The Dogs | Teen Ink

The Dogs

The howls came first. Panting, gasping for breath, I leaped through the alley way. Two more streets to home, I told myself, you can make it. Just keep running! My silent motivation pushed me on. The barks, oh those horrid barks, echoed in the streets behind me. I could almost feel the hot breath on my legs, feel the burn of their fangs sinking into my leg.
My breath was ragged, my muscles ached. I turned the corner. My house was on the next street. Just a few more minutes… Time was what I needed, but I wasn’t sure if it was something I had.
A howl picked up close behind me; too close really. Goose bumps traveled up and down my arms, beads of perspiration weaving their way through them, flying off onto the hard, cold pavement below. My lungs felt like they were going to explode. Sprinting, sprinting on. I wouldn’t stop. I couldn’t stop!
A dog barked down an alley way to my left. My limbs froze in terror, stopping me mid-stride. There was no possible way… No! You have to keep going! Don’t think of yourself, think of them. And with that I was off again, but I had lost precious time. Running, running on, running on past houses, running on past people crouched in those houses, people who were safe. People who are smarter than me.
The corner at last! I turned it sharply, but hot breath was on my heels. I could feel that thick, putrid breath on the backs of my bare knees, hear the grunt of pursuit. I pushed myself harder. The blue door was in sight. But the fence…the gate was latched, though it wouldn’t take much for it to be taken down. But, if I angled it just right…
I was full speed but I pushed myself further. I need just a few extra inches, just a little more time. I grabbed the edge of the fence and threw myself over, landing awkwardly on my feet. I heard screeching of claws skidding past my gate, but they’d be back in a second. With a leap, I skimmed the three stairs to the little landing and pushed open the door, falling in. Trembling, I pushed it closed with a bang, my hands shaking as I did the locks. Every muscle screamed with fatigue but I managed to make it to the back room.
“Justin? Justin, is that you?” My moan was her response. Mom crawled out from the closet, pulling me into her arms, rubbing my sweat-soaked back. “What on earth were you thinking?” Mom cried, tears running down her face. “Why did-“
“Justin!” Hannah tumbled out, throwing her arms around my neck. “We was so scared for you! We was scared you was never ever gonna get back home ever ‘gain. So scared,” Hannah was trembling and I held her in my lap. The loud barking outside turned our attention back to the situation at hand. Hannah clung to me.
“I brought you some bread,” I pulled the smashed, sweat-covered bag from the inside pocket of my jacket.
“Justin Mark-“ Mom couldn’t help smiling, the tears coursing down her cheeks.
“Food!” Hannah’s whispered squeal made everything worth it. I handed her a piece and she devoured it.
“So thoughtful. So brave. Just like your father.” The mood sobered as the howls continued outside.
“Why do dey have to be so loud every nigh’?” Hannah asked, shrinking away into me.
“Why does the government feel the need to frighten its citizens into doing its will? To terrify young children and take away their food? To-“ I gritted my teeth, “to kill their fathers.”
“Justin-“
“No. I don’t want to sit around and wait anymore. The dogs have left us alone mostly, for now. But how long can we wait? How long will it take until we’re the next targets? No. It’s time to stand up to it. It’s time to stop this injustice. It ends now.”
“So much like your father.” Tears glistened on her cheeks. “But if you’re going to do any standing, my boy, you’ve got to get some sleep.” So I crawled into the closet, snuggling against Hannah and listened to the dogs howl as they ran up and down the streets past my house.

This was a prompt we had to do for English and I kind of liked how it turned out so I decided to post it. Yeah, let me know how you like it! Any constructive criticism would be great too!