Mimsy | Teen Ink

Mimsy

By ckyle1222 BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
ckyle1222 BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

It was always the same in Misty Ridge, doors were always shut and the sun never shined.  People were probably in their homes around the dining room table talking about the horrible events that occurred in the town just two years back. Lana Manson who was 5 years old disappeared like vapor fading into the sky after a heavy rain storm.  Nobody really knows what truly happened to innocent Lana, but me.  I was the only person who witnessed the girl fade away.  It was Halloween, 2012 and the neighborhood was happier then, more alive.  I made the courageous decision to leave my days of trick-or-treating in the past; to become more adult like, so I decided to pass out candy.  It was very tedious for all I did was say “Nice costume,” or “What are you supposed to be?”

I was just about to go to bed when I saw Lana Manson walking down the street.  She was happy like always because she had her eccentric doll, which she told me was named Mimsy.  I never understood why she liked the thing since as long as I had known Lana.  Lana had an older brother who used to be my friend before he left for college that is why I knew her so well.  “Mimsy” had a long red and black dress that had meticulous designs that feature swirls and different random symbols.  The doll’s face was pure white with red cheeks, yellow decaying teeth, and a mouth that looked like a clown’s mouth.  The doll’s hair was bright orange and a lot of it was falling out seemingly with each step Lana took.  Mimsy was a disgusting doll.  Yet I stayed by the door because little Lana Manson could make anyone have a smile wider than the ocean.  When she approached I noticed that she kept whispering to the doll.  When I handed her a Reese’s cup, I felt that creepy feeling that someone was staring at me.  As Lana took her candy I felt a cold breeze pass my face and I saw the doll five inches from my face just looking into the deep secrets of my soul.  I swear to this day that the doll was displaying a sinister smile “Say trick-or-treat Mimsy”and then she pulled it from my face wandered off.  I then sat around my house and then my mom walked in, “Hi Mom! Can I go out for a little to meet up with Roger?” 

“Yes, but I want you back at eleven- thirty you have basketball practice in the morning.” my mom said in a serious tone.

“Okay. I will be back before then probably,”  I replied.

As I walked down the cracked sidewalks that the mayor refused to repair I saw something bright and orange.  I reached to pick it up and knew exactly what it was, Mimsy’s rotting hair.  I continued, and saw more of it clumps and clumps as if someone had ripped all the remaining hair off the fragile head.  I then heard a strange noise coming around the bend in Lana’s backyard.  As I ran to see what the noise was I saw it- I saw what really happened to Lana Manson.  It was so frightening that I wouldn’t even believe myself if I told myself.  I witnessed Lana look into the dolls eyes that were beaming intensely bright red and within seconds Lana was gone like a lost thought that no one ever would know what happened to.  The doll then got up and walked to the house.  As Mimsy got to the door she twisted her head around faster than lightning to see me crying with tears at what I had just witnessed. The doll appeared to chuckle sending a freezing chill down my spine.  Finally I got up and started in a sprint, I didn’t see the doll, the ground, the frightening image in my head of Lana, all I saw was the lights of the houses that resembled my Christmas tree when it was plugged in and the LED lights illuminating my living room. When I made it to my front stoop I already heard the police sirens.  The police had swarmed the street like bees swarming a hive.  My mom ran outside.

“ What’s going on? I thought you were at Rogers? Is everyone okay?” 

“I don’t know what’s happening, and I left early.”  I wanted to tell her what had happened to Lana, but something inside of me told me that it would be bad to tell.  Also I knew that she would probably have thought I was crazy.  Maybe I was crazy, I mean come on a doll that sucks people into it.  It was probably just a crazy scene my brain made up, yeah that’s what it was a hallucination.  I did not see Lana disappear; I am just like everyone else I do not know what happened to her.

Tonight is Halloween, and they are having a “Lana Manson Memorial Party” hosted at the town hall building.  I left school early because I couldn't get through the “Lana Manson” gossip without feeling guilty of not telling what I had seen, even though I knew I had imagined it.  

My mom had made her famous pumpkin bread before she left for work, so I snacked on some of that and watched TV.  I slept for about two hours when I heard the doorbell ring. When I got to the door nothing was there, so I thought it was just Billy Majon  Misty Ridge’s famous prankster.  He loved to play practical jokes, especially on Halloween.  Yet as I walked back into the room the lights were off and the TV was turned off like no one had even been home. I thought maybe the power went off, so I turned it backed on.  I then heard a thump in my room.  Right in that moment the TV blasted, “Lana Manson disappeared on this day 2 years ago.”  I knew this couldn't have been a coincidence.  I then heard a window shatter. I crept down the hallway hearing each floorboard creak.  I saw the curtains that looked like red velvet cake, and I saw something, something bright orange.

I felt a tear roll down my face because deep down I knew what it was.  It was Mimsy’s hair.  It led all the way to my bedroom, and I was now crying.  As I walked into the room I saw her, I saw Mimsy.  She was standing up on the bed with a smile on her face.  I wanted to just go and throw the doll out of the window.  To end this once and for all but I couldn’t move.  Then I saw a news article pop up on my laptop and in bold it read “Lana Manson Missing? Family In Distress.” I was now bawling.  Then the doll seemed to chuckle, and then it shut its mouth and Mimsy’s pupils enlarged.  She stared deep into my eyes, because I couldn’t look away no matter how hard I tried.  I couldn’t take my eyes off of Mimsy’s .  I saw them turning the bright red, and I knew what happened to Lana was happening to me. Before I could react, I blacked out. 

I awoke with a strange feeling, I felt shorter,less massive.   I felt old and rotten, and I felt that I had changed.  Was this how Lana felt?  Will I see Lana now?  Will I see my family again?  What will happen to me?  All these questions but for some reason I couldn’t find an answer to them. Suddenly I heard a door slam and footsteps, and I knew it was my mom,

“Evan, I am home honey.  Are you going to the memorial party?”  she said loudly.   I wanted to tell her, “Yes, Mom.  I am going, are you?” but I couldn't , I couldn't say anything; it was almost like my voice was taken away from me.  Then I heard the footsteps get louder and then I saw my mom, but I didn't see her the same way I typically do, she appeared to be a lot smaller.  That’s when I realized I was not looking out of my eyes, but much more microscopic eyes.  Then she picked me up.

“What is Mimsy doing here?”

It was for a class writing assignment.