Mirror | Teen Ink

Mirror

March 26, 2015
By ruthfeng72 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
ruthfeng72 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Coming home is a middle-aged Carl’s Jr. cashier’s favorite part of the day. As I slid my key in the lock, I realized it made no noise. There are usually two clicks as I turn the key but I paid no substantial attention because I was so worn out. I stepped into my studio house, my little sanctuary that provides me with solace when I need it most.
Walking into my house is part of my daily routine, but something was off. I didn’t bother turning on the lights and I didn’t plan on doing so. I looked to the right and found my reflection looking back at me. I jumped at the startling sight but quickly came to my senses.
Of course, I thought. My mom told me she wanted to install a mirror in my bedroom.
I flopped on bed and slowly fell asleep as I watched myself look back at me. Next morning, I woke up and immediately shifted my attention to the wall of my room. The mirror was gone. I heard my phone go off and I reached for it as I ran through all the possible reasons of why I saw a reflection in my room. The text from my mom sent a bloodcurdling feeling down my spine.
It says, Sent 8:15 A.M. “Just dropped the mirror off at your doorstep. Hang it up ASAP! Love, Mom.”