The Reaper Tale | Teen Ink

The Reaper Tale

By woolenweevil GOLD, Centerville, Iowa
woolenweevil GOLD, Centerville, Iowa

My son was always a different kid. He didn’t like playing outside or playing video games. No, he sat on the couch and watched horror movies. But then again, he was to follow in my tracks as the end bringer. That’s right I’m the Reaper. People call me Grim Reaper, Death, or even “Angel of life and death”. I don’t like the Angel one, but it is what it is. Someone had to do it, someone had to keep the population stable. But there’s only one of me and billions of them.
My son had strangely enjoyed every part of this cruel secluded life. I was constantly gone with work. My wife passed away when she gave birth to my son. His name is Dante. He’s currently 5 years old. His favorite time of the year was coming up. Halloween.  We would always go to a random town miles away and stay a few nights, he would stay in the hotel and I would go do my Reaper business. This year was different; he wanted to come with me. He was sick of staying in the hotel every year. It was a good as day as any, the boy was accustomed to the work that our family does.
I chose the town we were going to enter. Victor, Colorado. I researched the towns people and chose my targets. This year, there were 3. Michelle Williams, an older lady who didn’t really have anybody to rely on. Mike Reese, an average business man that didn’t seem to have many friends. And Tanya Good, the housewife with a secret affair.
We entered the town 2 nights before Halloween. This night wasn’t much help because of the long drive here, but tomorrow we were going to scope out the target locations. I had purchased a cloak, scythe, and a candy bucket for my son. Of course, I had the equipment passed down from generation to generation by my family. My son wouldn’t be doing any killing this time, but soon enough. That next day, we got in the car and checked the first location, Michelle’s house, simple, small, and there wasn’t a street light nearby. Next was Mike’s business, a cruddy looking law firm that looked as corrupt as him, he seemed like he stayed late at night. Then, the housewife, Tanya, her husband was out of town and she had no kids, but her “boyfriend” was there. Easy killings, and perfect for my sons first time. 
Halloween night. Dante and me got dressed in the classic Grim Reaper attire. A hooded black robe and a scythe. Dante had his candy bucket and we were ready. We pulled up to the first house. Michelle’s home. We got out of the car and walked towards the steps. I let Dante knock on the door. A little old lady answered the door, Michelle. Dante said the classic, “trick or treat” with a big grin. The old lady stooped down to drop the candy in his bucket. I saw the target spot for a kill.  I brought my scythe up and swung it down. The woman’s body fell to the ground in front of my son, her head landing in his bucket. He was smiling ear to ear. He grabbed the head and dropped it on the ground. He stared up at me and asked,” Dad can we go to the next house.”  We walked back to the car and got in. I took a towel from the back seat and wiped off my scythe. Didn’t want the blood rusting the blade.
I drove to the next location, my son in the passenger seat. We arrived at the law firm about 7:30 and got out of the car, making our way to the double glass doors of the building. I tested the doors to see if there were locked. They weren’t. We entered quietly and made our way to his office. I told my son that we were going act like we needed help and ask if he had a map. Then I’d strike the man dead.
We knocked on the fancy glass door and waited. Another knock and the man opened the door. He had a big beard, a big belly, and a wild look to him. He looked as if he had had a rough day. We were going to make his matters worse. I asked him if he could tell me where Green St. was. He told me he hadn’t heard of such a street around here, but he would look on his computer.  He invited us inside. We went in and Dante sat down while Mike and I went to his computer, I stood behind him so I could get a good swing.
I looked up to check on Dante, but I didn’t see him. I panicked and started looking for him. Mike helped in the search. We turned a corner to find his candy bucket on the ground. Mike knelt down and I seen Dante standing there and I see the kill point. But my son had already lifted his scythe, ready to strike. He had known the kill point I always went for. His scythe came down finding the point with ease. Mike’s now lifeless body fell to the ground, his head following with a spray of blood everywhere.
I was shocked at first to say the least. My son had executed the kill perfectly, even down to the surprise. My sons first kill and I didn’t have my camera. I was of course still surprised and looked at him with shock and awe. He smiled at me and picked up his bucket. I came to my senses and smiled. He was my son after all. My family wasn’t crazy, we just thought of our job to this world differently. 
We got to the car and I told my son to wipe his blade. He grabbed the cloth from the backseat and did so. I was hesitant at first. I had just witnessed my son kill a guy and he was only 5. But then I remembered it was how I got into it. My father was a reaper before me and he had brought me on a trip similar to this. No matter my son had what it took to kill and I was proud. I looked back at him in the backseat and smiled. He smiled back, but it wasn’t a happy smile, it was a demented smile. I shrugged and asked if he want to move on. He said yes. I started the car and clicked it into drive and we were on our way.
On to Tanya’s house, it was small and cruddy. But the porch light was on. We walked to the front door and my son stopped me. He told me that he wanted to do this one alone. I was outright shocked and a little angry. The boy was taking my favorite hobby. But I stepped back and told him to go ahead. He walked up to the door and knocked. No answer. He knocked louder. Nothing. He sighed and stepped back. I thought he was going to give up when he turned and rammed the door wide open. The door splintered off its hinges and Dante stepped in. he started calling the name of the housewife. “Tanya. Come out Come out wherever you are.” I stood there frozen; I didn’t exactly know how to react to it. I slowly followed him. When he spotted her. It was game on! He ran with a loud roar towards her. She stood in terror as the scythe came swiftly down to the kill point. The body fell with a nice thud and blood went everywhere. But Dante didn’t stop; he turned to the kitchen door where the “boyfriend” was sitting. Todd Ward. Innocent looking, but definitely on the wrong side of the law. He had the sense of terror on his face. He picked up a knife. I’ll admit I was scared at first, but when I saw my sons first attack on the man, I was impressed. He swung the back end of his scythe towards Todd, connecting with the hand holding the knife. My son stopped the scythe mid swing and swung it the other way. The man’s face had fear written all over it. His eyes met mine as the scythe hit swiftly through his neck. The head smacked the ground, along with the body. Both pouring out blood.
The killings were done for this night. We walked back to the car and my son wiped his blade. We drove to the hotel, it was late and I didn’t want to drive tonight. We walked in and I took off my outfit hiding my normal clothes. I had left my scythe in the car. We wouldn’t need it anymore tonight. But my son, he held on to his, his knuckles white and his face full of anger. I told him to go get ready for bed, but he just stood there. After a few minutes, I told him again.  The boy smirked and looked at me. His eyes were black and his grin had a devilish hint to it. He looked away, walking to the small bathroom to get ready for bed.
When he came out, he was in his normal shirt and jeans. His scythe was still in his hands. I told him to put the scythe down and lay down for bed. But he didn’t budge. I decided to give up and sat down on my bed. He would get tired eventually. I flipped on the TV and switched to the news. The killings were already being reported. I smiled, these were good kills, and my son had killed 3 out of 4 of them. I was a very happy father and would throw him a party when we got home. I looked up at him. He had gotten closer. He was staring at me, but it was lower than my face, he was staring my neck. He smiled and brought his scythe up. I was shocked, was he going to kill me? His own father. I told him to put the scythe down, he didn’t respond. I reached for the scythe as he took the swing. SMACK!
The end

i know this is a bit late for halloween, but heres a spooky story to fulfill your spooky desires.