The Missing Page | Teen Ink

The Missing Page

December 11, 2014
By Olivia Schettino BRONZE, Thornwood, New York
Olivia Schettino BRONZE, Thornwood, New York
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"In her furred travelling-dress, Estella seemed more delicately beautiful than she had ever seemed yet, even in my eyes. Her manner was more winning than she had cared to let it be to me before, and I thought I saw Miss Havisham's influence in the change" (Dickens). Her gaze, a gaze with unintended purpose connected with my own, and an essence of a part of her that in all my years unrequitedly admiring her I had never had the strange pleasure of coming in contact with. The white wind swept a gentle curl across her porcelain forehead, as if it were the kiss of an angel laid precisely there for my viewing; but she traced her delicate fingers across her temple after an instant to refrain from the beautiful distraction. I presume she realized my entrancement, as the light in her eyes abruptly diminished like a supernova kindling its final, dying blaze. Cold eyes burning as her graceful wrist bent ever so slightly as she placed it in the tender curvature of her hip. Preparing to utter words I know do not, unfortunately, proclaim her affection towards me, she sighed a sigh that seemed to inhale the life out of the yard. It only made me wonder how the fur adorning her small frame could’ve possibly died a less devastating death than my fluttering heart.


"I am going to Richmond," she told me. "Our lesson is, that there are two Richmonds, one in Surrey and one in Yorkshire, and that mine is the Surrey Richmond. The distance is ten miles. I am to have a carriage, and you are to take me" (Dickens).


“Whatever you wish, Estella”, I inquired, as her rosy lips parted ever so slightly

This is my purse, and you are to pay my charges out of it. Oh, you must take the purse! We have no choice, you and I, but to obey our instructions. We are not free to follow our own devices, you and I" (Dickens).