Babysitter | Teen Ink

Babysitter

My day started like any other day. I got up late (like usual) and ate my breakfast, warm Pop Tarts fresh out of the toaster. I left for school a little later than I should have. I go outside and notice the sparkling frost hugging the grass. Luckily I brought my jacket with me today because it was freezing! The sunlight beamed from between the cloud crowded sky as I walked out to my old red truck. I hop in and turn my heater to full blast before even putting my keys in the ignition. I started my journey to school, while I passed the elementary right by my school and bumped my way around the corner into my high school parking lot, which was, of course, all the way full. School had a weird vibe about it; everyone seemed really uptight and antsy.I got out of school and quickly headed to my truck to get home and rest a little before going out to babysit later that night.
Mrs. Parker, who lives a few blocks away from me, was who I was babysitting for. She has two little kid: Alice, who is 3, and she is such a character; and her little boy, Cody, who is 8 months old and has the cutest baby face known to man! I get home and throw my backpack down before running to my empty fridge to see if any ready to eat food will just appear,but sadly nothing does. I sit down on my couch, grab the oddly shaped remote, hoping it will click something good onto my tv. I turn it on and the news shows breaking news flashing on my screen. I see a man in a hooded black jacket and they say to watch out for this man, that apparently he is a serial killer in my area. I roll my eyes and think nothing of it. Like, who honestly worries about that? I think to myself. I turn it off and go distract myself on my computer. I decide to take a nap because I might have to be up a little late with the baby. I wake up in a panic after looking at my alarm clock seeing that it is 10 minutes til I need to be there and I haven't really gotten ready. I look at my brick of a phone and notice 5 missed calls and voice mail from Sally Parker. I panic even more than I was and hurry and click 3 on my phone and call. It took a couple rings until Mrs. Parker answered her phone in a frantic voice. I calmly asked her what was wrong and she told me that her husband wasn't answering his phone and should have been home an hour ago. I told her that I was on my way and she needs to stay calm. She told me he has been late a couple times this week, but not this late.
I’m frambled. My hair is a mess, I'm wearing my track suit and I grab my bag and head out into the dark, frosty night. I shiver with nerves and from the cool touch of my trucks car handle. My car utters as I turn it over and switch the little button all the way to heat. I pull away from the front curb of my house and drive like a racecar driver winning on the last lap. I arrive at Sally’s house and run in through the door without shutting it and run to the perfectly placed living room where I see sally and her kids sitting. Sally decides that she should go out looking for him and so I tell her it was better the kids stay here.
I willingly tell her that I would stay there and watch them. I turn on a movie to distract them. In the background of the sing along on the tv I hear the washer turn off and make a beep so I head to basement stairs and look into the dark crowding basement. I start heading down the stairs but then I hear it start up again, I just figured maybe it was done with a cycle so I headed back up the stairs. As I closed the door I heard it beep and stop again. I open the door again and head back down as I am half way down I heard it start up again and I think I heard something moving around by the washer. I run up the stair and chills run over my body and an uneasy feeling rushes through my stomach. I go to Alice and ask her if she has a cat, hoping that is what I heard. She said they do. A sigh of relief came over my body until she said “But she got ran over a couple days ago.” The feeling instantly came back. I hear the washer beep again and I tell myself I WILL NOT GO DOWN THERE.
I get nervous after I think I heard steps coming up the stairs. I grab the kids and set them closer to me. I hear the steps getting closer. Then I don't hear them at all. The clank soon continued but got further away. Then as I stared at the white basement door I hear a cell phone ring. I grab my phone but there is nothing showing up on the screen. I’m not getting a phone call. I feel my nerves get more and more uptight. I tell Alice that we needed to go on a walk and look for dad. When honestly all I wanted to do was get out of that house. I throw on Alices coat on her small body of bone and skin and bundle baby Cody up in a blanket and head to the door. I walked faster away from the house than I ever have walked anywhere. I left little Alice in the dust as I walked as fast as my long legs could bring me. I decided I should probably call Sally and let her know that we went on walk incase she showed back up at the house before we got back. I reach to my sweat bottoms and realize I dont even have pockets in these so how could I have my phone. I remembered leaving it on the couch . I keep on walking and decide to walk to my house a couple blocks down. I grab Alice’s arm and pull her along with me almost at a running pace. I get to my house and relief again swept over me like it did as soon as I stepped out the door. I went to my phone and clicked the numbers to Sally’s number and she answered after the first ring and asked if I was alright.I answered. “Yes.?” she told me that she has tried to call my cell phone several times. I quickly wondered why and she said the police were tracking a serial killer in our area. I went pale. I started shaking. She told me the police were investigating around her house and they found a man leaving her house. I started crying. I told her that I thought I heard noises in the basement. She stopped me in what I was saying and told me that the police had also found her husband. I quickly asked where as she repeated herself. “They found a man leaving my house.” I thought for a second and then it clicked. The thought repeated in my head. Poor Mrs. Parker.

I wrote this for a scary story we had to write for english!

on Jan. 30 2015 at 9:08 am
Kaitlincutie GOLD, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Whether you think you can or can't, you're right

This story is AMAZING!!! It really put me in suspense, unlike most scary stories