Sawyer Harris | Teen Ink

Sawyer Harris

By Kelly Nelson BRONZE, Norton, Massachusetts
Kelly Nelson BRONZE, Norton, Massachusetts

Sawyer Harris 2:53 AM

They are making me write this to you. They think that you will help me get through this, but I know that you won’t. Nothing can help me now. Of course, people like you are still deciding my fate, but the lawyer lady says that I have a shot of getting off.
They think I killed her. You have to believe me, I may have known her, but I didn’t kill her. Maybe you can help me, but you can’t solve a murder. They are making me write down my story of what happened so I can say it to the jury later. I’ll tell you what happened, just don’t tell anyone, ok?
She was my true love. Her and I spent all of our time together. She would be drinking coffee, and I would stare at her. It was true love. Would you kill your true love? No. She would always say adorable things to me, like, “Sorry”, “Hey”, or  “Watch out, bud”. I’m sure your husband or wife says similar things to you all the time. That’s what love is.
I knew her better than anyone else.  I knew her favorite shops, resturants, her favorite room in her house to read. She loves to go out to dinner with this guy. I think he is her brother, because she would never cheat on me with that guy. His name is Henry. Do you know Henry? Maybe you do. He wears plaid shirts, jeans and flip flops all of the time, it’s just plain creepy. I’ve seen his closet, and I don’t think that he has a single shirt that isn’t plaid. He seems to really love his sister, because he spends most of his time with her. They are very close.
Anyway, you don’t care about Henry, he’s not important. On the night Sarah died, he was in Mexico. Unfortunately I wasn’t in Mexico, I was at Sarah’s house. She had just finished her baked beans and steak. She ate silently, with the TV blaring in the background. She didn’t see me, of course. I didn’t want her to. Have you ever snuck up on your loved one and just watched them, simply because you love them and everything they do?
She had finished dinner. She went over to her living room, which was right off the kitchen. The living room was my favorite room because of the elegant detailing on the fire place. It was so fine that you couldn’t even see the details unless you were standing right next to it.
Sarah used to have a boyfriend before me. He was tall, handsome, strong, and funny. I actually liked him, until he broke Sarah’s heart. I figured out that he was cheating on her with some blonde waitress. I knew Sarah would be devastated, so I took care of him. It was the perfect crime, no one was ever even named a suspect.  Sarah found out about his cheating ways when the waitress came to the funeral, also claiming to be his girlfriend. It pained me to see Sarah like that.
It was at the funeral that I knew Sarah loved me. It was the way she looked at me. You may not believe me, but she looked at me like she could see through the bush right into my eyes, and my loving soul.
They say I am getting off topic, so I suppose I will get back to the night Sarah was killed. She was in the living room, I was peering in the second window on the left. The red rug caught the light and made the comfy white leather couch have a red tint. You wouldn’t even have been able to tell it was white if you haven’t sat in it in the daylight. 7 weather with Pete Bouchard was on her small analog TV. I began to feel my hairs stand up on my neck, and I knew something was wrong. 
Sarah felt it too, because she looked around, glaring thoughtfully around the room. I was admiring her panicked look, when she saw me. Her eyes lit up, and her face turned as white as snow. She grabbed for the magazine holder where I knew she kept a Glock 42 handgun.
That was when it happened, that flash and the loud crack. When it died down, I peered in again, to see her lifeless body, propped up against the couch. I was the last person she ever saw. I witnessed the death of my true love.
I don’t know what killed her, but They think I did it. You know that I didn’t. That is why I am in the middle of this trial. All of the evidence pointed to me, only because I had the same model Glock that she had in my hands.
My time is up, and this has been fun. They are coming to get me for the last day of the trial. Henry is not her brother, she was cheating on me. They never would have caught me. They wouldn’t have, if Henry hadn’t been killed too.