room, with a table bolted to the floor and one wooden chair that sat across from that table. They began to question me on events that I knew nothings about. Things I had zero involvement in.  Where down the hall they began to question Julius about all the events, and he claimed to have told them, that I was the one who worked next to him side by side.  He began to bribe them with our two sons, pleading that if they released us, they could take our sons and used them in whatever way they wanted. A sick man he is and forever will be.  So now I sit here and await the punishment in which I do not deserve.
A couple weeks later the couple was sentenced to the electric chair. Even though all the writing was complete the letter was never sent to the family due to the current nature of the situation.  For all they know, it could have contained top secret information on more bomb material.
With love,
Your Dearest Ethel


The author's comments:

In class we had to write the piece for the Cold war- spy era.