Who Do You Trust? | Teen Ink

Who Do You Trust?

December 9, 2014
By Waterbottle BRONZE, Castle Rock, Colorado
Waterbottle BRONZE, Castle Rock, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Mom! I’m going to the mall with Maggie.” I said to my mom as I slammed the front door and hopped into Mrs. Johnson’s car. Maggie and I have been waiting for this trip to the mall for weeks. And today we finally convinced our parents to take us. We listened to Taylor Swift the whole way there, that was Maggie and I’s favorite singer. Mrs. Johnson dropped us off at the front of the mall.

“Your mom is picking you girls up right?” she asked. Maggie and I were already running to the door as I looked back and shouted.
“Yup! I will make sure Maggie is home be five.”
    It didn’t take long for Maggie and I to start shopping. We had two hours until my mom was gonna pick us up and and we had to eat lunch first. So Maggie got Subway, as always and I got a smoothie. We sat down at a table when I saw an older man start walking our way.
“Maggie, Is that you?” he said.
“Hey Mr. Attwood!” Maggie said as she got up to give him a hug. Maggie was the social one. I was just kinda there with her as she did all of the talking.
“No, call me Jared.” Mr. Attwood insisted. I felt awkward calling a grownup by his first name so I just called him Mr. Attwood. 
“This is my friend Rachel.” Maggie said. Mr. Atwood started walking around The mall with us a little more, which didn’t bother me. Suddenly my phone started to ring when I answered to hear my mom.
“I am sorry sweety. I am in a bind at work and I am not going to be able to be there for another hour or two.” Maggie could hear the phone call as could Mr. Atwood.
“I Could drive you home!” Mr. Attwood said.  “ I was planning on leaving soon anyways.” Without asking me first, Maggie said,
“That would be great!”. She obviously trusted him enough to let him drive us home. I quickly texted my mom letting her know that I would be getting a ride from Maggie’s friend.
We walked out to the parking lot where he escorted us to his car. He drove a big white pickup truck that smelt like a gas station. As we started driving out of the parking lot Mr.Attwood took a wrong turn when Maggie told him,
“My house is the other way.” He didn’t respond. The car started to slow down when He parked on the side of the street.
“Give me your phones he yelled.” I was confused and nervous. ”Give me Your phones I said!” Maggie handed hers over as I did the same when we were in such shock I didn’t think to jump out.  We started driving more when he would not turn around towards Maggie’s house. My heart dropped to my feet. The only thing going through my mind was, is this really happening?
“What is going on?” I said. No answer.
“I thought I could trust you!” Maggie screamed. It all happened so quickly. We both had no idea what was going on. We looked at each other she mouthed the words “I’m sorry.” I started to tear up and that was when it finally hit me. I am being kidnapped...
Maggie and I continued to sit there and cry. We had no idea where we were or where we were going. “Shut Up!” Mr.Attwood screamed. Maggie and I sat there in fear. I have never felt so scared in my entire life. My whole body was tingling. I felt like all bad emotions were pouring out of me at the same time. Not knowing what to do I just started to cry even more . I started to think about my mom and my dad and my brother and how I may never see them again.Then I started to think about soccer and how I may never play again.
The car started to pull over to the side of the road when Jared Turned around and said “Don’t say anything!” I lost all respect for him so I stopped calling him Mr. Atwood. We drove up to a gas station when Jared got out to fill up his car and get us a snack. I was getting really hungry. He got us out of the car because he didn’t trust us being out here alone. There was no one close except for the man running the cash register.  We walked up when the first thing maggie did was run up to the drunk old man at the front and tell him we needed help.Looking at us laughing I could see the anger in Jareds eyes as I saw him walking towards us. “Girls what are you talking about?” He said trying not to blow his cover. He grabbed three Snickers bars and three waters and pushed us out the door. I looked back at the old man when I saw him holding a phone to his face. All I was thinking about was hoping that was the police on the other line.
We kept driving when we pulled up to a house in the middle of nowhere. Maggie and  I slowly got out of the car hoping we wouldn’t be here long. “Go inside.” Jared insisted. We walked up to the front when we could barely open the door because we were shaking so much. It was a nice house with regular home items. It didn’t look much different from my house. Jared walked us upstairs, “Here is your room.” He told us. All of the windows in the house were nailed shut and there was a key to unlock the doors. Maggie and I went to our room. Sitting on our bed crying we both looked at each other in fear not knowing why this was happening to us.
“This kinda stuff doesn’t happen to people like us.” Maggie said to me. “I swear Jared is a good guy. I have known him since I was a little girl.” It was starting to get late and Maggie and I didn’t dare to see his face so we stayed in our room. I laid down as I tried to go to sleep hoping that this was all going to be gone in the morning. I didn’t even get close to falling asleep. Sitting there watching Maggie sleep made me think a little more about ways to get out. I needed a way out and fast.
The sound of Maggies Yawn at 5:00 in the morning woke me up. “Do you think he is awake yet?” Maggie questioned me. We slowly walked down stairs to see Jared sleeping on the couch.
“This is our time!!!” I said to Maggie. We slowly walked towards the front door Creak. Creak. Creak. The floor made a louder sound every time I made another step. I slowly reached out for the door handle.
“And where do you think you are going?” Jared asked us. I slowly turned around to see him standing there.
“We just wanted some fresh air.” Maggie said trying not to get us caught.
“Get in here!” Maggie and I slowly walked towards the kitchen. As we looked around there were beer bottles everywhere you looked.
Jared turned around the corner with a beer bottle in his hands. He was drunk. I started to panic as I saw that front door was open. “Maggie run.” I said quietly.
“What?”
“Run!” Maggie and I didn’t wait for another second as we got up and ran faster than we have ever ran before.
“HEY!!! STOP!!” Jared yelled. Maggie swung the front door open as I followed behind her. My legs were moving so fast underneath me that once I got to the driveway I  couldn’t feel my legs. I could hear Jared’s feet hit the gravel as he tried to run after us. I looked back to see that he couldn’t even run in a straight line. I looked at Maggie to see a huge smile across her face.
“Rachel! He is getting in his car!” My heart dropped.
“Run Faster!” I needed a miracle if I wanted to run from his car. Jared caught up to us when he got out and threw us into the back of his car.  Weeooo weeeoo weeoo! I could hear police sirens coming from a distance. I turned around to see bright red and blue lights flashing. There was my miracle.
The car pulled over and tall skinny man hopped out and walked over to Jared’s window. “Hello my name is Sheriff Wood. There has been two missing girls in this state. We got a call from a near by gas station about suspicious activity containing two young girls.” The man at the gas station! I thought to myself. He was on the phone with the police! I couldn’t contain my happiness as I started to cry.
“Help!” Maggie shouted. “It’s us! We are the young girls! We have been kidnapped!” Sheriff Wood’s eyes blew up.
“Get out of the car.” Jared knew it was over. He knew that everything he did was for nothing. He slowly opened the door as Sheriff Wood didn’t hesitate to get him into handcuffs. He took him back to his car and stuffed him into the back seat. He ran back to comfort us. “Everything is gonna be ok girls.”
Another police officer came to drive us home because Sheriff Wood had to take Jared. It took about three hours to drive all the way home from Jared’s house and the police officer did not say one word the entire time. All I could think about the entire time was how my mom was going to react when she saw me. We drove up to the police station when I could see Maggie and I’s parents sitting on the bench shaking. I could see the fear in there eyes. All they wanted was for us to come home.
I jumped out of the car and sprinted into the building as Maggie was right behind me. I started to cry. Just like I do in every other emotional situation. My Mom stood straight up when she saw us running full speed towards them. Everyone stood up to give us hugs. No one could hold it in and everyone started to cry all hugging eachother I looked at my dad to see him crying for the first time.
Everything was over. I was so happy that Jared was caught, I got to see my family, and Maggie and I were both ok. At that very moment of happiness a police officer that I haven’t yet seen walked over to Maggie. “You are under arrest.” I looked at Maggie with a confused look on my face.
“Maggie. What is going on?” I asked. She wouldn’t say a word. “Maggie!” I screamed “Talk to me. What is going on?” I could see a teardrop roll down Maggie’s cheek.
“It wasn’t supposed to go this far.” She whispered.


The author's comments:

This is a suspenceful short story about two bestfriends tat make some wrong decisions while hanging out ine day. There descisions lead to horrible actions. But whos fault really is it?