The Big Mistake | Teen Ink

The Big Mistake

By Azelin Maxey BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas
Azelin Maxey BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas

In a cold dark room full of stubborn teenagers, a little boy appeared in the far right corner. His hair was black, his eyes were green, his skin was pale and his clothes looked worn out. His name was Mason and he looked about 10 years old. The teachers would never initiate his name or call on him to answer a question. He has always sung a short song in the beginning of class. He would follow all the rules and was never questioned. He stays in the corner of the room away from everyone else because he is a shy and mysterious kid. No one really conversed with him nor made eye contact mostly because they were afraid of the queered rumors about him.

One day Johnny and I had a plan to play a practical joke on Mason. After school as Mason walked home from school, we followed behind him about five feet away. Johnny, who was only 13 years old and a trouble maker, called Mason’s cellular phone and made a prank phone call. The boy answered the call. Johnny recited the words, “I see you” in a deep mischievous voice. Mason seemed scared so hung up the phone and ran the rest of his way home, unaware we were following his destination. Finally, he got home looking tired. After a while I did not want to do the prank anymore because it seemed too devious, but Johnny said it would be worth my time so I went along with it.
As the boy walked inside the convicted house Johnny and I hid under a shattered window. Carefully, Johnny released a jar of red fire ants into the house. I sobbed through the pain of something sharp being inserted into my back, tearing into my flesh. Once I turned around there was nothing but a pool of blood lying on the ground while the pain stopped. There were neither cuts nor bruises anywhere on me. Johnny had no longer saw Mason inside of the house. We felt a shadow casting over us and once we turned around, a human figure staring down at us. We stared in shock of who was there looking furious.