Too Real | Teen Ink

Too Real

By Sara E BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Sara E BRONZE, Cupertino, California

Too Real

I woke up panting and struggling to think straight. I took a minute to recollect my thoughts. I wasn't sure exactly what was going on. Or maybe I did. I don't know; it all felt so real. I had a nightmare, a norm for me. I despised horror and murder and was utterly afraid of supernatural, yet I don't get any dreams except about them. Maybe thats why I dislike them so much. But this dream was different. What about it was different exactly? That, I don't know. I thought I had dreamt of every possible nightmare that could exist, but I guess I hadn't.
There was a man at my door, dressed dully. With him was a knife, his eyes piercing straight at me as I stood at the door frame. Without a second thought, he raced towards me. Thats it. What a simple dream. I've had much scarier dreams, what was I being so afraid of? Maybe it was because this dream was so vivid. Too real. I read somewhere about lucid dreaming and decided to comfort myself with the thought of that. It's normal for some people to dream dreams so realistically. I was so wrapped in my thoughts that I became wide awake as if ready to get out of bed, despite the dark surroundings. It was nighttime, 4:38 written on the clock.
I lied facing the ceiling. I tried closing my eyes but every time I did, the man would appear. I opened my eyes, though the room around me was just as dark at when my eyes were closed. I kept trying to close my eyes repeated times, but the silhouette and smokey features of the man were right in front of me, as clear as the eye could see them. I was scared. It was only moments later I realized when my eyes were closed, they actually weren't.