Meet You On the Other Side | Teen Ink

Meet You On the Other Side

By AdeleandLoriforever SILVER, Brecksville, Ohio
AdeleandLoriforever SILVER, Brecksville, Ohio

The good thing about bad days is they only last 24 hours. <3

I had the dream again and again. We would be in the building, you would call my name and scream come on it's time to go. I would walk farther into the fire and you would come after me. I made it out alive, you died. Three years later the nightmares still would come, It didn't help that everyone at my highschool was scared to come by me because of my face. In the fire I made it out alive but half my face was burnt off. There was no skin, just bone. I remember the pain so clearly. My teeth were melted away on the right side of my face and around my eye was black burnt bone. I had woken up in the hospital two days later, and I couldn't remember anything.

I had one friend but he acted like he didn't know me in public. I was the lowest of the low and I spent all of my time in my room. It was the one place where I wasn't judged. My only true friend was my cat ;Mittens. I loved him for one reason. He was just like me. He was missing half of his leg. The pet store said that he was abused by his last owner and I promised Mittens that I would never hurt him.

One day I was walking to school and I saw a boy across the street. He was crying and an elderly woman was trying to calm him down. He hit her and ran. I saw where the boy went he hid in the spot where I usually hid from the bullies. I followed him and I found him crying. I walked over toward him and he looked up. He didn't run away from me, He looked up at me tears filling his eyes he wiped them away. They quickly returned. I bent down and wiped them away. He looked so familiar but I didn't know from where. I asked him what his name was and he said Jess. I told him my name; Lydia Romen. He smiled then looked away. He pushed past me and ran. He wasn't scared of me. It was odd but it brought back memories from that night three years ago. I pushed them away and continued to school.

I saw Jess in the hallway at school and he bumped into me he helped me pick up my stuff and I saw him slip a note into the cover of my book. I didn't read it until I was in my next class. The note scared me and I dropped it. It said see you on the other side. I had another flash back. It was of me and a boy. We were younger and he was pushing me on the swing, It was Jess. On my way home from school i saw Jess. I needed answers so I walked over to him. He heard me coming and he ran off. I followed him into the woods by my house. Every time  I seemed to get closer to him he seemed to be farther ahead. I followed him into a graveyard. He stood over an empty grave. It had a tombstone above it. I didn't see what the stone read but I saw that Jess had a grin on his face. He beckoned me forward and I stepped forward. He held a shovel. He asked me to hand him his hat which had blown in the grave. I jumped down into the grave and before I knew what had happened I felt a sharp pain in the back of my head. I put my hand to my head and felt warm sticky blood. I fell. A few seconds later I opened my eyes to see Jess covering my body with dirt. I closed my eyes again and screamed. I felt the sharpest pain in my knee. Jess brought the shovel down upon my knee once twice three times. Then he stopped. I couldn't move my body. I closed my eyes for who knows how long. Bright lights shined in my eyes and I looked up to see the police. The police had gotten numerous calls from nearby neighbors reporting screaming coming from the woods. Above the grave where I was buried it read the name Lydia Romen and on the tombstone the words were engraved see you on the other side. Next to my grave Jess was leaned up upon a nearby tree with a knife in his neck.

Ever since that day the flashbacks were coming back from three years ago. I was able to tell the police what had happened. I saw Jess in all of my nightmares. They never stopped. I wanted to die. One night I made a choice. I walked over to my bed tied the rope and pulled. I woke up to the noise of a pounding on the door. It was just a dream I told myself. I got up and walked downstairs. I opened the door and there stood Jess. He reached into his pockets pulled out a knife. I didnt have time to scream he plunged the knife into my neck. The last words I heard were see you on the other side.

Someone very close to me told me to write from my heart or write about things that I love and I realised I jsut don't need anyone elses approval to be myself. Be unique by being you.